Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127658 times)

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5790 on: September 10, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

They were primarily flooded. I found a few patches of land here and there, but they were very small. I think maybe I've been over-hyping the dangers of the caverns? I didn't realize that most of the dwellers were so weak (first time I ever breached, I was attacked by trolls, trogs and giant cave swallows immediately). Perhaps I was just unlucky that time? Or, maybe it's time for me to finally figure out the military screen. ;)
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »

Edit2: Apparently she's been "utterly traumatized" lately by my amazing pet cemetery. None of the coffins in there are set to allow citizens, much less set up as tombs.

Nobles are weird. My baroness was apparently utterly traumatized by "a lesser's pretentious burial arrangements". This "lesser" was her deceased husband. Of course putting a zombie gorlak in her tomb solved that problem.

Speaking of which, I used to think she was getting promoted posthumously to the position of count/duke/ etc., but apparently she isn't. My new engraver just made an engraving of her being removed from the position of baron. The dwarves in the picture were refusing her, implying they took her out of power. I think he needs a history lesson though, since she didn't get removed by the dwarves. A darnen shoved a spear through her skull.

On second though, he can engrave whatever he wants so long as it doesn't have Dwarves being killed. The old engraver left us with enough demoralizing images of Shuturn the Ogre beating dwarves to death with a backpack.

I get a bunch of engravings of humans killing elves in the year 20. And, since I have a few dozen artifacts, tons of engravings of them being created.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:58 pm »

Emenshorast, my old old old 40d version fort, is getting to it's 14 year of existence - that means kids growing up into adults in next few months. Everyone is anticipating this event - especially that the fort in in dire need of haulers...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »

I get a bunch of engravings of humans killing elves in the year 20. And, since I have a few dozen artifacts, tons of engravings of them being created.

That's probably because those humans killing elves is the most important historical event that occurred in your forts location. That's why there are tons of engravings of human taming jaguars in my fort. Also, I don't have many engravings of artifacts despite my abundance of them. What I do have is a ton of engravings of engravings of artifacts. I wonder if it's possible to get an engraving of an engraving of an engraving of an engraving of an engraving etc.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: September 10, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »

Yeah, I stopped world gen at 50. It's 77 now.

A war between humans and elves is about the only thing that really happened in the world.

I wish I could view Legends mode any time I wanted.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: September 10, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »

Ursit McGuardCaptain: I heard that one of the foul beasts is approaching the fort. You better round up the boys and put it down.
Urist McMilitiaCommander: Sure, just let me finish this ale first.
*later*
Ursit McGuardCaptain: The soldiers are all charging down into the abyss. Shouldn't you go with them?
Urist McMilitiaCommander: Oh I would, but I'm just so tired after fighting those zombie bluefish. I wouldn't be much of a help in my current state. I'm sure they'll be fine.
*later*
Ursit McGuardCaptain: One of the haulers saw them fighting. .......they're not doing so well. You really need to help them.
Urist McMilitiaCommander: Alright, alright, just let me pick up my equipment. I'm sure I left that gauntlet lying around here somewhere.
*later*
Ursit McGuardCaptain: Come on, you can hear their screams all the way up here! Get down there and fight!
Urist McMilitiaCommander: Oh...well, I um.....need to get provisions! That's right. I can't be charging into battle without a backpack full of food, now can I?
Ursit McGuardCaptain: You bloody coward! I don't see how an Elf like you became the milita commander. I'll deal with this abomination myself! Now where did I put my adamantine crossbow....bah! I don't need it. I'll just bash it to death with this copper shield!

At this point Ngogngo (how would you even pronounce that) is just taunting me. He ripped one of the soldier's arms off, removed his copper gauntlet, and his now beating them to death with it.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: September 10, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »

Ngogngo is Goblin for "Mine."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »

Well, my blacksmiths used my steel bars really faster than what my smelters can produce. Though my military is now in fully armed and armored it's not a big problem for now. The biggest problem is the lack of leather and cloths for backpacks and waterskins. Because of that I've decided to forge simple gold flasks.

For now my masons have nearly completed the roofing of the entrance, my mayor banned the export of glove (I think I can manage that) and one of my dwarf is possessed and waiting in the dining room while I have all the possible workshops. The wiki says that a moody glassmaker will only used a normal glass furnace so I'll try building one since he have some skills in glassmaking.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: September 10, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »

I'm building a gobbo launcher, complete with magma and kitten bait. Will post results as soon as they come in.

Oh, and one of my mason caveinned himself while building it over the volcano, fell 50+ zlevels, and then bled to death. No splat on impact, no drowning whilst he fell. Glitches are fun.

One more thing: my engravers and making a big-ass room of engravings for training and historical purposes. When they finish it, they'll move on to the z-level I decided to completely mine out.

Edit: Just found a decent vein of goblinite. Sadly, a mason died whilst discovering it. Also sadly, it showed up before the trap was complete.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:16:42 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: September 10, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

Oh no, I just embarked with Zombie Eagles...
Diggy diggy hole.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: September 10, 2010, 07:58:46 pm »

I got a Platinum Anvil! I don't think it has any bearing on anything tho.. oh well. At least it wasn't an earring.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:11 pm »

Enthusiasm for Windhame has been slightly dented by a desperate shortage of wood...this map lacks coal, so my only source of refined coal is charcoal.  We'll be heavily dependent on the caravans for wood, so hopefully we'll be able to equip our troops before goblins show up.  If not, traps and static defenses will have to suffice...being literally on top of a mountain next to a volcano is helpful.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: September 10, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

On my current game, I have a chicken who got swarmed by 10 vultures, the thing nearly died before going berserk and decapitating all of them with pecks, she currently has a massive scar on both wings, right eye, and across the body, she has pitch black eyes...... Damn most dwarven chicken I've ever had.
Nom nom nom

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »

And another fort is lost to Windows randomly deciding to shut itself down.

Time to delete the mess of old autosave files I have and gen a new world. Hopefully one with MOAR TITANS.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »

Just got besieged. I saw the force and knew I was a goner. 45 goblin spear and hammermen all on voracious cave crawlers with 9 troll. My militia consisted of 8 hardened warriors and 6 new recruits, all equipped with full steel armour and steel warhammers. Turns out I am an idiot--cause I held it off with men left to spare. My cage traps caught many, my 3 ballistae all missed (that's not completely true--they killed a cat) and my force attacked piecemeal. I lost a recruit, Leeroy, immediately as he foolishly charged headlong at the enemy--my fault for naming him that xD. He was no match for them (you know your armour-using skill is low when you get your heart shredded by a copper spear through steel plate and chain xD) Chuck Norris (a hardened one) was rendered unconscious and promptly surrounded by six speargoblins and 3 trolls. The rest of the gobbo force advanced and the melee was joined. The initial force was killed (I lost Saxton Hale, another veteran, to a Lashmaster which shattered his skull with an iron whip through his steel helm, and a recruit) as I managed to isolate them thanks to Chuck Norris's noble sacrifice (it took EIGHTY FUCKING PAGES of combat log for them to kill Chuck--he truly was a durable dwarf).

The bulk of the gobbos and trolls were smote by Gimli (my Captain of the Guard) and my other seasoned warriors (Ensigns with plain first names) were routed. Their axemaster fled, and awesomely, an elven trade caravan was on its way in at the time. The axemaster lopped off some pansy elf's leg and then cut them in half before making good his escape. The axemaster also lopped off my fresh recruit Elijiah Woods's hand and sent him fleeing.

Just goes to show you how cage traps combined with trained and well-equipped dwarves can hold off an insane amount of enemies (Gimli had no less than 14 goblin kills without taking a scratch and a few others had over 4 kills each) . I am in the process of stripping the 25 or so prisoners of their possessions before dropping them into my execution pit. If they were all lashers, I woulda been screwed, but it is awesome that dwarves really are worth many more their numbers in gobbos (that aren't using whips).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:34:40 pm by mrtspence »
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 3842