Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122412 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2009, 06:01:17 am »

Booted up my old 200+ dwarf fort of awesome, and realized that I didn't know how lucky I was way back then.  The fortress is set on a small mountain next to some plains, so soil and wood are pretty easy to get.  Then the northern mountainous area is sedimentary while the southern is igneous (plus I have a magma pipe), so I have access to nearly every metal I need.  My military, fortress guards, and even royal guards are decked out in full steel, although I can't get them to drop their silver training weapons that easily ._.  So, I decided to begin a plan that will either rock or fail miserably.  I am building a gigantic floor 1z level above the brook in the nearby canyon, then I plan to pour magma on top of it, creating a magma river that will force anyone who appears on the other side of the canyon to use my heavily trapped bridge :)  An ambush happened while they were building, but nobody got hurt.  I had the common sense to order three seperate squads to patrol the area, and two champs (crossbow and hammer) happened to be nearby.

Then in a newer fort, I've been trying to get another area like my older fort above, but it seems this one won't work out that way.  I haven't found a lick of iron or coke making stones, just copper and (thankfully) cassiterite to make bronze with.  There's sand and magma at least.  I'm also building an underground structure that will make siegs more... interesting :)  It's going to be a multiple z-level underground tower that's riddled with channels to create a maze of sorts.  My dwarves will stand on a viewing deck of sorts that wraps around the tower at each z-level.  They will be protected by a 3 cell wide channel and a fortification and will be able to shoot at invaders as the invaders attempt to carefully step around all the holes in the ground in a desperate attempt to reach the bottom level of my fortress.  The pathway will be left open (although I should do something for ambushes) and with an open path into my fort so invaders will be able to path down the tower.  However, there will be a drawbridge on the last level that I can retract should the invaders get too far.  That should give plenty of time to kill them all off.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 19, 2009, 06:44:38 am »

Crowbar: Gabbro has no hematite. It's igneous intrusive. Igneous extrusive and sedimentary layers are the ones which have hematite.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 19, 2009, 05:06:08 pm »

Nobangmuthir (Dismalcolumn)
This is a Silver short sword. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native silver. This object menaces with spikes of Silver. On the item is an image of Dismalcolumn the Silver short sword in Silver.

Wait, there's an image of the sword on the sword itself?  Does that mean that the image of the sword has an image of the sword, and that image's image has an image of the sword, and that image's image's image's has an...
It's not that unusual. From what I remember, Planepacked had at least three images of itself on it.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #603 on: December 19, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »

I have a fort that keeps getting ambushed. After it blows over, I have all my dorfs go out and gather the goblins' stuff. They have a LOT of GCS silk items. That along with all their iron stuff has made my dorfs VERY wealthy.

One recent event had a caravan show up, and immigrant wave, and THREE ambushes almost simultaneously. I lost 20 dorfs, had several tantrums, and 20 more wounded died of thrist (I stupidly embarked in an area with a brook but not close enough to it and it's a dry climate).

I have five artifacts, two of which (flood gate and a floor grate) keep showing up on items from other cultures, *including* the goblins.  One of them is a recursive.

Then I had an elf carvan show up, Goblin's ambushed, killed their trader, the rest took off, I dealt with the goblins. Chickenshits.

I currently have about six goblins in cages waiting for me to build an arena to dump them into.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 19, 2009, 08:44:27 pm »

I struck adamantite! Praise the miner!

I'm planning a nice set of plate mail, greaves, helm, and whatever boots/gauntlets aren't covered by artifacts, to equip any adventurer mean enough to make it in.
I'm also training up the primary weaponsmith and armoursmith by making copper shields and axes non-stop, so that when I release the clowns, I can just recruit people to fight any that get past the champions.
Having read up on the fire clowns, I'm planning to make copper crossbows as well, so that I can get some range going.
Then maybe get the marksdwarves to wield the damn things too.
I'm also planning on churning out more bolts, and more suits of copper armour.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 19, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »

Welp, the first two ogres that I caught were male. but one of the second wave was female giving me a total of 3 male war ogres and 1 female war ogre, also now have a war werewolf and a harpy that I've yet to tame. With a little luck I'll have a breeding pair of those too.  Nothing of intrest has happened other than a fay armorer produced a pair of black bronze greaves and a named giant flame spider keeps me from entering the western half of my map... Cant wait for the magma under my forges to finish filling so I can begin work on masterful iron armor (no flux :( ).
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 19, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »

I've discovered that announcements can come a few hundred turns or so after the event. Just had a giant snatcher (Relentless Assault) bumble into one of my hammerdwarves. By the time the game paused and zoomed in, my hammerdwarf had already smashed in his entire right side (a nifty trick, considering giants are about 3 1/2 times the dwarf's size). RA is turning out to be a disappointment, the most "dangerous" race that's sieged so far in my 5 year fortress is lizardmen, who are squishy. The ambushes and snatchers are larger, elves and even ogres and giants send small squads, but it's just not dangerous... at all.

Waiting on a black diamond I accidentally dumped into the magma to stop smoking so I can get back to magma dumping. Currently, it's pumping out smoke like crazy, which sucks. I had to wall it off so I didn't get the constant miasma-esque blanket of noxious gas. Luckily all my dwarves are ecstatic from the legendary dining room, zoo, and meeting zone.

Even with Dig Deeper's increased food growth times and only one farmer I overproduced food. I've turned off about half my farm plots, and the few remaining are mostly growing rope reed, woad, pig tails, and dimple cups. Now that my clothier is approaching legendary in weaving, dying, and tailoring, he's producing a ton of wealth. Between him, my legendary gem setter (mood), my legendary leatherworker (earned), and my legendary bone crafters (one mood and one earned), I've bought out entire caravans with a single, heavily decorated, ogre loincloth.

Debating whether to do a megaproject or just move on to a more exciting fortress. RA is lackluster lately, not even enough ambushes to make it interesting.

Edit: After waiting a season and a half for the diamond to burn up, I got bored and ordered a dwarf to dump a bucket of water on it from two stories up. Now just have to re-channel the hole and we should be good. Not sure if that will un-carbonite the diamond or not, if it does I'll move my garbage dump over one tile.

Edit 2: Just realized, when I ordered the wall keeping the smoke out deconstructed, one of my mother dwarves and three of her children ran over to do the job. Gotta love family projects. She has five sons total, three children and two babies. I think she and her husband brought one child and have had four more.

Edit 3: Channeling it out released the diamond. Guess I'll re-cast it and move my incinerator over a few places.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:47:54 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #607 on: December 20, 2009, 07:38:35 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 21, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »

Anyways, not much was happening and it was turning out to be a boring winter (even Dwarves aren't immune from winter boredom I guess), then a siege came (cool), which led me to capture a few goblins to try and get my silk farm working, but then in late winter when I found I couldn't pit the GCS, I checked and saw it had been hit by the hostile tamed resident critter bug, GAH!

Had to put it down by way of giving it gills, *sigh* so much for the silk farm.....

Anyways, my fort is entering the period where the current generation are coming of age and I'm cleaning out the fobbo silk crap stockpile. Once that is done, I'll start churning out a few thousand more marble blocks.

Also, the elves had better bring some animals soon, or otherwise they'll get drowned for a third time.....

All of my champions have over 20 in at least one stat, one of them has 31 in agility and a few others are getting close to 30 in one of the stats. They are so powerful that they don't even get sparring injuries, with silver hammers anyway. I'm thinking of giving them great bedrooms of thier own.

My DM continues to complain about lack of tomb and various other stuff, yet he hasn't gone insane yet. Probably the variety of food and drink plus the legendary dining hall.

Ah, the elves have arrived, with a tiger and a giant leopard, maybe they are getting the idea....

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #609 on: December 21, 2009, 04:47:59 pm »

Today the fully automatic magma-powered refuse incinerator had its first successful test.  A brave woodcrafter carried the trial rabbit chunk onto the refuse pile, passing over pressure plates on the ways in and out that locked the entrance, dumped magma on the refuse pile, then pumped it away before unlocking the system and resetting all the mechanisms.  Results were underwhelming, as rather than being vaporized instantly the rabbit chunks were set on fire and took a surprisingly long time to burn away.  Experiments will be undertaken with longer periods of immersion in magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »

Today the fully automatic magma-powered refuse incinerator had its first successful test.  A brave woodcrafter carried the trial rabbit chunk onto the refuse pile, passing over pressure plates on the ways in and out that locked the entrance, dumped magma on the refuse pile, then pumped it away before unlocking the system and resetting all the mechanisms.  Results were underwhelming, as rather than being vaporized instantly the rabbit chunks were set on fire and took a surprisingly long time to burn away.  Experiments will be undertaken with longer periods of immersion in magma.

Try some Cave Lobster, I had those catch on fire (not due to magma though) and they burned for a very long time as well.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 21, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »

A couple of harpies came to my fort and injured a carpenter. Luckily, a squad was able to get there in time to kill both of them. He's sitting in his room with an injured right lower arm and right leg. Not too bad, but there is only murky pools on my map, so hopefully, he'll heal before he dehydrates.

EDIT: Suddenly, I see the message "Dwarf cancels etc.: Interrupted by Beak Dog".
I immediately head to the area, because my first death was caused by a beak dog. What I was not expecting was seeing 2 beak dogs unconscious with one dead nearby...
While I wasn't looking, my ranger had been shooting them. I was happy to know that he only has a yellow hand injury. :)
There are still 4 alive, though.......
EDIT2: Holy crap. Another carpenter was about to be injured, so I recruited him and he sent that beak dog FLYAN.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:08:43 pm by Jack_Bread »

Jordo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 21, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »

For this fort, I've decided to go in an entirely different direction: instead of making an underground fort, I'm making a cluster of aboveground buildings out of obsidian blocks. Of course, this means my dwarves have had to live 2 years so far without beds. I'm nearly done laying the foundation of my apartment complex, where each dwarf gets a 5x5 bedroom.

Secondly, I've been capturing and taming the local wildlife. Mostly hippos so far, but also a gazelle. Also, my dwarves have been dieing mysterious deaths, 9 so far, mostly to fish in the river i suppose. could also be the hippos, at least 3 are named.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:23 pm »

I have come across a massive mountain range.  A volcano tile 1 tile from the ocean, with a brook leading off from it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is 76 (SEVENTY SIX) z levels, from the highest peak to the brook in the valley at near sea level.  It includes a chasm, magma pipe sand and a funhouse.  My starting wagon spawned on the side of a cliff and I have goods scattered all over one side of the mountain.

The downside?  After a rigorous search using stonesense debug mode I have found no useful metals.  None.  The most valuable vein I found is gold (there is alot of it) and the most effective combat metal I found (besides funhouse insulation)is a single vein of copper, on the other side of the map from where I am planning on putting my fort.

It's also a heavily modded game so it probably would have a hard time generating this way for anyone else.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:18 pm »

Nobangmuthir (Dismalcolumn)
This is a Silver short sword. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native silver. This object menaces with spikes of Silver. On the item is an image of Dismalcolumn the Silver short sword in Silver.

Wait, there's an image of the sword on the sword itself?  Does that mean that the image of the sword has an image of the sword, and that image's image has an image of the sword, and that image's image's image's has an...
It's not that unusual. From what I remember, Planepacked had at least three images of itself on it.

Actually, it has 73 pictures of itself on it. Planepacked is a true fractal. The universe bends where it stands.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 3842