Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126169 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6090 on: September 16, 2010, 03:42:05 pm »

Genned a new fort with a primo location: volcano, flux, sand, river, far enough away from sprawl (.13), two biomes with high savagery.

So we struck the earth... Just over a ridge from a cave inhabited by a family of four giants. Two of them have earned titles during worldgen.

For kicks, I unforbade one of the giants' large topazolites. Fun ensued.

So now I have to decide to send in an adventurer to clear the giants out or to re-embark and bait them into a line of cage traps. Suggestions?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »

The human merchants had traded with Townbrush for years. Though they had received great profit from Townbrush, they had also suffered much hardship in their travels. It took a great amount of courage and strength from both the merchants and guards to brave the undead infested wastes and make their way to the isolated fortress. And usually the fortress would not even be accessible. They would find that the few Dwarves that still inhabited the decrepit Fortresses had barricaded themselves inside. And the confused merchants would then be assaulted by the goblin horde before they could even think about heading back. The journey for most of these merchants ended at the knees of goblin swordsmasters. And yet they still game, enticed by the enormous profits Townbrush could provide to those lucky enough to decide. But when there liasion was once again cut to ribbons, it was clear that Townbrush was no longer worth the risk. The humans removed Townbrush from the caravan routes. They canceled all deals they had with the dwarves living inside. Their goal was to forget about the cursed fortress and the sorrow it had brought to them.

Or at least that is what the humans would do if they weren't a bunch of idiots. Instead they are sieging me because goblins kept killing their liaisons and caravans. Don't blame me for what the goblins did, siege them instead! The siege breaker isn't even close to finished yet, mostly because a bunch of zombie tuna keep scaring the masons. So fuck it, Townbrush is going into lockdown. Again.

EDIT: The human siege wasn't much to speak of. About 15 bowmen lead by an axeman riding a camel. Certainly not the biggest threat I'd ever seen. The idiots gouged themselves on the spike trap before fleeing. The only casualties were some octopre and a plump helmet man baby (these guys seem to have a high mortality rate). A mason got his arm shot off, but he managed to survive. He ran down onto the beach and then snuck back when I lowered the bridge to lure the humans. Still, the fact that humans are sieging me now isn't pleasant, even if they are weak.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:08:21 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: September 16, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »

Genned a new fort with a primo location: volcano, flux, sand, river, far enough away from sprawl (.13), two biomes with high savagery.

So we struck the earth... Just over a ridge from a cave inhabited by a family of four giants. Two of them have earned titles during worldgen.

For kicks, I unforbade one of the giants' large topazolites. Fun ensued.

So now I have to decide to send in an adventurer to clear the giants out or to re-embark and bait them into a line of cage traps. Suggestions?

There are few things more rewarding than caged giants. Unfortunately, "Current Resident"s are immune to traps. Get ready to knock them unconscious. They won't attack supports. Maybe turn cave ins off and build some floor tiles hanging in midair, turning cave ins back on when the giants are among the field of cage traps you so thoughtfully built below the floormines.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: September 16, 2010, 04:14:22 pm »

I have a dwarf who is EXTREMELY partial to hacking off his enemies lower bodies and/or heads. 

He has done this to 37 out of 53 kills since I started counting. He has 68 kills in total, including 2 giants and an ettin which died in the same way.

I gave him the custom profession of "executioner" due to his rage trait (95) and his uncanny ability to bisect everything he meets in a single blow.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »

in the first few hours of me starting a new fort, all has gone well, so, so well! But then I get the oddest message "Urist McFarmer can not gather plants; dangerous terrain".

I had only gone a few Z-levels down so there was no chance for lava, or any other obvious danger. When I went to check on him, he'd drown in a small pond of water, completely devoid of fish.

My only farmer and brewer tripped and falling a pond. He did not get a burial, and his Death pond feeds my Plump Helmets. They grow strong on the blood of the incompetent.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: September 16, 2010, 06:25:26 pm »

The halls of Axestaves are empty, aside from the occasional chipped stone piece falling or the dripping of goblin and troll blood no sound interrupts the silence. Blood trails through the fort, seemingly endless puddles fill the rooms. A single brave adventurer enters the halls, encountering a few bodies and mounds upon mounds of mutilated corpses, some he has never seen in his life. After kicking down a weak door in the back of the fortress he sees a few skeletons, examination reveals they starved to death. A few empty barrels and clean plates occupy a corner. The entire room is engraved with pictures of horror. The pictures describe the death of this fortress. At it's peak, it had a 10 man military and 96 people. It had a booming steel and gold industry and all the traders that came by left with pockets full of valuable, beautifully crafted golden items. It appears the engravings show two goblin sieges had came, the first was caught by the excess cage traps this place once had. The second didn't go down so easily. Each goblin soldier had a mount of his own, the engravings say something about "Jabberers" and "Voracious Cave Crawlers" and "Elk Birds", whatever they are, they weren't nice. The goblins appeared to be quite fond of trolls, also. During the siege most of it was caught, some were slaugtered by steel armed weapon traps, the others got in. Pandemonioum broke out as wave upon wave of hostile forces stormed the fortress, the military, 9 strong had been waiting. They cut down most of the goblins, but with injury. The militia commander was quite fond of his right hand, he had a pick, three shields and an axe in his right hand. He had a sword in his left. He took a blow to the chest and went down, dragged to the barracks as no hospital was set up. Three others died. The siege routed and the fortress was victorious.

Atleast they were then.

Shortly after, dwarves started going insane as many civilians died also. Some went down silently, just skulking, dying. Others went berserk and started killing each other. The endless amounts of miasma from the corpses made even more go insane. Someone had released the caged hostiles also, who had been causing trouble. The military, arms shaking went against them to no avail. Luckily, the seemingly endless dogs had slaughtered the goblin hordes. With the entire fortress in turmoil and a civil war, the last survivors hid in this hastily dug room, as shown by some round edges and bumps in the floor, where they wait as the last food and water drains out, waiting for death. Sadly, the adventurer who had came here had been killed by one of the siege's leaders that survived the chaos. As evidenced by the human corpse with the hole in his skull and the goblin with his lower body missing. Two blood-dried weapons, a sword and a spear sit by the corpses that are clad in armor.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: September 16, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »

The dwarves of The Lucid Tomes have departed from the mountain homes of The Awe-inspiring Nets to found reclaim re-reclaim re-re-reclaim conquer Airarches. It has been decided that a full military squad should be sent to secure the area until the follow-up wave of migrants arrives. Five soldiers and two miners will be dispatched in full regalia. Farmers, engineers, masons, administrators, and carpenters will be recruited from the civilians arriving in the fall. At the moment securing a foothold in military terms and finally finishing the stairwell through the aquifer are of the utmost priority, and scavenging for supplies must wait until such does not compromise those two goals.

The soldiers were upset at being asked to stand down long enough to haul excess weapons to the stockpile, but they're happy now that they're training again.

The miners have stuck stone! Bauxite, hematite, gypsum, and bituminous coal all within easy reach of the central stairwell. Bridge and trap defence building may commence once migrants arrive, smelting if enough survive the trip from the mountain home.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:13:20 pm by LemonFrosted »

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

first immigrant wave happened at The Assaulted Castle and it was started 5 months ago and a big one for my first 13 dwarves and when they came it said Some immigrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, Knowing it may be their tomb.
Weird because i have a nice calm forrest and a untamed wilds mountians bunch of deers running around.  It's probaly the carp
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »

Continuing with the Next Stage in my FOX Head Magma thing-a-majig, I began planning the new twin Magstacks that will run along side the volcano and cease at the bottom of the Magma sea. With the bottom few (the most vital ones) I began exploratory digging down towards them. I fully expected to see some caverns, and I was not disappointed: 3 caverns criss-cross my planned Magma stack, with 2-3 open layers per cavern intersecting it. The map even has a Magma-pit, in addition to the volcano and magma sea.

I rallied my legions of masons (honed over years of building the Foxface monument portion of the FOX Head project) and began rapidly walling off each layer of the cavern from the areas around the future Magstack. I have successfully walled off two of the caverns (6 z-layers worth of rapid masonry) and am well on my way to the third, which stops precisely the z-level above the pre-designated MagStack bottom. Haha, exactly as planned!  8)

On a minor note, the wolf-loving miner has adopted all 3 wolves now, I've decided to train her up as a blacksmith so I can get some high quality statues up around the fortress of at least *some* kind of Canidae.

Also, a single shrub has inexplicably grown in the the smooth muddy pipeline of my Reactor Core. I have no idea...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:06:08 pm by DrGravitas »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: September 16, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »

I'm never going to get migrants. Not with Townbrush constantly being attacked by enemies. First the Goiblins, then the Humans, and now the Darnen. And boy are they pissed. They brought a huge squad along this time. A ton of bowmen riding horses, squads of swordsmen and spearmen, and two war jaguar kill squads. This might not even be their entire fighting force. Since they don't siege, but rather launch a huge ambush, I have to discover their troops as they attack.

Most of them were riding horses, which actually works in my favor since they can't fly when they are on mounts. At least it would have if my Dwarves weren't being fucking morons. Nobody wanted to pull the lever to keep them out. The one dwarf that did was all the way down in the abyss. I tried freeing labors on several dwarves, hoping the idiots would then go pull the levers. Instead they went to eat, drink, or sleep. So the Darnen charged in. First thing they did was decapitate a plump helmet man (it's like they are cursed or something). Fortunately my two soldiers are badasses, and are capable of taking on the entire Darnen swarm without injury. Even though one of them has only one hand. However they couldn't hold them all back, especially since some can fly, so now Darnen are squirming past them and causing panic. So far nobody has died, but I don't expect that trend to last long. We can't have people dying in our already underpopulated fortress. This has the potential to turn into a massive disaster.

And I just know that the goblin are going to launch a siege pretty soon to. The Darnen and Goblins are always working together to make me miserable.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: September 16, 2010, 08:14:36 pm »

i have made a fort where elephants are tamed and trained for war :D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: September 16, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

I have been slowly, ever so slowly been building up my dwarfs bed rooms, and recreation areas. I know what awaits in those deep caverns, and when it attacks I SHAN'T have my men at each others throats. The metal in the upper layers can only last for so long though, and soon I shall have to mobilize the Imperial DwarfGuard.

The underdark shall be purged of the unclean!

My war dogs are my shield, Immigrants are my sword, the ore my life blood.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:56 am »

Don't forget to clad your dwarves in the armor of cotton candy contempt.

COTTON CANDY IS NAUGHT BUT THE SWORD AND SHIELD OF THE DAEMON AND THE HERETIC!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: September 17, 2010, 02:47:01 am »

You have found a curious underground structure!
(never played long enough with these to actually try to conquer them, looks fun)

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: September 17, 2010, 03:05:49 am »

Meng Fathatham dragged another golden ore from the depths up through the mining shaft that his brothers had carved for him.  It was a long walk up twenty flights of stairs when you had a chunk of ore to weigh you down.  In theory, his workplace could have been anywhere, but in practice, carving his smithy out up near the top of the volcano had been safest for the fortress and the world in general.  Later, if they were up to it, the dwarves could use the system they crafted to bring the lava further down.  So long as they were careful.

Of course, the sound of gurgling lava just beyond the dirt walls did not ease the mood of the farmers any.  Meng Uzolalil was especially paranoid about the heated walls.  "The miners have but to carelessly swing their picks, and we shall all be dead."  While he didn't believe they would actually do it, it was hard to keep telling himself everything would be fine when he remembered the small water crisis they had.

"Dig, you ladies, dig!"  Kogask Masosatis was a hard taskmaster, but the other two knew why.  If the fort could not find water for their farms to use, then they would die of starvation and thirst.  Finally, Erith Kapmomuz swung her pick through the floor, and the floor crumbled away.

"Careful there!  You almost fell into the abyss there!"  Tun Stoonish managed to grab on to her fellow miner before she fell into the cave they'd just recently unearthed.  "Kogask!  Come take a look.  Is this what you were looking for?"

Kogask pointed his head into the cavern, taking note of the unnaturally-large spider webs before pulling back.  "Nay.  This be the second cavern.  And we did not find the first...we need to come up with a solution."

Erith pondered a moment.  "Be there not a lake up on top of the volcano?  Why don't we pull the water inside, use it to irrigate our fields?"

Kogask slapped his face.  "I dunno why I dinna think of that before!  Okay, we'll do that, but only after we put walls up.  We need to keep the leopard out, after all."

And so the well-isolated and well-protected fort of Mineiron passed into the Autumn of its first year...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 3842