Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122146 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2009, 03:23:35 pm »

I started a second desert fortress yesterday and once again the aquifer is nowhere to be found.  But there are some empty murky pools around so I'm just waiting for some rain so I can drain one of them into a cistern.

Aside from that everything is going just fine.  No deaths yet.  I had a close call when I started running low on booze and my already thirsty glass maker went into a fey mood and I didn't even have a glass furnace set up yet.  But I acted quickly enough to fix all that so I ended up with a legendary glass maker, a glass scepter artifact and my booze stocks are filling up nicely.

I just finished my barracks and I'm about to start training some marksdwarves.  I would prefer sworddwarves but without water and no iron deposits discovered yet it's better to play it safe.  I'll start making some glass serrated disc traps for added protection.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2009, 06:12:26 pm »

Just started up a new fort in a terrifying forest with a major river running thru it. Scariest thing to happen so far is that I started ontop of hte frozen river. Managed to get the last dwarf off it just before it thawed. Now Im building a bridge across the river and starting my fort in the sheer cliff face on that side. :D.

Also aqua deer are awsome!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »

Lock him in his minuscule and completely unfurnished (except for a bed, chair and table, each marked as its respective room) room. He will either go insane, or starve or die by dehydration. When it's done, leave the body to stink up the place for the next noble.

I wasn't talking about killing (that's easy) but specifically dropping. I already have a regular drowning chamber (succesfully tested with traders and especially useless migrants) and the magma room should be finished soon, along with some spike-based traps.
I'm building this beautiful giant tower with rooms for at least 120 dwarves and a hollow central drop shaft/staircase and I really wan't to use it. I just can't think of a way to drop someone
-without making dust or at least with no dust entering the shaft
-preferably without too much work for reloading/rebuilding the trap
-with the dwarf who's being dropped triggering it himself (by lever or pressure plate)

I think I'll need to do some experiments on how cave-ins generate dust and how exactly it spreads. There must be some way of controlling dust... for SCIENCE!
If there's absolutely no other way, I will separate the drop shaft from the stairs with windows, like this

XXXXX
XWWWX
XW.WX
XWWWX
XXXXX

X=stairs
W=window
.=useless nobles fall here

You won't necessarily be able to drop them down a specific tile, but dropping using a bridge is quite easy.
Code: [Select]
←Main fortress
════════════════╗
+╞++++++++╡++++ó║
════════════════╝
Order them to pull the lever once. Dwarf pulls it, goes to do something else and is flung  when the retracting bridge opens. Note that you can use more than one bridge if you want to, as very fast or very slow dwarves may not be on the bridge 100 frames after pulling the lever.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2009, 08:44:04 pm »

One of my hammerdwarves just knocked a lizardman guard 45 tiles unto a wall, where he exploded. New personal best, sadly, hoping to get a good hit off a tall hill to break it.

I've finally decided I like Relentless Assault. It's not as hard as Dig Deeper, I may overlap Dig Deeper with RAs races. I'm constantly running off ambushes, but unlike regular goblin ambushes I get very little wealth. Mostly it's just copper blowdarts and leather loincloths. I still use them as the basis for my trade, just not until after I've decorated them up to be worth hundreds, if not thousands, of db.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »

Just started up a new fort in a terrifying forest with a major river running thru it. Scariest thing to happen so far is that I started ontop of hte frozen river. Managed to get the last dwarf off it just before it thawed. Now Im building a bridge across the river and starting my fort in the sheer cliff face on that side. :D.

Also aqua deer are awsome!

Aqua deer?

Anyways, I started work on the base of my tower and I barely had enough marble blocks to finish the outline of it plus the ramps. I'm making the trunk of it rectangular, but the base is circular. I'm not sure if i'll have the base hollow or completely solid.

I also need to find a way to make the cleanup from sieges a bit faster, heh.....

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 17, 2009, 03:30:50 am »

I just tried to kill my count consort via caged goblins.  She ran around for a bit before the goblins finally stopped looking for a way out and attacked her.  She murdered the both of them with her bare hands.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:59 am »

My "Rocky Spire" fort is developing apace.

When I first embarked there, I named my Lumberjack after myself (Blue Emu). Unfortunately, my namesake later encountered a named Fire Man. Courageously standing his ground in the middle of a forest fire, he managed to kill it with his Axe, but not before being set on fire by his opponent. Overcome by heat and pain, he collapsed unconcious into the flames and died a heroic and crispy death.

The event was recorded by our engravers:

... there's a bit of "artistic licence" in that engraving... Sackcunning was already dead by that point in the battle.
Never pet a burning dog.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2009, 06:45:55 am »

Hah, you people called me crazy when I embarked with a proficient miner/competent swimmer (well, you would have if I'd mentioned it), but guess who just fell in the ocean and survived thanks to my ingenious foresight? That's right, my miner. I am suddenly glad I'm paranoid on ocean maps. And that the only dwarf to have been in a position to drown is also the only one who can swim worth a damn.

In other news, preparations for my over-ocean fort are underway.

By the way, the miner/swimmer is going to be the one to excavate the bottom of the ocean to fill my underground lake.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2009, 06:52:55 am »

A baby just died in a trap, having been beaten half to death by her berserk mother and left to wander the halls, passing out every few seconds.

Someone with his legs broken for crimes was never aided and put to bed, and he went berserk. He was helpless to fend off the two champions and one recruit that destroyed him.

Half my nobles are insane or dead. The only ones left are non-demanding ones, but the hammerer is alive and healing her wounds.

For days I had two insane dwarves lying around in a 4/7 pool of water (it was a water source hooked to a well), and they just built up their swimming until the water got shallower and I built a ramp for them to seek their deaths elsewhere.

About half the fort's founders are dead, one having gone berserk and killed by his own girlfriend, also a founder. Half the surviving ones are unhappy or worse.

Meaning, even my badass founder wrestler/marksdwarf hybrid -- the one that wrestled a cougar in the fort's early days -- is finally breaking. You don't want to know how bad his girl's taking it. EDIT: Scratch that, now he's taking it a tiny bit worse than her for some reason. They're both on the edge of becoming miserable.

And a kid who got his arm broken by a berserk child made a boring artifact puzzlebox out of one cedar log. And then he named it after himself.

Bootlashes is dying, and it's hilarious.

(Weird thing is, in another version I had running at school, the fort actually cheered up by now, so it's definitely possible to save it. Something's gone wrong in this version of the fort, I guess. Maybe it needs more time.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:57:17 am by A-chana »

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 17, 2009, 07:00:58 am »

With that whole gravity-cancelling thing, I was frustrated like hell with aquifers, so I decided to try building on top of magma.

God dammit, how was I meant to find the magma pipe?  Exploratory mining?  To hell with that.  I ended up viewing the place with Virtual Fortress, which showed me that the location of the pipe was across the freakin' river from where my dwarves were set up.

When I finally got the bridge set up, four dwarves got eaten by a longnose gar on the way to the dig site!  IT'S A FISH!  STAY AWAY FROM THE RIVER!  YOU TARDS!  And this was when I still had only like, my original seven dwarves.

This story has a happy ending, comrades: I started a new fortress with a magma pipe (NO RIVER), and my early magma channeling projects have gone off without a hitch!  Pretty good for a first-timer, eh?  Once I get myself some bauxite, then everything dies.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 17, 2009, 07:01:37 am »

Building an arena with only six Dwarves in my seven-dwarf-hermit fort (I like to imagine the rest of the world has a terrible disease). I lost my woodcutter/carpenter to a failed mood. It's coming along nicely. Look at this nice pic here, detailing how it looks would take too long. The red highlighted hatches/channels are to be filled with magma. The blue highlighted ones with water. The four other hatches are to be holes in which the nasties can fall into a maze (to be designed) and drainage. The stockpile is an animal stockpile. The white highlighted tiles will contain floodgates, so the arena can be divided in parts. All hatches, floodgates and mechanisms are made from alunite, using Great Cthulu's Molten rocks mod, which makes it magma-safe. Each section of hatches will be able to be controlled separately or in combination with others. same goes for the floodgates. This from the control area the level above.

Statistics:

Built|Made|Needed in total
Floor Hatches: 131  |222 |248
Floodgates:    40   |40  |160
Mechanisms:    58   |61  |a lot

EDIT: Obviously, I forget the pic. And now Photobucket's acting strange. When everything's working, I'll post it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:10:34 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 17, 2009, 08:15:14 am »

I'm patiently waiting out a siege, can't be bothered to go out and kill off the silly orcs.... for whom I obviously need to refine my atomsmasher lures. Possibly by arranging pathing via a forbidden door.

Guess what shows up next?

"the giant cave spider queen Dungda Istronato Radirukla has come!"

Well, that's just great. That's just really great. All my spare haulers will probably be stuffed into blackmetal armour and handed masterwork obsidian swords and spears. There's a siege and a frightening megabeast right at the door, and the megabeast, at least, is not going to leave... Whyever did I decide Dig Deeper was a necessary part of the DF experience?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:28 am »

Orcs vs Giant Cave Spider Queen? The carnage should be awesome. Am I right in assuming that there should be mounds of valuable silk left over when the all the action is over?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 17, 2009, 11:22:31 am »

@Lemunde a while back: I wouldn't count on waiting for rain, a desert can go without rain for YEARS, and even then, it will dry up quickly.

Anyways, life continues in Silktrap....

Last spring or the one before, I had the elves arrive with thier usual load of cloth (geez, whats with these guys), and then moments later, a siege arrived. I thought the siege was going to maul the elves, actually, no, I WANTED them to maul the elves, but the elves were pratically running for the fort entrance as they were moving quicker than usual. My champions took the siege in stride, although they faced the worst hail of bullets bolts they have encountered so far. One of my champions took a hit to the arm (brown wound) and had to retreat briefly, but was right back onto the battlefield. They are all legendary wrestlers, hammerdwarves, and shield users and are right now in the game attaining legendary armor user, so I guess in the big hail of bolts, someone got a lucky hit, and even then, only a minor wound.

I also did some animal pitting on various levels of my bottomless pit and found my GCS!, and guess where he is? On the very same level where my bedrooms are! lol. I had actually penetrated slightly (but not breached) the chasm at that level, enough to have its wall smoothed from the other side. I'm glad I didn't breach it earlier, lol. I'm pretty sure this is my only GCS on this map, now I need to decide whether I want to capture and tame it or capture and keep it wild. I definetly want to set up a GCS silk farm.

Oh yea, I'm starting to have to deal with a potential catsplosion, but things are under control for now. If much more female cats get adopted, Armok is going to send one of the dwarves a self destruct code that will make them melt into cytoplasm.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:27:42 am by smjjames »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 17, 2009, 12:11:57 pm »

The western mine's started paying off; I've found bismuthinite, cassiterite, heliodore, kunzite, some brown gem I can't remember the name of, and nearly enough pitchblende to be useful for the Pointless Tower.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 3842