Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125670 times)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6300 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:55 pm »

I'm currently trying to train 200 or so war groundhogs.  Imagine a whole goblin seige destroyed by a bunch of little tiny rodents.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:09 am »

Operation MountainHollow proceeds apace within the walls of MineIron.  No migrant shall befoul my fortress until all my projects are done or the bugs regarding War and Hunting peasants cease to be!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:18 am »

I have successfully built the toilet trap.  Magma Variant.  8)

This baby uses pressure plates and hatches to trap invaders, dump magma on them, and send them either

a.)falling ~27 z levels to a field of 10 menacing spike traps then melting in magma on said spikes

b.)melting in magma on the pressure plate. 

after their death/incineration, the trap resets itself and the magma drains away 8)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: September 22, 2010, 05:05:31 am »

Ok, so there's this stairwell that goes down to the second layer of the caves, which is where I have my entire fortress. There was a goblin ambush, which killed 5-6 dwarfs before my military hammered at them some. For some reason they decided that instead of attacking some more or just retreating, they decided to stay in the stairwell and chill. I figured I'd just put a door at the bottom entrance of the stairwell and lock it since I did just fine without going to the surface. I could wait a while with starting my green glass industry.

Ta-dah! Worst case scenario happens! What is that scenario, you ask?  Forgotten Beast? No. Another ambush? Nope. Siege? No. Titan? Not at all. Accidentally breaching the circus?  I wish. What's that? Yes, that's right! Immigrants!

19 of them. I usually like getting more dwarfs since I could always make them generic workers and soldiers, but the quality of the timing on this is distilled crap.

I immediately put them into squads, give them the profession name "Cannon fodder" and tell them to attack the 4 goblins. Sure, they don't have any armor or weapons but surely 4 goblin jerks would be completely overrun by 19 dwarfs? Right? Especially when they're the only thing between them and the booze stockpile? Right?

No. There's still 2 goblins left. Hanging out and taking it easy in the stairwell. In a pile of dead dwarfs.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: September 22, 2010, 05:09:34 am »

I have almost finished placing the magma spouts in all the bedrooms, Soon the time shall come when I genocide the last of the Dwarfs.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: September 22, 2010, 01:20:04 pm »

The worst of the 1056 madness of Twinklecrypt, aka a tantrum spiral, finally seems to be over. Had 80 something dwarfs at the start and now that the last mad dwarf have starved, I have 21 dwarfs left, 5 of them children. I also had a nice crypt built where all the victims have been put, so no dead dwarf miasma anymore. still a few tantruming dwarfs here and there. Tried walling of some of my dwarfs to shield them from the tantrum spiral, but thanks to thelepathy they still started tantruming.

Now I just have to figure out what skills I am actually left with. sadly both the cook and brewer got lost. I did however have a mason that ignored everything happening that kept churning out coffins even as dwarfs where going insane and being beaten to death around him. He now got his own tomb as thanks for the hard work.

Theres also a cat with 3 broken legs, broken spine and broken tail that keeps dragging itself around by its one good front leg, trying desperatly to give his master a vermin he caught.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Hirkyl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:45 pm »

I started a new fortress and while preparing to strike the earth I noticed that the first five dwarves were female. I decided that if at least one more of the last remaining founders(the first seven dwarves) of the fortress would be female I would systematically kill all males and make a feminine aboveground fortress. In my experience the women have been the the better military dwarves anyhow, in my last fortress no man has any significant kills with the women slaying titans and forgotten beasts. Bitches of Messiahs seem to be doing surprisingly well despite killing half of the population and having only the barracks build at year two. I also refuse to trade with anybody as all the traders have been male so far.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6307 on: September 22, 2010, 02:18:46 pm »

That forgotten beast ain't goin' NOWHERE!

For the record, three dwarves died in the process - two civilians and one wrestler.

The warrior who killed the beast, incidentally the mayor, has thus been nicknamed "First Blood" for getting the fortress its first major beast kill.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:11:09 pm by Shurikane »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:12 pm »

I started a new fortress and while preparing to strike the earth I noticed that the first five dwarves were female. I decided that if at least one more of the last remaining founders(the first seven dwarves) of the fortress would be female I would systematically kill all males and make a feminine aboveground fortress. In my experience the women have been the the better military dwarves anyhow, in my last fortress no man has any significant kills with the women slaying titans and forgotten beasts. Bitches of Messiahs seem to be doing surprisingly well despite killing half of the population and having only the barracks build at year two. I also refuse to trade with anybody as all the traders have been male so far.

I did the same thing a while back for no reason other than the default fortress name coughed up by the RNG was Battlebitches. Didn't end well, since only 2 of the starting 7 were women...

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: September 22, 2010, 05:50:31 pm »

Elephants in cages, good. Elephants deciding to fight each other, not good. Elephants deciding to fight each other in the middle of the dance floor during a party, fun. The militia is training with real weapons, but seeing as all the weapons are steel war hammers, my doctors are finally getting some practice in. First artifact completed, a perfect sapphire that will be used in the first masterwork or better weapon. Can hardly wait till the first ambush shows up.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:40 pm »

Perfect gems are craft items. Unless you have the display case mod or something to that effect, it's useless.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: September 22, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »

Zombie Mountain Goats~!
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: September 22, 2010, 06:08:57 pm »

!!Urdim McBOOM!! Just went to get a litlle drink, I think you know how this one goes.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6313 on: September 22, 2010, 06:32:28 pm »

The fortress of Gloveflier now has just over 5000 mechanisms in stockpiles.  This is about a third of what will be required.  Mass-production of the several hunred doors, floodgates, floor hatches, and pump components has yet to begin.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »

An elk bird came up from the caverns and mauled a metalsmith. My mayor then beat the creature to death with his bare hands. It will be this act, rather than his ban on the export of boxes and bags, that will define the administration of Likot Odomber.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3842