Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3838 3839 [3840] 3841

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6068346 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57585 on: July 11, 2024, 07:13:19 pm »

Tangletooth fell to 'Oxut', flamebeastie. The creature first gained entry through a burnt-out larch door, and after killing many dwarves became trapped in the hospital.
Later, 'Oxut' was released purely by accident.. killed some more dwarves, then again became trapped behind a locked door.

I thought recovery was still feasible, until a ghostly stonecutter unlocked the dining room door and let 'Oxut' out for a third and final rampage through the halls of Tangletooth.

Without war training, the mammoths were mostly ineffective against the creature's flame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0gchwrjcA

at the end, 'Oxut' melts away the foundations of the icekeep while flaming mammoths try to escape the slaughter

story here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57586 on: July 17, 2024, 04:01:24 pm »

One thing I love about this game's worlds is how much scale plays a role in the world.

In the Forests of Burning game we have in the community game the world is so huge and over populated that a battle of several hundred combatants is pretty standard and exiled forces from nations will literally cross continents to settle in new towns.

Versus my other very large world stopped at year 5 even a battle between 20 goblins and 20 humans could reshape that entire region and its history. Seriously, one human leader gets knocked off, or RNG somehow knocks off the demon master and suddenly a whole civilization changes direction even if the scale of warfare is so much smaller.

In an overpopulated world you can eliminate the clown leader of the goblin and the goblins still got a 10k population to tidal wave the rest of the world. Not so in young worlds!

Its neat to observe!

LoamEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57587 on: July 18, 2024, 03:25:51 am »

One of my dogs has experienced what I can only describe as immaculate conception. All of the male dogs in my fortress have been gelded and the dog population has been stagnant for over a year. One winter she gave birth to a single male puppy out of nowhere. I'm pretty grateful for it, since an undead siege had wiped out most of their numbers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57588 on: July 18, 2024, 03:26:25 am »

Icebulwark may finally, for the first time in over a year now, again exploit the upper caverns. For a time at least.

Pip, a monstrous being comprised of vomit that spat webs had basically left us unable to do anything down there the entire time. We'd tried to make a trap using one of our many many excess war bears, which in hindsight was honestly pretty cruel, to bait it into a deadfall trap. Sadly we didn't lock the door fast enough, so that plan didn't work.

Instead our savior came in the form of Adur Nerdunan, a cyclopean, toxin-spitting gecko. Adur turned out to be immune to Pip's webs. They clashed in a cavern lake for the better part of a day before Pip was left an inert mound of slop and shell in the water. At this, the militia marched out to hunt the Gecko. They did this while missing the accompaniment of Sibrek Nazomlolok, a member of the Crystal Biters - the commander's squad and a veteran of many topside clashes. He'd gone out looking to profit off of Pip's leavings of dead cave crocodiles.

Adur jumped him while the squad, the Mountain Fists, were looking for the monster and they came running when it started making a raucous chasing him. He dropped the body, drew his umasteel axe and faced the monster down. He managed to fell it without becoming even slightly worn out, chopping it apart and killing it via bloodloss. This earned him the title of 'Gecast' - making his rightful name now Sibrek Nazomlolok, "The Skewered."

This was because Udil and Ushrir, two of the Mountain Fists, believed him to be as good as skewered meat if that thing had gotten the drop on him. And since Sibrek couldn't name his axe in honor of the victory, one of the other troops named her spear to celebrate the victory.

At an unrelated settlement, Thundercrystal - established in the Forest of Ignition as a staging ground for a war to aid another civ - the Severe Rope - has seen its first real fight against not elves or goblins, but cavern dwellers. That the elves have not made an appearance (after a flouting of their values and murder of two caravans as well as frequent tree-fells agitating the local wildlife,) seems to indicate the expected war may be coming soon.

They have issues with one particular dwarf though, Cerol. She is an utterly cheerless, miserable little dwarf who seems more interested in yelling at Duke Sibrek than actually addressing her various issues with loneliness and whatnot. It's been quite due for imprisonment though her assault of two citizens and other disorderly conduct did leave an opening for a newly-appointed sheriff (the population is quite small,) to begin investigating visitors for various plots to steal the settlement's accrued treasures.

She'll be spending time in a small cell bolted to an iron chain before being exiled if her mood doesn't improve.

Meanwhile Baktur, a firebreathing magpie, has come to bring ruin to Thundercrystal. The militia positioned itself in a dry stone corridor in the hopes of mitigating the flames.

Commander Cerol 9different from the depressed and tantrum-prone one,) took the lead, her morning star busting the monsters skull with one solid whack as she blocked gouts of flame with her shield! She shattered a leg and bruised a lung in short order, crippling the beast and leaving it vulnerable as Doren attacked it from behind with a flail and the other war dwarves piled out to engage the monster.

The Ent-cleaver Nil and the Speardwarf Shorast, otherwise known as the Doom of Anu for his slaying of a similarly-terrible monster followed in next, each chopping, bashing and stabbing at the malicious bird to bring it low and protect the beardlings above. Before long, Baktur was silent - a blow from Cerol's morningstar crushing its head. Not wanting to leave the meat to rot from such a fine kill - and wanting its head to mount in the Iron Hall where Duke Sibrek took court - a butchery was set up in short order while Doren cleaned up the mess.

Not long after, the cheerless Cerol's pet bear died from an infection caused by wounds it sustained defending its master when she started a fight with the Duke himself.

This encounter led to the decision to close the caverns somewhat and allow them the means to lock out hazards with solid dolomite doors, flush with the dolomite cavern walls to reduce detection.

Next time they wagered they wouldn't be so fortunate.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57589 on: July 23, 2024, 11:06:53 am »

One of my dogs has experienced what I can only describe as immaculate conception. All of the male dogs in my fortress have been gelded and the dog population has been stagnant for over a year. One winter she gave birth to a single male puppy out of nowhere. I'm pretty grateful for it, since an undead siege had wiped out most of their numbers.

wow, keep an eye on that puppy, he might be the one
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57590 on: July 23, 2024, 07:13:48 pm »

I just realized the east coast, in my story, seems to be nothing but a massive war between the elfs and the humans.  And the humans seem to be winning.  Slowly.   
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57591 on: July 26, 2024, 12:44:56 pm »

I hit 1000 hrs premium. . my poor, poor tendons

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57592 on: July 26, 2024, 03:20:55 pm »

One of my poor dwarves who lost the use of his arms and legs years ago peaked at 100k stress this autumn. He still hasn't totally lost his mind since he'll do jobs on occasion, but yeah.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57593 on: July 26, 2024, 03:52:24 pm »

Any dwarf that has made an artifact can never go insane.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57594 on: July 27, 2024, 04:17:42 am »

Well done, Sal. I think I'm hovering around 100 only...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57595 on: July 27, 2024, 05:15:07 am »

Well done, Sal. I think I'm hovering around 100 only...

I clocked in around 155, but I've also been playing a bunch on classic testing mod crap.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57596 on: July 27, 2024, 01:08:05 pm »

156.8 for me as of June. Been on a break from Premium though as I'm waiting until adventure mode gets out of beta.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57597 on: August 01, 2024, 04:04:41 pm »

A few happenings from Dustabbeys:

I'm getting the hang of achieving more relationships in my fort between my dwarves. Damn near everyone except the ornery king has at least 1 friend, and it's only been 20 years? Medium-sized taverns and guild halls really do wonders for bringing the people together.

My captain of the guard, who wields an ancient relic mace, has a lover: none other than her fellow warrior whom I called "Spear Saint" for his incredible heroism diving deep into a group of zombies and passing out from exhaustion just as his battle-brothers caught up to him so luckily he wasn't brained while asleep. Hopefully they're just as lucky in love as they are in war.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57598 on: August 10, 2024, 06:19:37 pm »

I am pondering why the Town of Coldness has a Sheriff if no crimes have happened.  Also thinking about giving him the name of Wolfe just because I am a fan of Rex Stout.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57599 on: August 10, 2024, 06:38:57 pm »

more vanilla creatures mod continues to surprise and, in this case, horrify, when Silverspoils was attacked by an army of ambulatory giant hands.

The wererhinocerouses were deployed, four of them, but they also fell to the hand-horde:

By the time the second army of creeping eyes arrived, the battle was mostly finished.

37 dwarves escaped, however Silverspoils is no more.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:40:46 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 3838 3839 [3840] 3841