Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128371 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5640 on: September 05, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »

It is far faster to actually build the wall with blocks, so even untrained masons throw walls up quickly

I've never seen masons put up walls faster when using blocks, mainly because I don't think their masonry skill has any effect on the speed of wall construction.
Your're right. SKill does not matter. But I can guarantee you that blocks do matter. It takes, in my experience, about a tenth of the time per segment.

I've never noticed. Even so, it doesn't change the fact that the process for producing blocks requires a large amount of space, time, and spare Dwarves. Blocks simply aren't worth it unless you have a large fortress and are capable of sparing Dwarves on block production.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Azhral

• Bay Watcher
  • Lets get Tactical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »

I've got myself the Unhappiest Hydra in the entire world.

Caught him in a cage trap, no idea what to do with him, so I stuck him under my waterfall in the dining room. 7/7 water being dumped on his head constantly.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »

My Captain of the Guard (a legendary swordsman+armor user+shield user+fighter+dodger clad in full-steel armor) dodged an arrow while standing on a 1-tile-wide bridge over the volcano mouth (yes, I love epic settings like that for battles)...

104 z-levels below, he discovered, in this order:
1. magma sea
2. Funmetal
3. 4 fire men, who attacked him immediately

He began hacking at them like a madman, all the while drowning and with the blood of his numerous kills boiling on his armor; 4 cuts, 4 flames snuffed... he drowned in the magma sea, his body unscathed by the heat, still enveloped by the vapors of his enemies' boiling blood...

epic or not?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: September 05, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

I collapsed a dark tower, which froze the game.
Hooray.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:40 pm »

Forgot to toggle off autocollect webs on the looms. Forgot to check exactly what type of webs were all over the floor.

On the down side, I lost two weavers before I caught on.

On the up side, I now have GCS inna cage.

On balance, I got the better end of the deal. Silk farm ahoy!
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:41 pm »

I'm in my second year and, despite a brief period where my entire population was digging in the dirt for vermin, my fort is now doing well. I embarked on a nice map with 2 waterfalls (only a couple of z-levels each) and plenty of wildlife (hippos, alligators, gorillas, carp, etc). I've started construction of a large surface tower, but at the moment it is just a ring-wall around the top of my main stairwell but when complete it should be pretty awesome. I have a lot of my main fort infrastructure complete including a complicated plumbing system with a large vertical water pipe running from just below the surface down about 10 z levels (it will go further in the end), and I also have a drainage pipe running parallel to it which goes even deeper, emptying into the first cavern layer.

This leads me on to my next problem. Somehow a carp got into the water shaft and it's now happily swimming around. It has direct access to my well (I can close that off but then I will run out of water) and I'm getting a bit worried. I will soon finish the needed plumbing to empty my water shaft into the drainage shaft so then I can remove it, but I am somewhat intrigued as to how much of a risk it is. Anyone know if I'm liable to have a massacre at the well or if I'm OK to use my plumbing as a fish-pond?

Edit: Nevermind. I ran a routine test of the drainage system and the carp was promptly thrown ~10 z-levels down into the drainage shaft then washed out into the caverns. It didn't survive. Now I also have a cavern with quite a lot of water sloshing about in it (more than it had before). Oh well, I know how to deal with any FB's who can't swim or fly.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:10:28 pm by UberNube »
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: September 05, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:41:37 pm by Golcondio »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: September 05, 2010, 08:56:50 pm »

Oh, and here's another story:
My mason was carving fortifications for magma forges. His upper lip fat somehow burned off.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: September 05, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »

Forgot to toggle off autocollect webs on the looms. Forgot to check exactly what type of webs were all over the floor.

On the down side, I lost two weavers before I caught on.

On the up side, I now have GCS inna cage.

On balance, I got the better end of the deal. Silk farm ahoy!

Turn captured gobbos into cocoons, then send in the military to kill 'em, then send in the weavers to get the silk. Beneficial to everyone but the spider and the gobbos.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: September 05, 2010, 10:56:12 pm »

A human diplomat got himself killed by an ambush, so now I'm getting human sieges.

Sadly, they just sit on the edge of the map, rather than coming down to where I can clean up the inevitable mess from my squads of legendary axe and hammer dwarves.  So there's a lot of mess outside now.

I really hope Toady fixes that soon.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: September 05, 2010, 10:59:21 pm »

Townbrush has actually been doing surprisingly well in the past few months. The Fortress has adapted to a much smaller group of Dwarves, so the industries have stabilized and we are actually making progress. I'm finally going to construct bedrooms for as many Dwarves as possible. For over 11 years they have all lived in the community dormitory and thrown their personal items across the fortress. Hopefully that will no longer necessary.

Part of what I can attribute to Townbrush's recent success is the lack of goiblin aggression. Ever since the failed siege, the Goblins haven't approached Townbrush. Perhaps they no longer consider the Fortress to be worth their trouble, though I know that is just wishful thinking. So I've begun preparing for their arrival. I'm going to use them to solve the Fortress's undead prisoner problem. Over the years Townbrush has accumulated a huge number of caged undead, and have no method of efficiently disposing of them. I've begun unloading them on the caravans, but I've figured out a more productive use for them. I'll place their cages outside the fortress walls, then link them to a single lever. Upon being pulled, the undead shall be released and will swarm towards the goblin horde. I don't expect them to kill them, as the local undead aren't to powerful. However in large numbers they may be able to wound several goblins. Either way, it helps to reduce clutter in the animal stockpile while at the same time helping to kill goblins, so I see no downside to this.

Despite the infamy Townbrush has gathered among the Dwarves, only one has actually perished in recent times. And that was because he was a moody dwarf that refused all our materials, despite it seeming like we had what he required. The only other thing worth noting is the Forgotten Beast issue. Many Forgotten Beast's have taken up residence in the caverns, though few have attacked. Most of them are just endlessly wandering through the flooded halls of the Fortress. Since these areas are currently inaccessible they pose no threat. However, these areas are slowly starting to drain. And as flood levels subside, I'm sure the beasts will head towards the fort. I just have to be ready for that.

EDIT: My brave Flesh Ball explorer that I flushed into the ocean years ago was killed by a zombie sea serpent. By this point I thought it was invincible. I'm a bit saddened by that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:13:12 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: September 05, 2010, 11:02:54 pm »

Turn captured gobbos into cocoons, then send in the military to kill 'em, then send in the weavers to get the silk. Beneficial to everyone but the spider and the gobbos.

And now I wonder what would eventually come out of the cocoon if you left it alone. I'm visualizing some sort of blasphemous goblin/butterfly hybrid. Thank you so much for that image.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: September 05, 2010, 11:17:39 pm »

blasphemous goblin/butterfly hybrid.

elf?
Nom nom nom

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: September 05, 2010, 11:48:08 pm »

I'm trying to make a moat instead of walls for a defense, with a strip 3 spaces wide for a gate. I'm trying to figue out how to flood that part and effectively draining the water.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:41 am »

Crap. That Zombie Sea Serpent is being very aggressive. My Guard Captain tried shooting at it from above, but then it swam up, grabbed his feet, and dragged him into the ocean. Then it tore off several of his limbs before he drowned to death. I like that Guard Captain to. He was actually doing well.

Still, I can't say I'm surprised. The Guard Captain is a position that almost always results in certain death. Makes me wonder why I keep equipping them in adamantine.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 3842