Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3693 3694 [3695] 3696 3697 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094077 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55410 on: August 31, 2020, 07:46:57 pm »

Turns out mix food is already set.

I have a extremely large food surplus. 400+ animals, mostly meat, but also plenty of egg-layers. Four 5x5 fields for the planters, and the seeds to plant them. Everything gets turned into elaborate meals or booze at the kitchen. Pretty much the only thing I have not got are bees. Even with only 13 booze I have 11,658 food sitting around. 305 barrels just isn't enough.

That's a lot 'o food. You have ~ 38 food / barrel

We've got only 2100 and 55 barrels & 70 rock/metal pots.
We have ~ 17 food / container

Sounds like you need more containers.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55411 on: August 31, 2020, 11:49:23 pm »

Turns out mix food is already set.

I have a extremely large food surplus. 400+ animals, mostly meat, but also plenty of egg-layers. Four 5x5 fields for the planters, and the seeds to plant them. Everything gets turned into elaborate meals or booze at the kitchen. Pretty much the only thing I have not got are bees. Even with only 13 booze I have 11,658 food sitting around. 305 barrels just isn't enough.

That's a lot 'o food. You have ~ 38 food / barrel

We've got only 2100 and 55 barrels & 70 rock/metal pots.
We have ~ 17 food / container

Sounds like you need more containers.
I doubled my carpenter's shops, and started a mass order for 150. I'll probably have to double again, and have the manager order another 200 barrels.

Especially since the Wildebeest, Reindeer, and Donkey herds need culling. There's also a minor rabbit-splosion to deal with. All that fat has to go somewhere...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55412 on: September 01, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »

Decided to give Vettlingr's tileset a go, and threw a few mods on top and... Good god.

Using Monstrous Manual, I embarked as some humans. And I don't think I've ever had a worse group of people as an embark crew.

Mudung, Axeorc. A half orc elected to lead the militia as he's one of the few people with his head on straight. He's also afoul-tempered ingrate that has terrible analytical abilities.

Buqui, Half-dragon Swordsman. He can be best described as "Chungus the Red," a fat, driveless poonhound with a tendency to hold a grudge.

Asri, Hammerwoman. An impressive physical specimen, and a soldier because of it. However she is also single-minded, dislikes violence, and possessed of terrible intuition, along with a shared tendency to hold a grudge like Buqui. Curiously, she also likes lizards and is of a similar lustful disposition.

Edri, the Woodcutter. Stubborn, loud-mouthed, overly serious in disposition, distrustful of others, depressive, given to flights of fancy and has a tendency to be extremely ungrateful when people do her favors.

Cudal, the Metalcrafter. Egotistical and lazy on top of being an abysmal example of the baseline human species being weak of muscle, will, and wit.

Orid, the Weapon and Armorsmith. Ambitious but unfriendly, impulsive, overly serious, closed-minded and easily angered.

The only one who is even remotely a nice person is the Miner, Erthok, and even then while able to handle stress better than the others she is very passive, slovenly, and a touch air-headed.

I don't think I have ever, to my memory, had a more unlikable group of people for an embark party.

Anyway, given the belligerent and nature-hating disposition, these folk have been sent north to monitor the situation on the northern front with one of the elf civs that these humans managed to anger. Possibly as punishment for being shitty human beings.

EDIT: Evidently even the game thought these were terrible people, as once I finished my embark preparations, the game crashed.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55413 on: September 01, 2020, 04:42:02 pm »

Bridgehammers jurisprudence has finally confirmed that transforming into a werebeast removes a criminals prison sentence. "Imec Islasromic", Human Dancer, had 220 days in prison as his current sentence; he had also two crimes (both espionage) listed in the justice status screen. After transforming into a weremonkey, the justice status screen listed him as "Imec Islasromic", Weremonkey Dancer, and it also noted the two cases of espionage, but the sentence was gone: "No sentence pending". When he transformed back, the sentence was still gone and the crimes were still listed.

I guess I'm going to file a bug report if there isn't one yet, but I have not been able to find one yet.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55414 on: September 01, 2020, 10:22:05 pm »

I've got a nice little fort going, in a reanimating tundra.

There's no trees up on the surface, so I've been staging expeditions into the caverns for mushroom wood. Any beasts that wander in from the nameless depths, I have to put down somehow-- that means hammerdwarves, and lots of them.

This state of affairs was working out for me just fine, until Dastot the elephant spider lumbered into my purview! Knowing better than to throw melee dwarves at a web-slinger, I ordered the gates locked against Dastot's rampage; the fortress gate drew shut, and the blood of cavern fauna spattered the mossy passageways.

Months passed, as the corpses of cavern-critters littered the tunnels-- sometimes, getting up again for another go. Dastot's injuries accumulated, chitin fractures from the occasional giant cave spiders that emerged to meet web with web. So it went, and Dastot's presence faded to a dull worry at the back of my mind… until one day, a second beast emerged to challenge him! Ngogno Soilcaves, a gigantic newt with a throat full of fiery phlegm! The two dueled, and the spider-- weakened from its injuries, and unable to maintain its sticky onslaught in the blaze-- bled to death, and smoldered away.

This, then, is the stage of combat. No dwarf can best a spider in close combat on open ground… but fire, fire can be deflected, outmaneuvered! I see my chance. I select two squads of three, legends in their craft, and send them down to reclaim the caverns.
The cavern erupts in flames. A hammerdwarf is caught in the ignescent undergrowth, and melts.

A second hammerdwarf is caught in the blaze after a couple futile strikes against Ngogno, and stands there, immobile in the flames as the beast swings at her-- again and again she dodges, effortless despite the fire--

The heat grows intolerable-- the ale boils from her waterskin--

--and the fire shifts, and she starts swinging again.

She's standing in a pool of her own blood

pummeling the beast to a standstill.

She just... holds it there. Prone in its own fire, bleeding with her.
It dies first.

She staggers back to the staircase, her body melting. Blood on the bridge.

Might as well be a death toll

but then

The wounds close

she carries on

and a name echoes triumphant up the gabbro stair.

(It is a silly name.)

Having slain the beast, Asmel marches shakily off to go haul flux for the steelworkers... deeming this ill work for a returning champion, I disable the pertinent labors and cancel the job.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:39:51 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55415 on: September 02, 2020, 03:39:58 am »

That is definitely one of the most legendary fights I've ever heard of.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55416 on: September 02, 2020, 08:01:47 am »

Epic battle, may Armok bless Asmel continually.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55417 on: September 02, 2020, 02:33:38 pm »

That's impressive. I had a fire breathing bird and a fire-based blob that breaths fire both recently, and they each took out five or so dwarves. Dwarves couldn't fight the blob, because just being in melee range took away their capacity to act/path, and for some stupid reason the rangers also would not shoot their crossbows. I ended up disabling temperature just to allow the fights to commence.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55418 on: September 02, 2020, 03:57:40 pm »

That was a fine battle...

I always attempt to fight fire-beasts on stony ground and in large rooms. There is already too much risk of a dwarf being set on fire and smothering other dwarfs, to allow ground vegetation to also contribute smoke.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55419 on: September 02, 2020, 05:52:13 pm »

Nice reanimating tundra fort! I've been wanting to do one too but I get kicked to the curb before I can do anything. What I learned from my encounter with fiery fiends is you better have a huge firing squad armed with crossbows just to be sure. I am amazed at how your dwarf is still alive after getting burned. An idea for a nickname, maybe.

Also, since I am back for a few days, let me just update what I was up to: Recently came back to my oldest fort, great old Tradesiege from a long rest (you might notice I haven't posted in a while).

Basically, where I left was that I noticed I had messed up my waterfall setup: By draining some water from the river to create my waterfall which falls down to the first cavern and pours out of 3 passages dug from a rock (which I aptly named "The Bleeding Pillar"), there wasn't enough water to run my whole cart setups and I wondered why everything went so slow... Oh well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I undid this by quickly (i.e. a few months) loading a backup and this time making sure the water entrance is far away from the waterwheels. Also found my new candybar again. I was busy constructing a path for magma to power forges and such below the third cavern, but then, fate struck it all down in a rather odd manner for my 7 year old fort:

No circus, no goblins (that I believe never achieved to even land on my souther continent I had on my own), no elven caravans (since I highly likely angered most of them by never really trading anything in return... I know, not much 'Trade' in this 'Tradesiege') and most of the wildlife was just a joke. Most of my dwarves have become well-trained fighters at this point up to where a random unarmed fisherman would beat and supplex a cave croc into submission just for cathartic release.

No, I talk of a greater evil...

To keep it as canon and ooc-less as possible, I believe a hidden cult dedicated to the arts of dark magic, possibly guided under a hidden deity going by the name of Rol-Ex have been messing with the fabric of time and space. As well hidden as they are, no one seems to have taken notice in time and so, one of the greatest magical mishaps breaking the fabric of time occurred in a ritual gone horribly gone wrong. As such, the realm of Nishzokun stays frozen in time until the hidden deities of this land can mend what is now broken.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:48:38 pm by Shdorsh »

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55420 on: September 03, 2020, 02:18:53 am »

Started playing the newest version, it's been probably a year or two since I last spent much time playing, and only my second go at playing a version after 0.34.11.
Temples, Taverns, etc. are still very new to me, as is juggling the new needs and stress system.

My fortress was going fairly well for the first 3 years or so, but, around year three, I noticed a handful of my dwarves were stressed, and many were unfocused. Looking into their brains, it seems they hadn't been using the various temples I set up for them (one for every deity with more than 10 worshippers in the fort.) Many were upset about the lack of abstract thought, despite my well-stocked library with scholars to talk to. Some were upset about lack of socializing and food quality, despite a huge dining hall full of bards and poets, instruments, booze, and masterwork roasts of various sorts. Most of them in farming, military, etc. industries were upset because they hadn't practiced a craft.

Apparently, dwarves won't pray, or read, or socialize, unless they would have "No Job" otherwise. Even if it is driving them to the point of tantrums. Well, that's rather annoying. Lesson learned, I suppose.
(I honestly want the "On break" feature, or something similar, to be added back, so I don't have to micromanage to make sure every dwarf has the time to take care of their basic needs... I've tried making a vacation burrow, it didn't work -- they just spammed me about job cancellations from things being outside the burrow for several consecutive months, instead of taking care of their non-work needs, all of which had solutions that were within the burrow.)

This learning experience has lead to the husband of my champion throwing tantrums, getting arrested, sitting in a cell for 100+ days at a time, then throwing another tantrum. A few other dwarves are very high stress now too, after he murdered someone in the central staircase. They haven't started tantruming. (yet)

Well... I haven't had a tantrum spiral in a while, might be Fun to watch how this plays out... My money is on the fort's champion/hammerer being the last woman standing.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55421 on: September 03, 2020, 02:58:41 am »

You're not gonna get a real tantrum spiral in this version. At some point your champ's husband will pick a fight with somebody in armor and then he dies and half your problem goes away.

As for the rest, you're trying too hard. God-specific temples are flavor-text. A generic temple with no decorations will work fine for all prayer purposes, so if they're not going to your 2x2 undecorated rock temple they ain't gonna show up to your 11x11 palace. Also, the way locations work you may be able to use the same physical space for multiple temples. I know that when I accidentally designated a temple space for the wrong God, and then re-designated for the new guy both temples stayed active in locations with the exact same value.

Just make a stress reduction suite with a book-case, two books (ie: a library), a table and chair, a bed, a 1x1 temple space, and some food/booze, burrow your champ's husband in there, and then then lock the door behind his ass. He'll have no choice but to pray/read/whatever he needs. And if he tantrums again he can't kill anybody. It might be helpful for you to designate some stone in their for smoothing/engraving after he's come in, as a lot of bad dorfy-thoughts relate to them not having practiced a craft in awhile.

You're actually doing about average. My pop ballooned to 185ish, and there was always somebody who was on the stressed-destroyed-something-arrested-higher-stressed bandwagon. I ended up exiling one of them to see what that did, and he went away and never came back. It helped for a little while, but not forever. Somebody was always twitchy.

Especially if your corpse clean-up game isn't on point. They don't mind killing kobold thieves on sight, but make damn sure that corpse isn't in a stairway where everyone has to see it.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55422 on: September 03, 2020, 04:13:48 am »

Yeah, The specific temples seemed not to accomplish anything (at least if they weren't petitioned for; filling the petition seems to at least give a happy thought?)
Most of the dwarves are doing fine, honestly, some are a bit unfocused, but I've got most of them assigned a craft skill now, and occasionally shut down some of the workshops to give them a break, and it seems to have prevented any new major stress problems from cropping up, despite the large pile of dead goblins I had to clean up this spring, and the murderous dwarf. I was hoping to expel him, but I'm worried his wife and children (who are significant to this fort) would go with him.
I'm mostly just frustrated with the degree of micromanagment involved in keeping their needs met if their role in the fort doesn't offer a lot of time with no assigned jobs or 'craft' tasks
The spiral never really took off, though. A couple dwarves are upset after the murder, but, mostly, everyone seems fine. I disabled a bunch of workshops and locked some doors and everyone took a few days to socialize and wander around in the temples and such, which seemed to calm everyone's nerves. I also gave a bunch of dwarves some rarely used (in this fort, anyway) craft skills or stone detailing after and set some jobs up for those to try to deal with some of the craft needs. It's kind of annoying to have to babysit them this much to make sure they get breaks, but seem to have stabilized a bit, at least.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55423 on: September 03, 2020, 09:55:39 am »

The trouble I've had with locking dwarves in little stress-boxes is, they wind up standing around for ages trying to "Attend Meeting"... any potential need-filling time kinda goes down the drain, unless you lock the mayor in with them or whatever.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55424 on: September 03, 2020, 02:48:59 pm »

You can make a nice long hallway for [the mayor's] office and make adjacent prison/stress cells behind locked doors. All part of the same room, the mayor can talk to all of the prisoners.

[Edit for clarity]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:32:46 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3693 3694 [3695] 3696 3697 ... 3842