Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3822 3823 [3824] 3825 3826 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972556 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57345 on: August 15, 2023, 03:33:06 pm »

Unfortunately, undead do not have emotions and cannot go mad. You'll have to be a little more hands on with your execution. Speaking of hands on, do you know which tower is sending the thieves? You could send a squad or two to give them a personal introduction to dwarven justice, and probably even get your artifacts back.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57346 on: August 15, 2023, 10:13:56 pm »

I just got a unique demon visitor in my fort. A lizard brute poet, to be specific. His name is Genlath Lovemenaced the Simple Cave. He came here to entertain people. Never knew that could happen.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57347 on: August 16, 2023, 01:20:25 am »

Thosbutavuz - Drillmined
A flat landscape filled with hags and wizards. But underground industry is brewing. The upper - temporary champers filling the needs of the workers while they dig out what is to be the grand dining hall and first level personal chambers. A waterfall has already been installed - powered by a light aquifier.

The first area of the fortress proper to be used is the hospital. Three levels with 6 personal rooms per level as order by Bomrek Cruxplank, an immigrant who's medical skills are legendary. Shortly after the inauguration she was taken by a strange mood.

Wandering aimlessly in the temporary dining hall until one dwarf realised that she was muttering about cloth and a Clothier's shop was quickly furnished. The bookkeeper grumbled angrily as she claimed several of the fortress most valuable resource - steel bars. Still not enough, she had taken what scraps of pigtail was avalible but still wanted more. The fine silks or heavy wool yarns was rejected. An effort was made to gather wild pig tails from the caverns and they made it before Bomrek went mad.

Had Bomrek succumbed it would have been a devestating blow, not only from loosing such a skilled medical dwarf but because of the prestige to loose such a well regarded dwarf within out civilization.

For a long time she worked and toiled while muttering "Kizbiz" hissing at curious onlookers who wanted to see what she was up to until she emerged with his finish product. Spent from the effort she presented the latest artefact to the expedition leader.

"Kizbiz Rít" - pig tail thong.

'This is a pig tail thong. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest qualirt. It is decorated with pig tail. It is made of pig tail cloth. This object mences with spikes of steel. On the irem is an image of Fikod Cloudylantern the dwarf and the dwarves in pig tail. Fikod Cloudylantern is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Fikod Cloudylantern to the position of queen of The Notched Cloister in 1. On the item is an image of peach trees in pig tail.'

Her husband Mebzuth Workstruck has recently been muttering about how the old hag has lost her mind in her hold age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57348 on: August 27, 2023, 12:14:13 pm »

The forgotten beast "Yppy" came to my fort. Some kind of giant bird with a deadly dust syndrome. It immediately attacked the cavern wildlife and the effects had me quite worried. Animals that came close seemed to immediately fall unconcious, despite having no obvious wounds. This thing seemed like a pain to fight.

But now it has suddenly dissapeared. There is no corpse, no death message, and it is not being mentioned in any unit list. The last combat log had it right at the map edge. The cavern level is fully explored. For now I'll assume that it dodged from the map edge, possibly because of a dust explosion, but I haven't seen this behaviour before. I fully expect the beast to reapear somehow, and murder my fortress.

Edit: And it's back again!
No clue as to where it was hiding...

Edit 2: killed it! half my military is unconcious, but everybody is alive for now. The Queen and her consort delivered the final blows, but have passed out on the cavern floor.
Hope the doctors collect them before the royal family is eaten by the nearby crundles.

Edit 3: A near identical forgotten beast appeared ten days later, but this one did have a nastier syndrome and was made of stone. Anyone that got near (80% of the military) is blinded, for life, I presume. The queen escaped this fate as she was still passed out on the floor because of the previous forgotten beast syndrome.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:54:05 pm by Bralbaard »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57350 on: August 28, 2023, 10:00:04 pm »

Anyone that got near (80% of the military) is blinded, for life,

mother of god.. that rivals a web slinger in deadliness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57351 on: August 29, 2023, 01:22:43 am »

Zero casualties between those two beasts, surprisingly. I am training a new military though. The old squad of blind veterans will keep training and will protect the fort as a second line of defense, if needed. They are all legendary warriors.

Another interesting thing about the fortress is the religions. All three  religions that have petitioned for a temple so far are death cults.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57352 on: August 29, 2023, 03:06:58 am »

I actually lost 39 dwarves in one go to a beast in my museum playthrough just yesterday. Deadly vapors that cause extreme bleeding and necrosis, got 80% of the military at the time, including three babies being carried into battle by their mothers and all the legendary soldiers that migrated. The beast went down like a rock, then everyone died.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57353 on: August 29, 2023, 08:41:11 am »

Ouch!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57354 on: August 29, 2023, 06:25:19 pm »

[CAN_LEARN] livestock can do and be assigned labors.

My fort has dwarves and troglodytes. The troglodytes are the more numerous ones. They haul, plant and gather, while the dorfs occupy production stuff, such as carpentry and brewery.

It is going well so far, I guess. As well as it can be.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57355 on: August 31, 2023, 08:44:33 am »

I like looking at what's going on randomly:

46  no job
3   carve fortification
14  construct bldg
2   make rock grate
56  detail wall
12  dig channel
59  drink
3   dump
14  eat
5   fish
1   make cloth headgear
1   make leather pants
1   make splint
1   give water
3   harvest plants
136 individual combat drill
1   lead armor demo
1   lead biting demo
1   lead kicking demo
1   lead mining demo
1   lead pump demo
1   lead striking demo
1   lead unknown demo
1   lead wrestling demo
15  listen to story
1   make rock crafts
1   meditate on blight
1   meditate on death
1   meditate on deformity
1   meditate on disease
1   meditate on fortresses
1   meditate on jewels
4   meditate on mountains
1   meditate on peace
1   meditate on rain
1   meditate on rebirth
1   meditate on storms
2   meditate on wealth
4   archery practice
23  spar
7   operate pump (workout)
6   pasture lg animal
3   pickup equipment
6   play
12  play makebelieve
1   play w/toy
1   ponder/research
12  pray
3   prepare meal
2   prepare raw fish
51  sleep
3   socialize
1   soldier
1   store item in bag
5   store item in barrel
25  store item in bin
15  store item in stockpile
9   store owned item
1   tell story
1   train animal
1   watch armor demo
1   watch biting demo
1   watch kicking demo
1   watch mining demo
6   watch pump demo
1   watch striking demo
2   watch unknown demo
2   watch wrestling demo
1   weave cloth

606 population
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57356 on: August 31, 2023, 10:15:40 am »

606 population

By Armok's armpit hair 600? What's your FPS look like?  :P
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
The descent into madness
« Reply #57357 on: August 31, 2023, 03:22:24 pm »

The descent into madness

The fortress of Stokedgem

16th Opal, mid winter, year 7

Since creation dwarven kind has spread out into the vast reaches of the world, seeking wonders beyond imagination, beyond the senses.

"We have such sights to show you" echoed softy on the ears of many dwarf.

Immortality, life forever the mere idea thrilled some dwarf so maddeningly that it consumed them utterly.

After the sacred covenant took place fourteen dwarves stand together as masters over life and death, this pleased them.

Within a short time though they quickly realized the folly in their hubris, one day some merchants visited, a day like any other, bringing supplies from the mountainhome.

Utterly mad with boardom the merchants were attacked viciously, struck down with copper picks wielded by seven crazed dwarves. Each merchant fell only to be raised as a feral ghoul hunter, a mere shadow of the being it used to be. Crazed,opposed to life and blood drunk they fell upon the the seven dwarves.

A battle ensued a gnashing of teeth,sinew,muscle,guts and bone. The screams could be heard for unknown distances but these were not the screams of the living. For each time the feral ghouls would be felled they would spring immediately back to life, such was the consequence of wielding power beyond ones control.

The battle raged.......and raged.......and raged......and raged, nothing was safe from this chaos even animals were sencelessly slaughtered and brought back as animal shades.   

Finally after a time, refered to now as the "Moment of convergence" when the  battle finally stopped, almost as suddenly as it began. In its wake left thirteen dwarves standing....sort of.

{music:drink and industry plays}

The thirteen dwarves left standing were badly injured not that they could feel pain or were worried about their injurys, mangled beyond recognition most of them, out of the thirteen four still had intact bodys and were still sort of alive....more alive than the others.

Quick to action the expedition leader made a hospitle and brought the injured there to begin triage. It was hell made flesh, a sight to behold, before the leader were twelve severely injured paitents.  With blundering speed he went to work, with a flurry of stiches and cloth he did what he could. Quickly though he realised that they had been fooled, tricked into this exsistance. None of thier injurys were healing and each time the hospitle fills with injured, only for them to leave when when the hospitle closes. Trapped forever in this life between life.

{Ghostly merchants wailing, killing whoever they can, while undead llamas and other animals screech in the distance}
{undead workers work quietly and without thought or emotion, mindlessly producing and never consuming}

More merchants have come since then, they too have joined the ranks of the slowly growing undead populace that is Stokedgem, they too toil in the dark digging deeper, ever deeper, "WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU" softly echoing in the dark, damp corridors.

i hope you enjoyed this df inspired short story, if you made it this far. It was as fun to watch as it was to write this nonsense :D

this is just after the big battle xD
https://imgur.com/a/PwSVnca

elilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57358 on: September 01, 2023, 11:10:15 am »

ok let's make a nondenominational temple for my dwarves, I'll put a statue in gold so that they get happy.  should I pick a theme, haha no I'll let them choose what's the statue of, maybe they'll make a statue of, dunno, a piece of cheese or a bee or something and then it'll be funny that they worship that.  it's unlikely that they pick something actually related to religio—

"This is a well-crafted gold statue of Itęg.  The item is a well-designed image of Itęg the deity of lust and depravity, depicted as a female dwarf in gold by Olan Alĺthshethęth.  Itęg is laughing."

(and Itęg is "tentacle"—I'm guessing this part isn't random? the algorithm looks for words related to the deity's spheres of influence when naming them, right? otherwise I am myself converting to Itęg at this point)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57359 on: September 01, 2023, 11:49:30 am »

(and Itęg is "tentacle"—I'm guessing this part isn't random? the algorithm looks for words related to the deity's spheres of influence when naming them, right? otherwise I am myself converting to Itęg at this point)
correct
Pages: 1 ... 3822 3823 [3824] 3825 3826 ... 3839