Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125370 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6390 on: September 25, 2010, 12:33:42 am »

Downloaded 31.14 on my main computer, as I was sick and tired of lagdeath on forts on my laptop. For some reason, my main PC doesn't support tilesets, so I get to learn the ASCII stuff. Fun.

Oh, and I have found the amusement that is watching [SPEED:0] dwarves go hunting. It's not a crossbow, it's frikkin' Metalstorm.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: September 25, 2010, 12:46:54 am »

So I embarked somewhere with two aquifier layers in the soil. Turns out the major river outright bypasses the aquifier, so since it was currently frozen I dug a hole through it and put walls around it. Turns out the aquifier wasn't removed by the river, but only displaced. Because I then nearly flooded the cavern layer, but was able to wall off the aquifier. My exploritory shaft descended and very quickly hit the second cavern layer. It dug one z-level enderneath the floor of the cavern and found the second one. Seriously, they are so close together that at some points only a floor is separating them.
All this before building anything(I usually dig to the magma sea very quickly in most fortresses).

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: September 25, 2010, 01:40:50 am »

I was just caging a few stray animals, only to suddenly find "giant cave spider" in my list of creatures.

Apparently, the two cage traps I put outside my mining shaft for locating caverns/magma came in much handier than I anticipated. I'd only put them there to take care of the trolls that kept busting through my locked doors. The doors were in place as a temporary measure while I got the upward ramps taken care of in the cavern I had breached.

Silk farm time, time to put out more cage traps for goblin-based spider fodder :D
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

sublight

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McCorruptintentions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: September 25, 2010, 03:13:47 am »

This was odd...

During my second migrant wave, the first migrant to arrive was a baby. After assigning jobs to the others as they came in I noticed the baby was still crawling on its own, so I gave it a look-over. No parents, no memory of losing parents, and so far seems perfectly capable of caring for itself. I named him "The Forsaken Child".

During the most recent wave, I got a War Peasant and a Master Thief, neither of which had any labor settings available.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: September 25, 2010, 04:53:09 am »

And what better way to celebrate the end of the siege than with Forgotten Beasts! Two of them! And my military still sucks. One of them is a giant flying lobster. On top of being able to bypass any my cavern barricades, he also spews deadly dust. He attacked almost instantly, tearing up the entire underground farm. He then encountered a forge master, who he is now chasing in a chamber 3 z levels beneath the heart of Townbrush. What is my military doing? I have no fucking clue. One of them is down in the caverns. The other is messing around outside. The third one is in the food stockpile, presumably shoving as many plump helmets into his backpack as he can to avoid having to fight. These are the brave heroes of Townbrush!
Use a station order as close to the FB as you can, they should run off towards it.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: September 25, 2010, 05:37:59 am »

I have built my first danger room for training the military, which is now legendary and dressed in adamantine. Furthermore, my faith in marksdwarves has been renwed and I have my first functioning archer squads since 40d. After the migrants max out my population, I shall open the HFS.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: September 25, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

I have built my first danger room for training the military, which is now legendary and dressed in adamantine. Furthermore, my faith in marksdwarves has been renwed and I have my first functioning archer squads since 40d. After the migrants max out my population, I shall open the HFS.

Same plan here pretty much. I've already got the danger room up though, and it is awesome. I can actually use my military to break sieges and stuff. I also now have an uber elite dwarf. Killed my first FB, fought off several goblins and managed to jam a skull through a brain in a siege right after having his arm lopped off by a Human 2-hander. Straight after having the enemy ran off the map he got back to training, holding shield and sword in one hand, with expert swordsdwarf skill. This is while my Militia commander and another military dwarf sit in hospital beds after having their right feet cut off with no diagnosis request. Ah well, they worked well in other battles.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:32 am »

A giant showed up before I had my military up and together, so I sent the ramshackle five dwarf squad to fight it.

There are now 3 elite wrestlers and a dead giant.

treytrey119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: September 25, 2010, 08:29:50 am »

Fission mailed....I had a good fortress going with an older version. everything was going great had every thing going right.but i thought i saved it and Check on it a few minutes ago. it must have bugged on me. :'(
who can be a failure in so many ways?
the government can! - tim hawkins the government can

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: September 25, 2010, 09:49:15 am »

Boltstruck was founded in 601 brookside on some nice rocky hills, sparse trees and 4-months of negative celsius.

Sounds nice, right? Not. Theres no iron. I'm sitting on gigatons of copper, silver and marble, but theres 0 cassiterite or ores of iron. My mighty 15-dwarf military is wearing all-copper(!) with silver warhammers, except some steel and bronze weapons and armor I managed to buy, and made out of imported bars. I'm seriously considering about sealing the entrance for good, and going for blue stuff I already found some(though, not yet reached). For the first time ever, I have to rely on traps(goblien thieves already killed 2 soldiers!) - I built a 11-z-level falltrap that is combined with some weapontraps(copper & silver hammers, goblin daggers...) both at the top and at the bottom.

Any hints? I found a large-ish nearly sphere shaped area of Granite, but it included only 2 veins of microlite, 1 silver and some gems. My dwarves are not going to starve to death and I can build barrels out nickel, lead, copper and silver, and have good stockpile of wood(+ at least first caverns seem to be more or less empty, with water, too). Just that I lack the ability to fight back with other than copper, silver and half a hundred cats and dogs...

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: September 25, 2010, 09:52:07 am »

In before your map has no solid adamantine and the tube starts at the top.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: September 25, 2010, 10:05:15 am »

Focus your imports on tin or casserite, along with bismuth to make Bismuth Bronze. That will get you the most out of the limited amout caravans will bring.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

Just got a Human bone mace. Hopefully made from the bones left from that siege. Truly awesome. Also my fifth legendary bonecarver.

E: I was continuing my exploratory shaft when I hit what looked like the magma sea, as I could see from the bottom of a magma pipe. But it looked like it might not be. I hadn't even discovered the 3rd cavern yet and was hoping to find the blue stuff, and it looked walled off in some places. I tried going further down but found warm rock and so mined around a bit trying to find a way through. Eventually I had a downward stairs carved and found the blue stuff. But it's warm rock. Wut? I haven't even seen the HFS yet. Nor the 3rd cavern. Is it usual for the magma pipes to make a magma lake sort of thing?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:50:53 am by Cheese »

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: September 25, 2010, 11:08:48 am »

Just got my sixth mood.
Frickin fey fisherdwarves, they know they are the first to die in an attack, so they make artifacts and get reassigned to the Craftguild.

Two questions:

If I destroy the worthless craft artifacts, will other dwarfs get moody and make more? 

I "accidentally" caved a mountain-sculpting project into my farm.  I thought, "Hey, let's make this plot an above-ground farm!"  I channeled out the rest of the area, and designated the plot for AG farming.  Nothing has happened, so I started cooking my seeds.  Why won't AG crops grow?

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #6404 on: September 25, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

how did your mountain cave on it? like so?

#  ########  #
#  ########  #
#  ########  #
#  *collapsing*  #
#   (Farm)        #
############

Look at what a totally original signature this is.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 3842