Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3692 3693 [3694] 3695 3696 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093650 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55395 on: August 25, 2020, 09:02:20 pm »

I just cracked up laughing and had to share this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S.  Still working on the Night's Wolfs' final solution, although about 20 of them tried to enter the fort and the squads training outdoors slaughtered them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:04:29 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55396 on: August 26, 2020, 06:05:06 am »

The only way to make this even more funny would be the necromancer reanimating his own tongue.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55397 on: August 26, 2020, 12:26:55 pm »

Another day in dwarfen law enforcement for Udil Nishlushôn, captain of Bridgehammer's guard. Another interogation, another criminal revealing his true idendity and intentions.

Time to get you chained, "Imec Islasrosmic" or whatever your name is, you...

... WEREMONKEY DANCER?

Let's check the announcements...

...oh. Oh! Well, I guess "Imec" has been apprehended just in time.

Now the strange thing about dwarfen justice is that it seems to pardon werebeast criminals. I did not look at Imec's file before he became a weremonkey or while he was in werebeast form, but after his transformation back into human form, his sentence was gone.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55398 on: August 26, 2020, 12:33:46 pm »

I just cracked up laughing and had to share this.

P.S.  Still working on the Night's Wolfs' final solution, although about 20 of them tried to enter the fort and the squads training outdoors slaughtered them.

They made a movie about this once.

https://youtu.be/4rgo4yeC3C4?t=341
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55399 on: August 28, 2020, 05:37:21 pm »

Still having a barrels problem every winter. I am down to 4 booze in a fort of 185 dorfs, built a barrel, had the brewer start the job and take it to the still; and then he declared he couldn't brew anything because he lacks food storage items. The barrel has been dubbed "barrel #31," so apparently while the brewer was moving it the game decided to fill it with something else. Dudes, I have 220 barrels, you can use the new ones for booze.

This isn't really life and death as I managed to turn the aquifer into a water source. But it's still a pain.

The Ice tower in the ocean has been going uneventfully otherwise. I got a smallish tower 10 z-levels above the waves, and am now working on a 40x40 tower. The below the water bit is done, and water-tight. The above the waves bit is up to three stories, and I'm hoping for another couple before the thaw.

Anybody got a solution to the barrel problem? Beyond building 100 more barrels? I probably could, but I don't want to start now because  that would take a lot of labor away from the Ice tower and there's only about 4 months of the year when I can mine the ocean and get ice boulders.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55400 on: August 28, 2020, 06:31:11 pm »

I mean I undesignate all barrels for storage if I have to.  Im almost positive you can set a stockpile to not accept barrels and theres an option in the ini to manage aggressive barrel storage.

I also believe you can never have too many barrels.  Or buckets.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55401 on: August 28, 2020, 07:55:04 pm »

I mean I undesignate all barrels for storage if I have to.  Im almost positive you can set a stockpile to not accept barrels and theres an option in the ini to manage aggressive barrel storage.

I tried micromanaging by forbidding them as soon as they were made, that works sometimes.

I think I've got more barrels than food at the moment, so the next 10 or so should only be able to be for booze.

I also believe you can never have too many barrels.  Or buckets.

Worst of all worlds: too few of both.

Nobody can drink booze, and the "give water" jobs all fail because there's no bucket...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55402 on: August 28, 2020, 10:18:05 pm »

Three plans for eradicating the Night's Wolfs:
1. Moved barracks outside and increased training time for my 4 half-squads to get them over their puking (about 1/2 way to that goal now). Then mount an overland sortie to fight it out to the death.
2. Cave in the mountainside from underneath where the Night's Wolfs are clustered. But I've never done that before.
3. Make a wall around the Night's Wolfs, then pour magma out of the hillside above them into their walled area. Use the abovementioned squads as guards during construction.
Nixed 2. due to complexity of them swarming on 3 different z-levels.
Nixed 3. because they are swarming from the map-edge inward about 7 tiles... can't build near edge.
Tried 4. (build underground entrance next to the swarm to lure them in a magma trap) but they didn't take the bait.
Performed 1. flawlessly and they're all bits and pieces now  :)

Posted by: nickbii
Would standing orders to "mix food" help reduce barrel usage?  I've never encountered the problem you're seeing and have tons of varieties of foods, plants, booze.  I keep "mix food" set. It may have drawbacks when one dwarf is using a barrel for a job, but it doesn't seem bad at all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:19:44 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55403 on: August 29, 2020, 05:19:58 am »

Not that it matters much now that your military has dealt with them, but to get around the building close to the edge restriction for walls, you can build raising bridges right on the map edge.  More work with the mechanisms and lever, but it'll get you a 1-Z barrier right at the edge tile if you need it.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55404 on: August 29, 2020, 06:08:49 am »

Not that it matters much now that your military has dealt with them, but to get around the building close to the edge restriction for walls, you can build raising bridges right on the map edge.  More work with the mechanisms and lever, but it'll get you a 1-Z barrier right at the edge tile if you need it.
Yeah, I'd heard of that but wanted to respect that edge restriction.  ;)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55405 on: August 30, 2020, 11:13:08 pm »

Having developed Whisperorb to the Point of attaining Mountainhome Status, We turned Our Attention to a Generated Fortress of Our chosen Civ which had fallen to a Roc.

Our first Impression was that the Dwarfs had no Sense of Priorities and even less Knowledge of Location.

Simply stated, the only possible Excuse to even consider founding anything here is the Presence of shallow Magnetite.

This would be of greater Value if there was a Supply of Fuel.  Or Vegetation.  Or a Water Source outside the Caverns.

We decided to channel into the Magma Sea to power a Magma Smelter, and We received the following Announcement:

Raw (Candy)!  Praise the Miners!

The Dwarfen Monarch is coming, and We can't accommodate them.

We only hope We get enough Ex-Military Dwarfs to confidently send them off to conquer a small Dark Pit or the Like.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55406 on: August 31, 2020, 10:47:27 am »

We convicted a human scholar of two cases of espionage (after his confession) and chained him in a cell.

I sent 3 different military dwarfs to the cell to kill him, but they would not do it.  One of these dwarfs had earlier killed a human prisoner when asked, so this surprised me a little bit.

A few weeks later one of our stray dogs attacked the human in his cell and continued biting him until unconcious.  The dog, getting tired itself and having lost some teeth from chewing on the guy's skull, continued to gnaw on the unconscious, chained prisoner's head an neck, tearing him up until he died.

The dog gained a name... I had to watch, fascinated.  You can't make this stuff up.

DWARVEN JUSTICE... DOGGIE STYLE.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55407 on: August 31, 2020, 02:35:09 pm »

What name did the dog get?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55408 on: August 31, 2020, 02:40:06 pm »

What name did the dog get?
Just the name in the picture, the English translation is "Dancedstockade", which unfortuately doesn't relate to the brutal story.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55409 on: August 31, 2020, 07:35:35 pm »

Posted by: nickbii
Would standing orders to "mix food" help reduce barrel usage?  I've never encountered the problem you're seeing and have tons of varieties of foods, plants, booze.  I keep "mix food" set. It may have drawbacks when one dwarf is using a barrel for a job, but it doesn't seem bad at all.
Turns out mix food is already set.

I have a extremely large food surplus. 400+ animals, mostly meat, but also plenty of egg-layers. Four 5x5 fields for the planters, and the seeds to plant them. Everything gets turned into elaborate meals or booze at the kitchen. Pretty much the only thing I have not got are bees. Even with only 13 booze I have 11,658 food sitting around. 305 barrels just isn't enough.
Pages: 1 ... 3692 3693 [3694] 3695 3696 ... 3842