Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125569 times)

Reni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6330 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:31 am »

Seems like i'm finally getting the hang of it. I just slaughtered the first goblin ambush all on my own,  8) previously i always had help from a caravan or played without invasions. One Goblin escaped but at least she lost a leg to my weapon traps.
Now i'm stuck with four caged goblins and i'm not quite sure what to do with them. One idea i got was building a gauntlet with a few traps and release them at one end, so that they can escape to freedom if they should survive everything. But then i also had to build something so my dwarfs could watch and make bets on who makes it farthest and stuff which could take a while so i'll probaply just drown them.
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
Otto von Bismarck

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #6331 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:09 am »

Edit: Yep, I fixed it. The problem was with quantity specification - I was having it use 1/100th of a therium bar and 1/100ths of an iron bar to make 1/100th of a pherium bar, which the game then read as an untra-light, ultra-tiny bar of pherium. Naturally, the other 99/100ths of the therium and iron had to go somewhere, so they went into making more tiny bars of pherium. Thus, PHERIUMSPLOSION.

Aah, that explains it. bars now contain 150 urists of bar dont they?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:59 am »

Well, i finally struck clowns.

Fortunately, the upright spear/spike traps i set up were in front of the right circus tent, I quickly had exactly 100 clowns on their way to entertain.

However, none of the clowns can make it past my very first set of traps. At all. So far it's clowns:1(Idiot ran all the way downstairs for the 1 adamantine mined out to start it and got killed on the traps holding the clowns back) Dwarves: 22

Edit1: Apparently the first 25 were a distraction to keep me from noticing the others going various other crazy places and bypassing my siege engines entirely. Some went up a magma pipe and are getting put down by the 6 FBs i never bothered with in Cavern 3. Some of them did some ridiculous diagonal-up move(Water can't move in this direction, it is blocked by obsidian) to get into a failed experiment with water and the magma sea and destroyed my web gathering loom(which is worthless now anyway, i got pretty much everything down there, and if any is left, i have so much cloth it's laying around every workshop that ever used it totally packed full), however they still have to get past my 41 war bears and 24 man military.

Edit2: Several dwarves are shambling off towards the depths for no apparent reason, they have no job, everything is forbidden, and yet they keep going. They're quickly struck down by clowns and whatnot, however none of them are particularly important or irreplacable. A legendary engraver went down there, but turned around randomly and went back upstairs. Also a salt fiend punched a war bear's ear off and then his skull through his brain before he could even react.
Clowns:4+1(war animal), Dwarves: about 30 FBs: 6(wtf? they're not really impressive looking, but they are tearing shit up down there)

Edit3: A lone miner looking to put god knows what in a stockpile went ALL the way down to the siege engines, where a lone clown was waiting on him. He obviously fled, and is conveniently leading him under a cave in i had prepared earlier. Seems like a waste to blow it on one clown, however it's not going to cost me anything and it'll just be dangerous looking if i don't use it so i assigned the miner a small tomb in honor of his silly but not entirely useless sacrifice.

Edit4: Pulled the wrong cave in lever, killed all my war animals and all but two of my melee military units. So much for all that prep work. :/

Edit5: cave in caused the game to crash, and the earliest save is just before the start.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:17:20 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6333 on: September 23, 2010, 11:53:25 am »

I got my second forgotten beast!

This time, it was even easier than the first.  The military made short work of it, and then proceeded to obliterate a goblin ambush outside.

I have a legendary swordsdwarf who uses an artifact wooden weapon, and he is kicking ass!!

Now I have to deal with a human siege.  Unfortunately, the accuracy of my catapults is so poor that even if the rocks do hit the invaders, it seems it only deals minor damage.  After about two seasons of thrown rocks, the party of ten has one dude with a broken arm and another with a broken leg.  I don't yet feel too confident in my military to send 'em out...

Makes me wish I had a graphical way to show armor on my dudes, so I know I have the right supplies and weapons before I send them.

Anyway, maybe I'll send them out after two more seasons of rock throwing, just so I can finish my outer wall and hence finish protecting my fort and directing incoming invaders.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

//downloading 31.14.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

Alright, round 2. I fixed the hole they used to get in before, 50 or so of them blindly charged my upright spear/spike traps and 3 made it through wil a bunch of broken bodyparts but living, and instead of going towards my siege engines they went down the other vein and started destroying an experiment bedroom i set up to see how much an engraved bedroom in an adamantine vein would be worth, which was a *lot*

Edit 1: All but 1 of the FB's have fallen in cavern 3, their kill count so far is 13 clowns. I have to say i'm impressed, would have hated to had to tangle with those 4. The final FB wasn't in the main conflict and will now be way outnumbered, probably won't kill any.

The rest of the clowns are going to the other adamantine spike to finish destroying that bedroom. It was set up for a ruler, though I just realized i have to build roads and bribe her to come, and never really did too good on the roads.

Caught the clowns in a cave in the way i actually designed it and it blew up DF again :/

I give up, the fps is way too slow to fool with anymore.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:33:41 pm by Zaik »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: September 23, 2010, 01:20:32 pm »

Meh, oh well - you can easily rebuild once those things get done with the spike hall.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:00 pm »

Meh, oh well - you can easily rebuild once those things get done with the spike hall.

Well, i went back again and used dfliquids to put obsidian in all the holes and try again, they all blindly ran down the trap hall, only one type of demon even made it past that, and only some of those made it, fired off all 64 ballista arrows, they only killed dwarves that insisted on going downstairs for no reason with no job, however the siege operators killed the surviving nearly completely broken clowns without an injury.

Whee, i won, i guess. Upright spike/spear traps are probably too good for this, and ballista are really not good enough.

But hey, i'm gonna go build an adamantine palace in hell now or something.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: September 23, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »

My manager just created Targetkey the Sweltering Speakers, an artifact adamantine spear worth half as much as my entire fortress. I don't know whether to let my finest warrior wield it in battle, or lock it in a room where no one can steal it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

Tell me what is right with this picture. (Hint: I only switched environments)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »

So I'm training up a smith with my crapton of copper. Only 16 dwarves (Titans killed everything off), so no moods or titans or crap like that.

Got a fisherdwarf, a hunterdwarf, and a planterdwarf. All are churning our more produce than my butcher/tanner, brewer, and cook can handle.

All my mods seem to be functioning perfectly for once, and everything works.

...This begins to bore me. I think I shall build a tower out of green glass gem windows.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: September 23, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »

Did Townbrush die?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:00 pm »

We'd hear about it if it did.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: September 23, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »

I just got conquered for the first time by a goblin ambush!

If only I finished my Moria/Black Gates of Mordor ripoff...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: September 23, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »

Started a new fort in another "Sheer cliffs and a volcano" area, and it was going fairly well, until I looked at the time of the year.

Thus begins the mad rush to forge armour and weapons and create a danger room, to train a military to stop the inevitable goblin bowman ambush I will soon get.

Also, I got a grand master metalcrafter as a migrant, who got a fey mood as soon as he arrived. He's like legendary+10 now or something, so I'm all set for trade goods.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 3842