Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122389 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #585 on: December 18, 2009, 05:20:50 am »

I have attempted to make three additional forts in terrifying biomes, only to be placed, every time, next to a whole bunch of skeletal creatures that proceed to eat my dwarfs before I can do anything. It was funny the first time, but now it's just frustrating.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 18, 2009, 05:25:15 am »

A particularly large goblin siege happened at my fort (in the middle of my mega-project no less) and the ensuing tantrum spiral has sent my fortress population dwindling from almost 200 to less than 50.

At this point, the only silver lining to this cloud is that somewhere along the way, my mayor died.  So long, useless noble.

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 18, 2009, 05:30:36 am »

I was fiddling with the environmental settings and didn't realized I mistyped a number in the 'temperature' settings.

I proceeded to send my Dwarves to a site where the rum instantly caught fire and exploded.  Followed by the Dwarves.

In my longer-running fort, currently I'm digging out a massively oversized dining hall.  The kitches are contained inside the support pillars.  All that dig designation is generating lots of lag, though  :-\

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 18, 2009, 06:37:44 am »

I was fiddling with the environmental settings and didn't realized I mistyped a number in the 'temperature' settings.

I proceeded to send my Dwarves to a site where the rum instantly caught fire and exploded.  Followed by the Dwarves.

Gentlemen, this is a first: a fortress set up on the surface of the sun.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 18, 2009, 06:44:23 am »

I finally fount a good site for my hermit megaproject - the previous one died a death of FPS. This one is 5x1 and has 79 Z's, mogma pipe, sand and HFS.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 18, 2009, 10:23:33 am »

I seem to have had a donkeysplosion while I was busy supervising the mines and tower. The dwarves were probably getting sick of plump helmets anyway.

Also had a failed mood because nobody would eat the damn turtles, so now there's a sad dwarf moping around somewhere.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:45 pm »

Dwarven traders arrived carrying 2 steel shields, one very, very, very more expensive than the other. So i had a look. The expensive one had a picture in platinum on it. A picture of an artifact my dorfs made. "Your efforts are legend there" just got a whole new meaning to me. I still didn't buy it, though.

Also, every autumn i catch three snatchers. In the same three cage traps. Silly gobbos!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:52:55 pm by Halceon »
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 18, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »

Holy SHIT. An elven caravan got ambushed by a pack of goblins just as they were arriving to the vicinity of my depot. One of the goblins, a pikeman, then proceeded to attack one of the elvish traders, hurling him to the wall with this pike and killing him instantly. They managed to kill one other trader and a few pack animals before my ever valiant captain of the guard arrived on the spot and shot one of them dead. One of their posse dead, they decided to leg it, which was a bit anticlimatic...

However, as the goblins ran, I decided to examine the aftermath of the battle. Apparently the elf had struck the wall so hard that he had been rendered to a mess. Not a big deal, happens all the time, but I then proceeded to check on the progress of the towers I have been building to guard the entrance of my fort. On the top of the tower, i found the elf's leg. It had flown 5 z-levels upwards after the poor bastard hit the wall and landed on the tower's roof.

Spoiler: Pictures (click to show/hide)

Shame that I didn't manage to get a glimpse at the pikegoblin's name. Or even better, captured him so I could have one day pitted him against one of my champions.

Doesn't matter though, as I got my fair share of epic soon afterwards. A short while after the flying leg incident, a lone fisherdwarf was attacked by another band of goblin ambushers. Yet another group of ambushers joined them almost immediately, and they started killing everyone unlucky enough to get caught outside. I issued "all dwarves stay inside" from the orders menu and stationed all available squads to the hallway near the entrance. The goblins had a menacing amount of archers with them, so i stayed inside and hoped that the traps would kill at least some of them. Not so: before the ambushers reached the entrance, I started getting a shitload of snatcher messages, about 4-5 overall, as some baby snatchers walked into my cage traps, clogging them all. Some evil goblin plot, surely! Moreover, the goblins shot some dumbass mechanic who was rigging the front gates to a lever and his corpse blocked the door from closing, resulting in a massive volley of bolts and arrows flying both ways. The dwarves lost two and the goblins four, until a foolish goblin walked too close to the mountainhome caravan that was visiting my fort and the whole lot got chased away from the map by angry caravan guards.

Now i have a bunch of captured goblins, and right on time too, since i'm building an arena (or actually it's finished save for some levers controlling wall grates). I'm hoping to catch a sasquatch or something so i have my own rabid beast to feed the goblins to. I also built some water tunnels connecting some large murky pools (my map doesn't have a river or anything) to an underground reservoir, but it's pretty useless as the pools dry out during summer, it almost never rains here and when rains come, they only fill the pools to 2/7 or so... But i'm hoping that some day i'll get a thunderstorm of biblical proportions.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:00:47 pm by Azgog »
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 18, 2009, 06:04:11 pm »

I've had stuff like that happen before-but my goblin leg only went up two Z-levels.

In Thobtishak, I'm making a massive dining complex; the central room is Legendary, and engraved by a force I made for just such a purpose. I'm thinking that next, I'll make a new Crafting District and turn the current one into just an entrance area.

Going back to old fortresses and fixing all your noob mistakes is a lot of fun. Thankfully, it hasn't been Fun yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 18, 2009, 06:43:15 pm »

ALLRIGHT!!! The caravan finally came after bieng scared off by sieges the past three years, time to load up the depot!

In other news, the base for the tower is going well but is at a standpoint as I need to make more blocks, otherwise its been progressing at a steady pace.

Also, a kobold ran into a mountain goat, revealing it, heh.

Now where is the liason at? I'm not going to lose him to a dang ambush... heh, he popped up at the northern edge, why doesn't he appear with the caravan, lol. Would be easier.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #595 on: December 18, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »

... aside from experience in Masonry...

Unfortunately, Masonry construction (building Walls, Towers, paving the sky, etc) gives no experience to the Masonry skill... or to any other skill that I can detect.

I was referring to making them into blocks. I should have specified that. I'm also firing some into the walls to increase Siege Operating skills. *Loads Blue Emu into the catapult*
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 19, 2009, 12:20:12 am »

New fort. on a savage biome, get frequent visits from ogres and harpies :D  After a little modding..and with a little luck I'll have trained and bred a few war ogres! Now I just need to trap some harpies. Finaly got some migrants! Finaly I can ease up on the load for my starting 7
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 19, 2009, 01:17:54 am »

I embarked on a featureless 5x5 desert biome with a steep mountain. The plan here is that I'll carve a small home for my dorfs until I can strip mine the mountain and build a quarry, eventually constructing the fort of Stonespire in it's eternal glory. I've almost mined enough granite to complete the first layer of the outermost defensive wall. Resources permitting, I may encase the tower-fort's outer wall with pure silver.

Also, one of my dorfs had a mood, and created this pretty nifty sword from silver I had laying around.

Nobangmuthir (Dismalcolumn)
This is a Silver short sword. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native silver. This object menaces with spikes of Silver. On the item is an image of Dismalcolumn the Silver short sword in Silver.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 19, 2009, 01:43:31 am »

For the love of Christ, I've dug through like, ten layers of gabbro and not so much as a sliver of hematite to show for it!  All I've got are some poxy native platinum nuggets (sounds good, but I found like, three)!  Why, game?  Why must you taunt me so?

I think the cruelest irony here was giving me a whole tonne of bauxite on a map without any magma facilities.

This is a Silver short sword. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native silver. This object menaces with spikes of Silver. On the item is an image of Dismalcolumn the Silver short sword in Silver.

Wait, there's an image of the sword on the sword itself?  Does that mean that the image of the sword has an image of the sword, and that image's image has an image of the sword, and that image's image's image's has an...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:22:46 am by Crowbar »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 19, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

Wait, there's an image of the sword on the sword itself?  Does that mean that the image of the sword has an image of the sword, and that image's image has an image of the sword, and that image's image's image's has an...

This happens quite a lot. Even stranger is when a Moody Dwarf names the Artifact after himself:

Note the name of the Artifact: "Dodok Sazirlokum has created Dodok Sazirlokum"
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 3842