Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126416 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6045 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:15 pm »

It's fairly random, but they'll never go up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:26 pm »

A new fortress in x.13 and got a magma pipe 3 z levels below the ocean floor,  and it was open to the air.  I figured great it would spam me for a little while then it would cap itself.   Well after turning off pause/recenter on cavein's and letting it run for 2 hours now.  The ocean is mostly drained into the magma sea and my magma pipe is nearly empty of magma.  So there goes my easy access to setting up a glass and weapons factory.
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »

DAMNIT! just realized need to mod all the creatures again to be tameable since the DM is still fairly bugged
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: September 15, 2010, 09:34:56 pm »

Just killed a Bull, Llama and a mule to fuel a fey mood. My Cheese maker ended up making a Cow Bone Hatch Cover...  :P Gonna use it as the main hatch down to my planned Tombs.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »

i just had a mother in a strange mood requiring non existent wood, so i locked her in with the baby, and she went berzerk and attacked it.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

SilentStan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

My fort is now entering its sixth year I think. I have been getting sieges from goblins and, courtesy of some human caravans getting ambushed about 6 times per caravan run they made (and my complete lack of military) humans sieges too. At one stage I was sieged by 2 goblin civs and a human civ at once. Not to mention, my caverns are full of at least 6 or 7 FBs, one of which is composed entirely of flame.

And I dont have a military.

I do, however, have ~100 dorfs. And I am terrible at finding tasks for the majority of people to do... So the number of idlers bounces between 60 and 0, depending on when I am mass dumping stone and such. All my dorfs are becoming legendary conversationalists/liars/etc. This cant be a good thing. Plus, Im pretty sure almost everyone is friends with everyone else, and most dorfs are married. If I ever lose a dorf its going to be a one-shot tantrum spiral :(

Also, something hilarious happened last night when I was playing: The humans, whom have seiged for about a year now, are all mounted on camels or horses. Theyve been there so long, that their mounts have started giving birth. While these havnt been coming out tame, it has been causing the squads to freak the fuck out and slaughter them. So the map is slowly becoming covered in camel calf corpses, and the humans are slowly using all their arrows.

Im considering this a good thing.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »

i just had a mother in a strange mood requiring non existent wood, so i locked her in with the baby, and she went berzerk and attacked it.
Hilarious.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:51 pm »

It's the beginning of a brand new year. The goblins have retreated, but I know they will be back soon. Construction of my siege breaker is slow, but that's because I simply don't have enough Dwarves available to work on it. I'm hoping the next migrant wave arrives before the goblins siege again, but knowing my luck they'll be back before spring is even over.

On the plus side Townbrush has been surprisingly free of deaths. Usually we always lose a handful of Dwarves each year to a variety of reasons. The military is doing surprisingly well for a bunch of novices. I'm sure they will continue to impress me until they die due to their own stupidity, just like all the others. I've also been getting a lot of fey moods. Most of the artifact have been shit though, aside from a pair of adamantine greaves.

EDIT: Oh hey, migrants did come. During the siege. I just noticed their corpses lying outside.

EDIT 2:

WHY

EDIT 3: I have no idea what the hell is going on. Somehow snatchers have suddenly begun to easily capture children. They made off with one child and a baby plump helmet man, which my mechanic isn't to happy about.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:42:15 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: September 15, 2010, 10:16:37 pm »

yeah, the entire workshop is painted with blood
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:34 pm »

Pinebasements has fallen. The miners dug too deep, and too greedily.

Or it was entirely intentional because no siege is going to survive a hallway of fully loaded adamantine serrated blade traps backed up by a magma vent and a barracks of legendary warriors.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: September 16, 2010, 03:07:46 am »

My two legendary miners were digging down to a pillar of adamantine, and, being a fool, I dismissed the warning of damp stone. The result was the entire hall being flooded by an underground river. One of them was missing after that, so I shrugged it off and abandoned my project in favour of some lesser materials. A month later, I see "You have struck native gold!" which I thought was strange, seeing as I hadn't designated any mining areas. I jump to the announcement, and see my legendary miner wandering the caverns beneath my flooded hall. Somehow he fell into the underground sea and was washed ashore in a cavern far from the hall.

I think I'm going to let him wander for a while.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: September 16, 2010, 04:41:35 am »

I have a new fortress, I was getting frustrated searching for a decent embark and started off without checking any names or anything so I have renamed it myself, Operation Decadence.

I have embarked on a volcanoe, that is 105 z levels high and snowcapped, while to the east I have a camel filled desert and the rest of the area stays pleasantly temperate. There are 2 other peaks on this map that join the volcanoe, creating a Helms Deep like open box at their feet. This is where my fort shall be constructed.

I checked prospector when I started, and I have been pleased. I have 50,000 units of Gold and Cassiterite, these veins are all surface ones and easy to access, as well as 25,000 native copper, not including other forms of the ore. So far the plan is to get a vaguely decent fort working, build up into the mountain, and see how high a gold wall I can build. I hope for extra points for having lava spewing murderholes over the gate and a labyrinth under the main gate to drop invaders in if I get bored of the lava.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: September 16, 2010, 04:55:57 am »

Just discovered a funny bug in 30.12 (probably lots of people know of it but it's news to me) - if you deconstruct your depot while traders have all their crap unloaded there, then it, ah ... becomes up for grabs.  Oops.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:27 am »

I started about 5 new worlds, did about 5 embarks, switched to an older version, simply to get the location finder to find all i needed without going to some place with no trees. What I finally found is a great fortress. Tons of minerals (even struck gold). Lets see if I can make this a good first non-tutorial fortress.

Oh, it also has a great name "Blockade Fortress"

Edit: What the crap? I go from 7 to 28 in 1 immigration wave

Edit2: First Possesion in this fort, what will he make?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:49:20 am by wisemanofhyrule »

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: September 16, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

The dwarves of The Barricade of Nuts have departed from the mountain homes of The Awe-inspiring Nets to found Airarches in the most suitable Terrifying hills I could find. On arrival tehy discovered not only skeletal elephants, but zombie elephants as well. They are presently establishing farms and preparing the aquifer hammer.

Miner #1 has fallen into a lake after being rammed by a skeletal elephant.
Miner #2 had an accident while dropping the aquifer hammer and wound up in the aquifer.

Both took their copper picks to their inaccessible watery graves.

Edit: the elephants destroyed the front doors and are now inside. Population rapidly dropping.

Edit: crumbled.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:34:56 am by LemonFrosted »
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 3842