Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128306 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5655 on: September 06, 2010, 12:48:13 am »

in .12

Just had the first siege in my fort that i fought off instead of shutting up when they showed up. Was watching my Marksdwarves peg away at the gobbos by the gate, killing the goblin civ's general, when i took a glance at the units list. I see a GCS, think "yay, free silk, and zoom to it. then i look around the caverns for a bit and OMGWTF the goblins have a squad attacking from the caverns!!!! lost a founding miner and a useless miller, and would have lost a few more had my melee troops not been right there.
     The squad cut thier way through to the gates, then pulled back as i locked them until further notice
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:34 am »

In an odd twist of events (a bug? or a miracle of Armok?) my blind axelord regained her sight!  As a matter of fact, all nerve damage from contact with the forgotten beast blood is gone.  The results of the battle are still there as well as the beast's corpse.  I'm pretty sure I have the right save...  Oh well.

I think I have a leak somewhere in my central stairwell where it breaches the cavern as now I got a skeletal bugbat to fly through and mess up a dog.  Time to build a more solid perimeter down there.  I'm also thinking of flooding the outside of the fort with magma to take care of all the goblin trash left over.  My haulers can't move that much garbage.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: September 06, 2010, 01:51:10 am »

Not much is happening in Beerstake. A few migrant waves, my military danger-room-training to legendary then destroying groundhogs for lols. Waiting for a titan or 5 to show up and give me an actual challenge. *spits on massive pile of groundhog corpses*

Oh yeah, and my traps currently consist of a bunch of masterwork copper axe traps, and green glass spiked ball traps. 1 row of each. I WANT TO HAVE SOME FUN, DAGNABBET!

Edit: Nevermind. I just tried building a "Floor the World with Magma" lever... and then tried to stop it from entering my fort with a wooden bridge. DERP. Oh well, at least I got to have some fun with the traders.

Edit again: And another fort falls to the ultra-beast named "Windows being a retard."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:47:22 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: September 06, 2010, 04:30:56 am »

My Captain of the Guard (a legendary swordsman+armor user+shield user+fighter+dodger clad in full-steel armor) dodged an arrow while standing on a 1-tile-wide bridge over the volcano mouth (yes, I love epic settings like that for battles)...

104 z-levels below, he discovered, in this order:
1. magma sea
2. Funmetal
3. 4 fire men, who attacked him immediately

He began hacking at them like a madman, all the while drowning and with the blood of his numerous kills boiling on his armor; 4 cuts, 4 flames snuffed... he drowned in the magma sea, his body unscathed by the heat, still enveloped by the vapors of his enemies' boiling blood...

epic or not?

Epic. Why is this not getting some love, people?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:40 am »

I just built 90 weapon traps with training spears for my danger room, only to remember afterwards that I need spike traps, no weapon traps...
Diggy diggy hole.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: September 06, 2010, 09:05:04 am »

My Captain of the Guard (a legendary swordsman+armor user+shield user+fighter+dodger clad in full-steel armor) dodged an arrow while standing on a 1-tile-wide bridge over the volcano mouth (yes, I love epic settings like that for battles)...

104 z-levels below, he discovered, in this order:
1. magma sea
2. Funmetal
3. 4 fire men, who attacked him immediately

He began hacking at them like a madman, all the while drowning and with the blood of his numerous kills boiling on his armor; 4 cuts, 4 flames snuffed... he drowned in the magma sea, his body unscathed by the heat, still enveloped by the vapors of his enemies' boiling blood...

epic or not?

Epic. Why is this not getting some love, people?
Holy crap, you should name a shrine to armok after him or something.

I recently finished my Pit, I never knew watching goblins being tossed down 10+zlevel heights and hitting the floor, bleeding all over, could be so fun. They often use one guy as a cushion, taking no damage but smashing their friend to a pulp.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: September 06, 2010, 09:17:42 am »

I just trashed the 90 weapon traps, and rebuilt them as spike traps... Now the painful task of linking them to a level...
Diggy diggy hole.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:34 am »

I just trashed the 90 weapon traps, and rebuilt them as spike traps... Now the painful task of linking them to a level...
Upright spear traps right?

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: September 06, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

Yes, that's what I mean.  :P 
Diggy diggy hole.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #5664 on: September 06, 2010, 10:18:44 am »

Sazirruthösh has fallen to a goblin ambush. Drat.

I should have realized it was cursed after my first expedition leader got his head chopped off by a kobold thief before the start of summer.

No matter! I'll play an adventurer for a bit so the gobbos leave, then I'll reclaim.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:22:50 am by Fishbreath »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:36 am »

Things are getting slow in staffrains, fourth year and now I'm paranoid because of the Goblin ambushes. It's gonna be a while till my on danger room is done and I can finish producing full steel, so the military still isn't enough to protect me as I build some above ground megaproject. I'm thinking a load of walls, a citadel and an execution/ceremonial tower atm for the invaders.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:05 am »

My first mood in 14 years since founding Helmssinges is a possessed child that made a gypsum mug.  Sweet.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: September 06, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »

Third fort turning into 1-3 FPS laghell now. I really hope Toady would do some work to separate CPU-expensive stuff to another independent process or thread to help lower the lag. Maybe some opportunistic path finding, for example. Or give others a chance to help and donate work to the project.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: September 06, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »

Well, a forgotten beast came and started destroying doors...in my magma pump stack.  Then it decided to hang out in the open space for a pump intake, getting more burned every time it pumped.  Self-destructive forgotten beasts, I love it.  I was really dreading having to send my militia in for this one, with it's "deadly dust."

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: September 06, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »

Third fort turning into 1-3 FPS laghell now. I really hope Toady would do some work to separate CPU-expensive stuff to another independent process or thread to help lower the lag. Maybe some opportunistic path finding, for example.
Likely, maybe just not yet...

Or give others a chance to help and donate work to the project.
Hmm I guess... never? With all the best intentions in the world, I guess voluntary collaboration could well mean a slow, inconclusive death for DF...
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 3842