Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3821 3822 [3823] 3824 3825 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972928 times)

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57330 on: July 29, 2023, 09:59:37 am »

I've just reclaimed a world-genned ruined fortress. Dorfs are still mainly hauling stuff to new stockpiles, so early days. I've got two 2-dorf squads designated but they're still equipping.

Three hostile unarmed, unarmored elves, a hostile human child (added:) and a hostile goblin bard are hanging out in the world-gen underground bedroom area. They're generating Ambush! announcements, but combat isn't ensuing. Debating whether to slaughter them after everyone picks up weapons, or just leave them alone and see how long it goes on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 10:08:33 am by Goldbeard »

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57331 on: July 30, 2023, 12:56:35 pm »

I'm playing the third fort in this world and I discovered last fort (haunted yuck-rain reanimation hurray) that the king of this dwarven civ is a raven man necromancer. So. Cool. So this fort is called Ravenpeak and it's gonna be an awesome home for our cool king.

Who arrived a couple months ago despite me not giving any gifts to the caravans. We're not ready! *sweat*

So we scrambled to dig him out decent (for a king) quarters and rooms and all and are continuing to work on building his aboveground palace/castle thing. Hopefully I won't accidentally remove the wrong ceiling tile again and cause a seven z-level smashing of holes through the fortress! *GIF of Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters II yelling 'Sorry! My fault!"* (Miraculously nobody died!)

I'm trying my darnest to Stop Making Things and give away all my extraneous things to the caravan so my FPS will recover a bit. It's not bad, but it is laggy sometimes. Especially when twelve nobles show up all at once *discontent muttering*. And then half of them keep going and coming back. *sigh* But we have 140 dwarves (and one raven man) on a 2x2 embark so it's not unexpected.
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57332 on: July 30, 2023, 04:32:09 pm »

Three hostile unarmed, unarmored elves, a hostile human child (added:) and a hostile goblin bard are hanging out in the world-gen underground bedroom area. They're generating Ambush! announcements, but combat isn't ensuing. Debating whether to slaughter them after everyone picks up weapons, or just leave them alone and see how long it goes on.

You should definitely leave them alone to see what happens. Maybe nothing will happen, or maybe a classic DF weirdness moment will eventually ensue.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57333 on: July 31, 2023, 09:39:59 pm »

You should definitely leave them alone to see what happens. Maybe nothing will happen, or maybe a classic DF weirdness moment will eventually ensue.

A persuasive argument. I'll let it ride and report back. Though I'm not getting much play time due to real life, so may be some time.

Minor update to put me on topic, further Ambush! announcements put me up to 12 hostiles: 9 elves, the human child, a goblin bard, and a goblin prophet. All down at the bedroom level, and I believe present since I first arrived given my starting setup. I'm at peace with the only elven civilization I'm in contact with, and I just got my first elven caravan. I suspect some treachery or loyalty cascade tragedy led to the fall of the world-gen fort, but haven't dug in to see if that's real or imagined.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57334 on: August 01, 2023, 04:28:36 am »

Got a glacier titan made of filth, fought it at the brook crossing above the fortress. The first militia dwarves who met it drove it up into the trees, preventing it from being killed long enough to dust the entire group. It died easily once it was out of the tree. But now I have seven dwarves and two grizzly bear men in the hospital for extreme swelling and necrosis on every part of their body, and were also bleeding through the fortress on the way to the hospital.

Ive got a team of a dozen skilled doctors thanks to setting up a guild hall, time to turn that into experience. Need to produce soap though...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57335 on: August 01, 2023, 10:46:55 am »

Been a hot minute since I last posted in here. Playing on v47.05 with a mod loadout ZM5 made as the Light Worshipers from his Dwarfest Dungeon mod.

I had initially planned to build an above ground fort in the style of a typical, albeit fortified, human town.  Unfortunately the area I settled in, a mirthful savanna, has clouds of magical smoke billow through it every so often (which inflicts some noticeable debuffs on anything not considered "nature-aligned." This means I either deal with constantly-debuffed units, or live underground.

Which isn't exactly a great trade off if I'm being honest, because I prefer a very slow-burn, limited digging playstyle generally.

However, thanks to the presence of silverwoods, an SVE addition (which just updated to the most recent version I might add,) I was able to buy a hideously expensive warpstone executioner's sword, so there's that.

I also appear to have been attacked by two bandits, specifically moon owlkin. Which are apparently troll-sized owl-bear people. Nothing much in the way of armor besides one of the two having an armored harness, just plainclothes and their weapons. The fight went.... I hesitate to say fine? But at least it wasn't anything some stitches and bandages couldn't fix. The MCOM got a hole in his torso and  one of the other militia fighters got stabbed in the hand, though it doesn't seem to be anything permanent.

I may just say screw it and abandon the underground plans though and stick to my initial plan. The lack of my plank-making reaction is just going to necessitate I dig out a lot of rocks to make up for the wood deficiency.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57336 on: August 01, 2023, 10:25:51 pm »

One dwarf died of blood loss from the syndrome directly, everyone else recovered. Except one grizzly bear man who still has rotten lower body and upper legs. Crotch rot is brutal this year.

Since then, several other dwarves have come down with swollen body parts, mostly facial features like lips and cheeks and eyes. Not sure where the dust is coming from or if theyre coming into contact with infected blood left over, or even how they manage to get it on their faces and nothing else. Contaminated goblets? Buckets? No idea.

Got another gnoll ambush, they didn't make it through the traps though.

Lost a couple dwarves to my own flooding trap, including the Countess. Not to the trap itself of course, but rather to the drain/sewer into the caverns. The Countess managed to get washed down and into the caverns where she was stabbed to death by a serpent people ambush. And a militia dwarf got swept down a waterfall into the drainage tunnel, where they drowned.

Also had the dwarven caravan leave after a few merchants and animals drowned in the river, because a couple tried to path under the walls instead of through the hallways to get to the depot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 09:22:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57337 on: August 08, 2023, 10:23:18 am »

We're struggling to get through a FB without crashing. I don't know what 50.09 changed, but it's been rather crash prone whenever we're visited by FBs or invaders. Strangely, no issue with killing other beasts.

'Tis a shame. We've just dug out the bare minimum of the main base at the third cavern, and flooded the farm and cistern.

EDIT: I think it might be related to burrows. Burrow was on, a monster slayer was duking it out on the other side of the raised bridge, and the game was crashing every time regardless of whether the monster slayer lived or not. Turn off the burrow, and suddenly the game doesn't crash. It's reproducible on my save.

Kinda sucks, though. I need my burrows!  :'(

EDIT2: Had a thought, though it didn't pan out. I noticed if I unassigned everyone from the burrow, then there would still be a non-zero number of "assigned" dwarves—corrupted with dead dwarves most likely. Maybe deleting and redoing the burrow, then reassigning dwarves would stop the crashes, but no.

Doubt it's the dead dwarves, though. Regardless if you unassign as many as you can, deactivate the burrow, delete the burrow, recreate the burrow, reassign to the burrow, then reactivate the burrow; the game still crashes. Even if the dead dwarves died during an active burrow, I don't see how they can cause a crash without constantly crashing even after the invaders and forgotten beasts are dealt with. Either the "assigned" and "active burrow" states remain and the game should constantly crash, or they don't and there should be a conceivable path to remove the crashing during gameplay; but neither are happening.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 12:08:20 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57338 on: August 08, 2023, 03:34:15 pm »

three barn owl women have begun following Mafol the fish dissector, like pets or something. its been multiple years and he doesn't seem to mind. these creatures are definitely wild animals.... what the hell Mafol do you have something to tell us??

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57339 on: August 08, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »

Just lost a dwarf get stricken with a melancholy about 10 seconds before we breached the caverns to get the silk they needed for a strange mood. Kinda mad about how close the timing was, but oh well. RIP, she will make a fine first entry in my newly built pyramid tomb.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57340 on: August 12, 2023, 03:46:01 pm »

"The stray yak cow has been found,  starved to death"

:o

why? (or how?)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 04:00:33 pm by Bralbaard »

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57341 on: August 13, 2023, 10:22:50 am »

why? (or how?)

Grazers need a grass field to eat, and the larger the grazer the larger the field. Though it's not as bad as it used to be it still takes some management.

Occasionally I remember to check my big livestock for "hungry" or "starving," and may even mark one for slaughter while I redo pastures for the rest.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57342 on: August 13, 2023, 12:44:05 pm »

why? (or how?)

Grazers need a grass field to eat, and the larger the grazer the larger the field. Though it's not as bad as it used to be it still takes some management.

Occasionally I remember to check my big livestock for "hungry" or "starving," and may even mark one for slaughter while I redo pastures for the rest.
I think he was asking why it was dead on top of a tree.  Sometimes animals (and dwarves) dodge something upwards and end up in a tree, and can't get down.  Dwarves can be rescued with just a stepladder usually, but animals don't know how to get down.  You can build a ramp for them.  Or chop the tree down and cross your fingers (it can kill them).

To avoid it, don't have trees in your pastures.  And if you don't have pastures, make them to keep animals from wandering freely.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57343 on: August 13, 2023, 06:16:49 pm »

Spoiler: :o (click to show/hide)

why? (or how?)

I recently embarked on some hilly terrain and a bunch of the dwarves and animals spawned in the trees.  I failed to get a wagon, just a large debris field (unless it just exploded on embark, but there were no injuries or announcements).  Looks like you got a wagon, but some of your livestock likely spawned in the tree above it.

Kikkero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57344 on: August 15, 2023, 11:16:23 am »

My current project is setting up my undead prisoner zoo/ garbage disposal.  My Captain of the Guard doesn't actually seem to believe that criminals can be reformed, and, frankly, neither do I.  Whenever it's time for them to be released, he instead likes to cram the prisoners into cages, drop them on the floor, and then start cancellation-spamming that he can't release them because of an improper justice state, which I take to mean that he knows as well as I do that they're just going to do it again.  Gotta say, this is the first time me and my captain have really been on the same wavelength.  I like the cut of this guy's jib.

My original plan was going to be to just have all these fucking lowlifes beaten to death, but since my captain has graciously put them all into easily-linkable cages, for me, it's pretty obvious what I must do next.

Either I'm going to have each lever hooked up to their cage that will release them into the hallway where I can use a series of forbidden doors to force them over a retractable drawbridge, or I might make an alternate path that just dumps them into an arena pit where these undead losers can slowly go mad and start devouring each other.  They got away with 2 of my artifacts, and I was able to intervene and prevent a further 2 from leaving my fortress, so magma is far too quick a death for them.  I want it to both be painful and humiliating.  The only reason I have the death pit set up is as a contingency.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:18:26 am by Kikkero »
Pages: 1 ... 3821 3822 [3823] 3824 3825 ... 3839