Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127584 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5820 on: September 11, 2010, 01:37:43 pm »

The interactions of good and evil...

One can dream, can't one?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: September 11, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

One of my longest serving dwarves has been crippled, losing the ability to stand.  After taking out most of a goblin bowman group with his steel sword Azinsanreb the last goblin cowardly shot him from behind, severing his motor nerve in his left foot.  Copper arrow 1-0 adamantine high boot.

Shame he can't just use a crutch for his foot, would leave his right arm free to swing the sword.  I even have an artifact crutch for him!  It menaces with spikes of green tourmaline but I'm sure it will help.

On an unrelated note I now have seven named weapons.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: September 11, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »

The interactions of good and evil...

One can dream, can't one?

I wonder if I can get Zombie Unicorns!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: September 11, 2010, 04:13:07 pm »

The end of Laboredanus was eventual. The Countess had just had a miscarriage, a tragic instance for dwarves and women alike. She grew estranged from her Consort, and took to roaming the forgotten halls of the lower sub-levels, bewailing her misfortune. Still, orders had to be made, and she demanded the production of black bronze scepters, for reasons scrutable to herself alone.

Meanwhile, upstairs, dozens of dwarves were starving to death due to the troublesome goblin that had taken up residence in the moat. Several options were tried to solve it, such as building a separate bridge, sending in troops, flooding the moat further. None of them worked. Smush the Boogiegoblin simply would not leave. In the space of a few moments, all the terrified dwarves began frenzying, a vast, violent mob of seething rage, until they all began to collapse of thirst and food deprivation. Within a short period of time, 42 dwarves were dead, and their corpses littered the field in front of the fortress.

Those 42 dwarves all had friends and relatives inside the fortress, and a gigantic riot started. Shops were destroyed, sculptures were smashed to the ground, furniture was thrown around, and the Hammerer and the Fortress/Royal Guards didn't have enough cages to house all the offenders. With his mighty hammer, the Hammerer began smashing in skulls at a frightening rate, a sickening spray of red commas and semicolons littered the ASCII hallways.

Acting quickly, I, the Benevolent Diety of Laboredanus, sealed the royal chambers to prevent damage to their beautiful interiors. Unfortunately, the Count Consort, the Tax Collector, the Mayor and the Philosopher were still in them, as well as a few lower-caste hangers-on. They were safe from the peasants, but now they were doomed to their own slow, desperate deaths.

Meanwhile, the Countess returned from her mope around the catacombs, to find her chambers sealed for perpetuity. She went mad. She climbed to the top of the execution tower, declared that a party was going to be held, and promptly threw herself off.

The dwarves abandoned Laboredanus that winter, what few stragglers survived. The royal court could still be heard banging against the locked floodgates of their pleasure palace, but nobody was there to release the lever, which was three stories up.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: September 11, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »

Today, in a special edition of WGOIYF, we're going to play a special round of, What's going to happen in your fort, VERY SOON.

Last time in my fort, I accidentally muddied some walk ways in the process of freeing a dwarf you fell into my cistern.

Currently, the larger, yet-to-be-used cistern is being lightly coated in water.

And soon? Soon I shall dig out three crucial pressure stoppers, and flood my fort.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: September 11, 2010, 04:53:19 pm »

Dwarvern medical science sure is amazing. They bought a random hauler that got caught in the crossfire from a goblin seige back from the brink of death (Like 80% of his body was red. Dude sure was durable). They spent 3 years and over 20 sessions of surgery, suturing, stitching and god knows what else "repairing" him, and now I would assume he's little more than reconstituted dwarf paste wrapped in cloth.

My surgical team is trying to turn dwarves into zombies, apparently. I see no other reason that they would try to operate on them in that kind of mangled state.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: September 11, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: September 11, 2010, 05:30:43 pm »

Y'know, I had the exact same thought.

Just imagine a group of dwarves standing around a bloodstained traction bench, all carrying large butcher knives and comically oversized needles while saying it.

KaunMoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screw you guys I'm building this.
« Reply #5828 on: September 11, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

I just fended off the biggest siege yet (120 invades, about 80 gobbos and another 20 crocodiles, 20 olms and some cave swallows) without any losses, three dwarfs injured and sent to hospital, one is having bad thoughts because she isn't on duty at the moment due to having a broken leg, one is just lying there while the doctors are going on about randon things, wondering why there's blood in the well.

But the third one, with two legs completly smashed and his right arm, nervus system damaged, unable to stand, still to be attended by the doctors fell into a fey mood and is now crawling through by fortress what I assume is by dragging himself by his one functioning arm down to my factory level to claim his workshop and build something. And leaving a trail of blood as he does it.

I don't care what he end up producing, if he manage to do it, he's getting a nice en suite with his artifact on display.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: September 11, 2010, 05:42:58 pm »

Would be even more epic if he died after it was finished. And it was a weapon.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "The product of blood, sweat and tears"

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »

I have a quick turn around of my forts due to boredom. This one is looking good though.

Just finished building the base layer of the inner wall.. it divides my 7x7 embark into two. Only way in and out is through a Flipper Gate.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5189/screenshot4pv.png

Warning HUGE image. Not advised for 56k'ers. (if anyone still uses it ofc)
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: September 11, 2010, 06:01:32 pm »

I have a quick turn around of my forts due to boredom. This one is looking good though.

Just finished building the base layer of the inner wall.. it divides my 7x7 embark into two. Only way in and out is through a Flipper Gate.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5189/screenshot4pv.png

Warning HUGE image. Not advised for 56k'ers. (if anyone still uses it ofc)

How do you get the image this way? I've never been able to get Stone sense to do so. I read it was Ctrl+f5 with draw set to software, but that does not produce anything but a regular image for me...

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: September 11, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »

I just Ctrl F5 it and it dumps the full map.I do have my DF on the desktop.. perhaps its a permissions thing?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

KaunMoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: September 11, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »

He claimed a craftshop and dragged in order:
2 candlenut logs
2 gold bars
a limestone block
another gold bar
and then dragged himself up three z levels, outside to get the body of one of the giant cave swallows

He created.. a candlenut toy hammer....

Nonshutkacoth Bakust Okon; Bewitchedconfined the Urge of Burdens.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: September 11, 2010, 06:40:15 pm »

Ah-hah! The problem occurred to me as I was trying to turn off follow mode and having it flip back on. Software mode is slow. So slow that it wasn't registering my ctrl keystroke in time to match it up with f5. It worked after I held the key for about a full second before jamming the F5 key and holding ctrl for a second longer.  :P

Long as I'm typing, I might as well update on my Fort.

1. No new Foxen

2. FOX Head is looking increasingly ugly due to poor (nearly non-existent) planning.

3. Lousy Dofts adopted 2 more kittens a split second after they were born. They were even already tagged for slaughter!

4. Seriously, the fox impotency baffles me. I think they're bugged. I tried butchering a couple more of them and they didn't even produce skins (only skulls.) Is that even possible? Adult Foxes not giving up skins from butchering? I don't think I've ever heard of the butcher's skill level impacting whether a skin would be produced or not, but it was done by a non-rusty skilled butcher!  ???

5. Decided to build a large water-wheel reactor core because I'm thinking of building a new stack for the Magstack pumpstack-system. I'm wondering how quickly the magma in a volcano replenishes and I doubt it's enough to keep the flow consistent. I wanna build a new set of stacks that'll allow me to push the whole lava-tube up and out of the FOX Head! I may build the new stack along the side of the volcano (with special channels such that the entire tube is entering the stack and channeled a bit into the existing stack. Or, I may build the exact same design, but use an overly complicated process of pond filling and bilge pumps to construct the entire thing in the middle of the volcano! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  :D

6. DrGravitas cancels upload image: Stonesense is still drawing.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 3842