Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122577 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #630 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:12 am »

I'm going to build an igloo. Or at least half of an ice sphere. But I discovered something. Every now and then, my haulers would haul small loincloths and small tunics and kobold corpses to my stockpiles. Apparently, it's cold enough to freeze them to death.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:36 am »

I'm going to build an igloo. Or at least half of an ice sphere. But I discovered something. Every now and then, my haulers would haul small loincloths and small tunics and kobold corpses to my stockpiles. Apparently, it's cold enough to freeze them to death.
They should probably wear bigger loincloths ;D

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 23, 2009, 08:45:03 am »

Oh yeah, that happens from time to time... doesn't say much for the intelligence of a species, when they come to a heavily defended glazier with nothing but a loincloth and a copper dagger ;)

In other news:
I started a new fort in a terrifying swamp/forest and we got skeletal alligators. The woodcutter (and proficient axedwarf) survived with broken right hand, right upper arm and right foot and is in bed now. Two miners with -dog leather armor- held the beasts long enough for the rest of the group to build a wall and moat with a drawbridge.
Walling everyone in is not the best thing to do, but with these monsters outside, no one will leave the safety of this fort until they have at least basic armor and weapons and some training to use them.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:07 am »

I'm willing to try....

Spoiler: worldgen params (click to show/hide)

If it does fail I uploaded my mod a few days ago here. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1695

I used my modded 40d and 40d16 with those params,   no lava on my 40d, but had a pipe and pool on 40d16 with my mods (orcs, lava safe, practice weapons).... I did have to make the map 6x5 to get it all, but it still had the 79 Z levels and chasm and brook.  I used reveal to find that there was a crapton of gold/silver/tetrahedrite/ and then copper and malachite ores on most levels of the map.  I think its a pretty good map....  even has flux.  No iron ores, but thats why I modded in orcs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 23, 2009, 10:38:29 am »

Turns out ogres pop out three babies ata time. I now have 12 ogre children in a pit with their war ogre parents, a war werewolf and a war rhesus macaque. There's also a war harpy who takes great pleasure in following my farmer who apparently trained her. With luck I'll catch a male  werewolf and harpy to start breeding. Im on the fence about wether I want a femal rhesus to start breeding them too. Though having my fighting chamber filled with Resse's pieces would be fun!

Fixed! lol, couldn't resist. :)

Anyways, after giving my last fort a bloody end worthy of Armok (corpses everywhere and body parts scattered about, plus the death sparring platform was covered in blood, until the rains came :P), I'm trying to use ultrafinder to find a good desert fortress. I'm a bit tired of it raining all the time.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:43 am »

I used my modded 40d and 40d16 with those params,   no lava on my 40d, but had a pipe and pool on 40d16 with my mods (orcs, lava safe, practice weapons).... I did have to make the map 6x5 to get it all, but it still had the 79 Z levels and chasm and brook.  I used reveal to find that there was a crapton of gold/silver/tetrahedrite/ and then copper and malachite ores on most levels of the map.  I think its a pretty good map....  even has flux.  No iron ores, but thats why I modded in orcs.

Good to see it worked for ya then I guess mineral mods don't cause significant changes to maps like I heard. :)  When I looked at the screenie while posting it I did notice the map square seemed to have 2 magma pipes and a magma pool.  I didn't notice it when I embarked the first time but when doing the savescum reclaim to get the location.   

As far as I knew you could only have 1 pipe and 1 pool per world map square.  So I don't know if its my mod or the odd map params that caused it.  In my version of the map there is a second magma pipe breaching the surface on the southeastmost part of the embark.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 23, 2009, 12:05:56 pm »

Ok, that last one with the skalligators (mmh, like that word) crumbled to it's tantrummy death after a little cave-in accident. Undead monsters are no danger at all, compared to dwarven stupidity.

The next one got an interesting start. A 5*5 site with a brook through the middle with magma pipe and pool on one side and some hills with an underground river on the other. Some trees on the surface, but not enough to block caravans, and the first stuff my miners hit after striking the earth and digging straight down were (in that order): yellow sand, magnetite, dolomite with a vein of bituminous coal, another cluster of magnetite and below that some bauxite. Hell yeah ;D

Would it be possible, that modding all the useless big-cluster stones like orthoclase or microcline to be small cluster, made the other big clusters (magnetite, bauxite) way more frequent? I have that nagging feeling, there's something wrong since I made these changes to the raws...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:28 pm »

Just started on a new fort, which for once didn't get slaughtered by wildlife upon embark. It has HFS somewhere on the map, for the first time in one of my fortresses. I dunno where it is, but knowing my luck I'll probably hit it pretty soon.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »

Your king has arrived, dressed as a peasant!
Buuut...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's missing a leg.
(I'm sure that I can use Companion to fix the leg if I feel like it.)

She also seems to have killed a hydra one hundred years ago, and had eight children elsewhere.
She even wears a hydra leather bracelet.
Will her advisor and consort come later, or never at all?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:07:58 pm by snaggles »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 23, 2009, 02:50:06 pm »

One of my fishery workers got a mood and demanded rough gems. I haven't found a single one and wrote him off and started preparing his casket. I've also lost my previous moods to rough gems. And then, just in the nick of time, my miner strikes Cherry opal.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

Your king has arrived, dressed as a peasant!
Buuut...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's missing a leg.
(I'm sure that I can use Companion to fix the leg if I feel like it.)

She also seems to have killed a hydra one hundred years ago, and had eight children elsewhere.
She even wears a hydra leather bracelet.
Will her advisor and consort come later, or never at all?

You'll never see them; though the advisor was formerly your outpost liaison.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:06 pm »

Maybe the advisor will come later with the next caravan? I know the adamantine king/queen works differently from the usual way.

Anyways, still trying to find a good desert site, its pretty hard to find one, heh.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 23, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »

Would it be possible, that modding all the useless big-cluster stones like orthoclase or microcline to be small cluster, made the other big clusters (magnetite, bauxite) way more frequent? I have that nagging feeling, there's something wrong since I made these changes to the raws...

I've done that, only to a further degree. I have no large clusters; magnetite is a vein, everything else a small cluster. The problem with retaining one or two large clusters is that you get an ungodly large unbalanced amount of it. My way basically eliminates platinum from the game, but that's all that's wrong with it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »

Currently torn between continuing work on my old unfinished fort or starting a new one with a fresh new idea that's been on my mind. I will be coming back to my old fort eventually, since I still have some serious goals I have to accomplish, but I've been working on it for over two months now and I want to take a break. Sigh. Perhaps I'm just a bit burnt out.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:33 pm »

Right now I'm flooding the pits beneath and the moat around my arena with magma. Then it's gonna be 20 armed (no ranged) goblins versus 1 legendary axedwarf and 1 legendary hammerdwarf.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 3842