Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3829 3830 [3831] 3832 3833 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958619 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57450 on: November 19, 2023, 09:27:08 pm »

28th year of Heroochre. Apparently 2048 historical figures have died here, and I'm guessing that the numbers don't include those unnamed "other kills" soldiers. Who knows how many people actually died here. The dwarf with the highest kill count that I've seen is Onol Lashstockade, the Pointy Aura of Tempests, with a whopping 99 kills in her 26 years of service:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She carries three artifacts into battle: a lead mail shirt, an adamantine left gauntlet, and a jagged adamantine right gauntlet (made like 20 years apart lmao)

Something strange is that a goblin outcast group, The Tick of Lakes, that is based in the same spire as one of the goblin civ's waging war on me (said spire has 16 goblin civilians and >1700 goblin outcasts) sends "representatives" to come hang out at my tavern. Members of the Tick of Lakes (and other outcast groups) have fought alongside the parent civ in other wars, I would guess that some of them must have died in one of the many sieges, but apparently we're on friendly enough terms for them to send a representative to chum it up with my dwarves. I guess it must be a bit of a mercenary sort of relationship they have with the actual goblin civ.

edit: a pair of warriors got married

edit2: The main reason i wanted to to post something was this: I did not keep the save information from Legends Viewer, but i wanna say that at 1050, the world had ~40k goblins in it. at some point it dropped to 28k due to wars between the two giant goblin civ's, and now at 1078 im proud to say that there's only 14k left. both dark fortresses in-game were reported in 1050 as having >10000 inhabitants each, and now both are down to ~2000, though their many castles and forts dot the map with populations in the thousands
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 09:45:58 pm by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57451 on: November 22, 2023, 01:57:50 am »

Had something like 30 rodent people captured over a few years, and had their cages placed in the arena and released them for the marks marksdwarves to practice on. Takes them a while, not as long as the goblin prisoners did (one of them became a professional shield goblin blocking their bolts) and left the arena painted green and red from all the blood and vomit.

I finished the magma pump stack, shortening the trip to the forges by 116 z-levels. Powered it with a spiral of water wheels descending most of the height of the second cavern, which is like 80 z-levels on its own. Produced about 5000 power at its peak, but could have been better designed. Gonna use alternating straight lines next time I think. Or just water reactors.

Also captured a web spitting forgotten beast. Found out building destroyers aren't working at the moment, so it's easy to trap them with hatch covers and doors. The beast has been producing some silk thanks to some chained geese.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57452 on: November 24, 2023, 06:12:28 am »

A dragon visited the fort. While I was scrambling to activate the lever for the drawbridge over the moat the dragon melted the drawbridge. It looks like the human traders are going to be spending the winter in the fort.

I stationed my marksdwarves on top of the central keep. And then accidentally de-ramped the path into the underground fortress. So when they ran out of ammo and couldn't reload, they jumped down, ran towards the dragon and attempted to jump across the 5 tile wide moat. 5 drowned. One is now an accomplished swimmer but is stuck in the moat because of the high banks. It didn't go well for the two that made it across. Now they have been "missing for a week". I know exactly where the burning corpses are, but my dwarves don't, so I can't make slabs for them.

Dragonfire ignited vegetation inside my moat. The flame front destroyed over 1000 accumulated bones that were lying in my outdoor butcher shop.

An artifact rope that used to leash a watchdog near the drawbridge is now permanently on fire.

My plan now is to dig a flood-able trapped tunnel under the moat.

In other news: a forgotten beast arrived in the third caverns: one of the places that is disconnected from the rest so I haven't been able to wall it off yet. It triggered the reveal of around 120 rodent people and died in less than a second. Now I have combat log spam of rodent people thinking "this is my fight. I am not afraid". Guys: the fight is over.

Edit: now the swimmer is starving and dehydrated. Dehydrated... while swimming in 7/7 fresh water *sigh*
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 06:30:53 pm by lazygun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57453 on: November 24, 2023, 08:36:32 am »

Sounds like a lot of !!FUN!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57454 on: November 25, 2023, 03:14:58 am »

Dragon visited my fort too, died in the weapon trap hall. But he left me a gift:

The mess on the floor there, in my food stockpile, is thanks to a collapsing willow tree above a medium-sized pond.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 03:16:36 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sum1overthere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57455 on: November 25, 2023, 12:14:33 pm »

Trying a Terrifying biome. There does not seem to be undead but hoping to have fun soon.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57456 on: November 26, 2023, 06:39:27 pm »

So, an update to my post above.

Given enough completely untrained marksdwarfs shooting at long range, even with a low hit-rate you can get the dragon to "Bleeding" for long enough that it dies before it heal the wounds! Result! Long range here means almost the distance from the centre of a 1x1 embark to the edge. Dragonfire seems to stay roughly at the same z-level of the dragon, so the marksdwarves were high enough to be safe. Except when they decided the quickest way to reload was to jump down off the central keep. Luckily only one of them did so when the dragon was visible from ground level. RIP Ingiz. Maybe if I build the wall on the north side of the fort a little bit higher they won't see enemies from ground level, and won't try to jump across the moat.

The dragon at one point dodged into the moat. On the way to climbing out, dragonfire turned the swimmer into subatomic plasma. I learned that apparently a creature "unable to walk" can be pretty damn mobile when in the water.

Using a bit of engineering and a couple of screw pumps, I managed to extinguish the burning artifact rope. Only thing is, the engineering works form a shortcut across the moat, so now to carefully demolish them ASAP.

The dragon got butchered and a child fell into a secretive mood and turned the dragon skeleton (all 120 bones) into decoration of an artifact amulet.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57457 on: November 27, 2023, 07:27:17 am »

Gravearmor
year 56
pop 668

A dragon this way comes...
We gathered around the door, then unlocked it.
The dragon died immediately.

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57458 on: November 28, 2023, 12:16:38 am »

The dragon fire swept around the castle and across 3/4 of the 5x5 embark.
It burned all the wooden cage traps on its way around, of course.
After it finally burned out, something weird is going on...

Down in the underworld, dwarves are not doing some jobs I've designated,
especially "remove construction" even when on priority "1".

I will let time pass and see if it clears up, otherwise  :'(

***** edit: It was caused by job cancellation spam. 100+ cage traps needed to be refilled with new cages and after all the available cages were used those jobs couldn't be completed. Apparently they were higher priority than anything else, or were just blocking other jobs somehow.  Destroying those empty traps was the solution! *********
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 12:58:55 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57459 on: November 28, 2023, 12:57:09 am »

The dragon fire swept around the castle and across 3/4 of the 5x5 embark.
I once had something like this but I managed not only to set a huge fire on the surface but in the fort as well.  I had the idea of luring it into the fort where it could be swarmed by multiple squads.

I kind of forgot that all my early workshops (which were all near the entrance) were made of wood.  Whoops.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57460 on: November 30, 2023, 11:42:57 am »

Well the 120 rodent people are starting to go insane due to mainly to boredom but also remembered trauma. I found one of them stumbling around oblivious. What drew my attention was two of them trying to murder each other. So that’s a berserker. And it explains why I found two corpses at the bottom of a 40+ level underground cliff. I am still going to build a weapon-trap-filled corridor to directly clear them out, because they are sending my frame rate into single figures.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57461 on: December 01, 2023, 09:38:35 am »

Well the 120 rodent people are starting to go insane due to mainly to boredom but also remembered trauma. I found one of them stumbling around oblivious. What drew my attention was two of them trying to murder each other. So that’s a berserker. And it explains why I found two corpses at the bottom of a 40+ level underground cliff. I am still going to build a weapon-trap-filled corridor to directly clear them out, because they are sending my frame rate into single figures.

That's good to know, because from my experience they can linger for very long time, and new wave can spawn without the previous one dissipating (so there can be hundreds of them simultaneously). I have a bunch, about 60, spawned behind trees in narrow corridors, so they cannot attack me, nor can I easily attack them. I know about them only thanks to DFHack, so they are unrevealed. Maybe revealing them would cause them to start getting insane.

As for finding corpses of rodent men and other animal people, they are attacked by forgotten beasts and other wildlife, that may be other reason for... corpses.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57462 on: December 01, 2023, 09:17:34 pm »

Honestly, you can just turn off invasions for a while (or specifically cavern invasions in the advanced difficulty options) and wait until you've dealt with the ones that are there currently.

I had some cave fish men trapped in the second caverns for years in one fort.
I make Spellcrafts!

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #57463 on: December 10, 2023, 05:21:01 pm »

So I embark for a brand new fortress (the previous failed due to the werelizard problem AND FPS death).

I name the fortress Deathspiral.

I name the group of dwarves to embark to it The Act Of Failure just to be extra cheeky.

Guess what happens in the first few hours of gameplay.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57464 on: December 12, 2023, 02:48:39 pm »

An anxiety-prone baby in my fort was accosted by hamters and was "panicked." She is now miserable.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 3829 3830 [3831] 3832 3833 ... 3838