Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127454 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5850 on: September 11, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »

So I just accidentally flooded part of the world with magma do to bad planning.
It is flowing really slow though
Bad planning? How is flooding the world with magma bad?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: September 11, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »

It denies you the pleasure of PERSONALLY killing elves. They just die and you might not even notice! imagine that! absolutely horrid.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: September 11, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »

So I just accidentally flooded part of the world with magma do to bad planning.
It is flowing really slow though
Bad planning? How is flooding the world with magma bad?
Because I started the flood  in the summer of the first year, before I really had anything set up except for farms.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: September 11, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »

I found what I thought was going to be a wonderful site; a 2x2 square of swampland surrounded by a terrifying lake on 3 sides, with a river to the north, which I thought was straight and would cut it off form the mainland entirely until I made a bridge to cross it. Unfortunately the river only flows horizontally for about 2/3s of the map, then goes straight north. I also assumed that because only the lake was evil, and the river was in a good biome, that the river wouldn't be filled with !!zombie carp!!. Foiled again. I should have immdeiately made a backup of the clean world so I wouldn't feel dumb for abandoning this site to view those other 3 peninsulas cut off by river flows.

Half way across this world was another very interesting area; a volcanic mountain range on an island, directly adjacent to the ocean, with several areas of very steep cliffs. I may very well embark there instead, to get an Oceanside fortress area.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: September 11, 2010, 11:29:28 pm »

And yet another fort falls to Windows crashing. *siiiiigh*

Found a decent embark; lots of sand and stuff in a cold region. Dug out an "overground" farm before I looked 1 zlevel down and saw that there actually was water; it had just been frozen and hidden under the snow.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the first migrant wave came with a High Master weaponsmith and stonecrafter. I WILL FIGHT FOR MY *microcline mug* WITH MY *steel battle axe*!
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: September 11, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

Following a pathfinding debacle, the Tool of Work has now moved on to its third fort.  This one is similar to Rhythmarrows but is much richer in materials.  We hope to avoid the disasters that befell its predecessor, although a rogue Magma Man destroying 1/3 of the population (i.e. three dwarves) is not a good sign.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16:00 am »

After half the Flamerelic military force gets killed in battle, a grieving marksdwarf runs to the dining hall to throw a tantrum. Her friend, the Captain of the Guard, tries to talk to her, but gets a broken arm for her trouble. The marksdwarf gets slated for a beating, but breaks the leg and upper body of the guard assigned to the task. She is immediately sentenced to 26 days in prison for injuring the guard - but she jumps the next guard halfway to the jail and kills him. Her sentence is extended to 226 days.

...With 205 days left, she throws another tantrum, breaks the chain she was tied to, and wanders off to eat. She's been assigned another beating for the building destruction.

Good luck to the guard on his way to deliver the punishment.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:21 am »

Embarked on 'Terrifying' lands, in a disputed zone between my kingdom and the neighboring goblins. I hardly had time to get everyone underground before the first attack of the living dead...groundhogs? I thought my alarm was premature, but the dwarves spazzed out all over the place. The cats had a field day, though -- only two casualties, good hunting experience for the survivors, and many groundhogs 'collapsed'. Meanwhile the war dogs just hung around the meeting area -- at least they're honing their social skills, I hope.

The year isn't over, but I'm already out of booze, and having much trouble getting brewable crop out of the clay topsoil. This doesn't stop the swarms of immigrants though -- could that be because I'm pulling so much wealth out of the ground? I haven't even gotten the gems all cut yet, and half of it is still {forbidden} because I set it to Dump for quicker hauling. No shortage of coal in these lands, either -- I'm concerned that setting furnaces or certain workshops down on these floors could ignite a chain reaction across the upper floors.

I really need some solid interior and exterior fortification before the first goblin welcoming party, but the boozelessness seems especially critical.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:52 am »

I have nothing better to do with my silver, gold, lead, and copper, since I have a plentiful supply of steel, so.... BINS AND BARRELS EVERYWHERE!

Filled to the brim with *microcline mug*s, of course.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: September 12, 2010, 04:55:08 am »

Second fortress on the side of a volcano - if the 7 founders start with their goods scattered over three z levels on the volcano flanks, you don't apparently get a wagon. Or it's scattered as splinters 90 levels below on the plains.

Burrowed in at ground level, and am expanding up.  Small amounts of minerals everywhere but turns out I have more gold bars now than all other metals together, so am churning out a hundred or so gold bins...

Too busy sorting out magma forges to worry about food at first, other than slaughtering the stray mule that turned up out of nowhere and planting two plots of wild strawberries outside.  Was going well on not flooding too may levels with magma, while migrants trickled in, and got a little ambitious with brewing, and found the fort with 200 drinks and no food.  Watched pathetically while the first harvest of two wild strawberries come in, and imagined the dwarves not worrying with their 1/6 of a strawberry as long as there was booze available.

Flooded two levels with magma in the end, and have one flow controlled with a floodgate - will test out my caged goblin removal plan when I get some - only groundhogs and monkeys so far.

Also have a legendary gem setter, and am getting mugs that can buy out whole caravans twice over.  What do I do with a bronze puzzlebox?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: September 12, 2010, 05:37:08 am »

I was nervous about the zombie wolves in the distance, but apparently 'Terrifying' lands are their own hazard -- as soon as the first trader entered, he went melancholy and his camel went berserk. He had to put the beast down in defense, then left haul behind -- jackpot! This may not be good for immigration, but I'm already getting dwarves faster than I can get acquainted with them, and this is before we struck gold and silver.

If I can get this wall circling our mound before the wolves close in, they'll make good target practice. Ah, but that bastard trader didn't bring seeds!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: September 12, 2010, 05:42:35 am »

Wait. A dwarf beat a camel in hand-to-hand?! How?!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: September 12, 2010, 06:21:53 am »

I have nothing better to do with my silver, gold, lead, and copper, since I have a plentiful supply of steel, so.... BINS AND BARRELS EVERYWHERE!

Lead bins are gross.

Make lead toys and trade them to the elves.

Or pitchblende.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: September 12, 2010, 06:45:38 am »

Wait. A dwarf beat a camel in hand-to-hand?! How?!
This one was a Speardwarf. But crazier things have happened.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: September 12, 2010, 06:49:25 am »

Lead bins are gross.

Make lead toys and trade them to the elves.

Or pitchblende.
Yeah, it's a shame that material-related syndromes are not *yet* implemented... 
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 3842