Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129308 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5475 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:19 pm »

My latest fortress has been surprisingly uneventful.  Not a single goblin ambush in over 4 years.  I've been focusing on projects to keep my dwarves happy.  My 10 axe dwarves each have their own 3x3 rooms built in an above ground apartment complex furnished with rose gold cabinets and chests and clear glass statues.  I have a pit underground with walls of clear glass windows that I turned into a makeshift zoo with a variety of lions, leopards, apes and monkeys.  There's also a nearby aquifer that I might try to turn into a waterfall.

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: August 31, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

I finally managed to recover from the goblins-o-doom I mentioned earlier by recruiting most of the new wave of immigrants. I imagine the process went something like "Hello and welcome to Athelfeb Zocukurdim. My name is Urist McCaptain, here's your armor and here's your axe/crossbow/warhammer."

Also, my guard captain checked herself out of the hospital with her right lower arm and lower body in the yellow, and her left lower arm cut open. She's blinking a yellow cross and still leading a dodging demonstration. It says in her profile that she likes weapon racks and creeping eyes, and is not easily moved to pity. That's one dwarf you don't want to mess with.

EDIT: Oh, now she's gone on to lead a fighting demonstration.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:55:36 pm by Hertzyscowicz »

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:56 pm »

We're trying to get the mountainhome liaison to import as much iron as they can, as unfortunately it's the one resource we're really lacking.

Chased off a couple snatchers, and as winter fell on our third year a group of goblin bowmen attempted to sneak into the fortress. They were dispatched with little incident. Not much iron on them alas, just lots of random clothing.

Trying to decide what to do with the first set of caverns - it is far more vertical than horizontal, and thus not very navigable or useful. May just leave them sealed off forever, or send in occasional expeditions to collect gems.

Population is approaching 80, but we haven't had many migrants of late. Not sure what's keeping them away as things are peaceful and prosperous. Ah well. There's more than enough labor about and we're busy remodeling the main defensive corridor that allows caravans safely into the fortress.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: August 31, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

I just had a wagon take an entire season to get from the edge of the field to my Trade Depot. By the time it got there, the other traders were like "Oh shit, gotta go" and they tore out of there without letting me trade, with the slow wagon taking another season to leave.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Mayara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:50 pm »

First fort in 2010 is going ok I guess. season and a half and no sieges but then theres the alligator that likes to just pop up and eat a random dwarf lost 3 that way and one trapper to a strange mood and had no idea what type of workshop he needed. My 1 dwarf army punched his head off.  Brewing booze and repeatedly caging the random cats that are born to avoid a catsplosion. Free food and the Military Dwarf has Cat Leather Armor. :)

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:51 pm »

My baron, who was part of the first migration and actually an invaluable dwarf (Also served as broker and book-keeper) just went insane (Thankfully not berserk). This leave me with no broker of any skill at the moment, and the dwarf caravan just arrived :O

Funniest part, his wife has been layed up in hospital for 6 years with a broken foot, but other than that he had no reason to go mad. He was ecstatic :/

F***ing nobles.
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:44 pm »

Funniest part, his wife has been layed up in hospital for 6 years with a broken foot, but other than that he had no reason to go mad. He was ecstatic :/
Maybe her foot healed?
Nom nom nom

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: August 31, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »

Ah, I have at last completed my F.O.X. Magma pump System! It consists of 2 logical Stack groups: MagStack and PrimeStack.

PrimeStack is simple, it reaches from a reservoir to the FOX Head mouth and is designed with dual pump stations at each level. The top level is off set such that it moves magma over a barrier designed to eliminate backflow in the stack (during malfunctions or after stopping the flow.) It is colorized in Obsidian and Hematite.

MagStack is much the same, except the dual pumps per layer are separated by quite a bit and thus require additional gear assemblies for power distribution. These also implement have an offset top layer. They are colorized in Alunite and move from the volcano ground floor up to the reservoir.

I've also (over)engineered several safety features, including:
1. Independently operated FloorHatches over the volcano ground MagStack input.
2. Anti-Magma Man Barrier walls (They cannot get over the system except through the inputs. I plan to add cage traps on each of the magma containment spaces to minimize potential damage.
3. PrimeStack and MagStack are independently operated. This also allows for me to later add a WaterStack that empties into the reservoir, giving PrimeStack a dual purpose and perhaps speeding up the cleanup outside.

Two additional floors above provide power routing and windmill powerhouses. Total Power consumed at full operation: 307. Total Power Generated: 360. Not the most complex or intensive device ever, but it is for me personally.  :D

Large, Labeled .GIF of the F.O.X. System
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I have no more excuses for not designing and building the rest of the fox face...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: August 31, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »

Well, I think I just fucked up Townbrush beyond repair.

While I was playing, my FPS suddenly began to slow down. I thought the game had froze, but I noticed it was very slowly progressing. What I saw confused me. The blue ocean tiles were being replaced by light blue dotted tile. I wondered what was hapening. Was the ocean freezing? That would be impossible, since it has never frozen before. Was it a glitch? Maybe.....and then it hit me. I feared I had made a horrible mistake. I viewed the swimming chamber, and found that my fears were correct. The ocean was pouring into my fortress. I thought I had removed the designation for the ocean to be pierced, but I was wrong. The lever to control the floodgate is submerged under 7/7 water. There's no way to reach it. A torrent of water is rushing through the deep roads of Townbrush. And I think it may destroy everything bellow the ocean. The deep roads currently flooding with water reach from the underground farms down to the abyss. Nothing is safe. The water will eventually engulf everything, ending at the great magma sea.

So I'm pretty much panicking right now. My first thought was to come up with a way to evacuate the farms. Turns out I'm to late. The water is flooding in at an alarming rate. The farms are already completley submerged, along with many of the tunnels. It hasn't flooded to first cavern layer yet, but it's already made it's way down to the dark lake in the second cavern, meaning that stopping the flood is impossible. The log doesn't report any dwarves drowning, so the workers may still be alive. They probably had the common sense to run from the wave of destruction. But they can only run so far. But if my diggers are still alive, they might be able to save the dwarves. I'm going to try digging a tunnel to the surface from the abyss. If the diggers work quickly, they might be able to reach the surface before the water floods the escape route. Then I'll just have to hope the Dwarves fleeing from the water go up rather than down into the adamantine mines or magma sea.

But even if I can save the workers, I don't think Townbrush will be able to continue with the caverns flooded.

EDIT: Here's a comparison picture to show just how much I messed up.

Spoiler: The Ocean before (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ocean after (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:42:22 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: August 31, 2010, 06:56:42 pm »

"Single arch" has been doing pretty well. We finally got a few ambush's after many peaceful years. Now for the fun. An elk bird managed to make its way out of the cavern and into my main civil district while I was out getting some dinner. When I came back the bitch had already killed 2 dwarves and a child. The elk bird was dead too. After that we had a small problem with a GCS. My first. I wanted to try and leave it alone so I could trap it, but one of my soldiers decided he wanted the armor from one of it's previous victims. So down he went to pick up the gear, right next to the spider. I didn't want him to die so i sent my soldiers down there after him. They killed it but we also lost three more dwarves. Another dwarf decided to stand across the river from a goblin archer and get hit instead of just running away. The goblin walked into a cage trap and the dwarf is just laying there bleeding out. It starting to look like the reason these dwarves left the mountainhomes is because they failed an iq test or something. Not the smartest bunch I've worked with. The only other problem I'm having is that there are no plants growing underground so I can't get my dwarves off the surface completely yet. My last fort had trees growing underground everywhere. I need that to happen here too.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

A rather bizarre discovery... if in a Haunted zone, building a large tower with lots of fortifications will result in a swarm of bats. I've never seen anything quite like it. Laboredanus has now turned into Castlevania.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: August 31, 2010, 07:02:11 pm »

My bloody pits in the ground always have swarms of roaches and flies.... I wish I had bats.
Nom nom nom

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »

I'm watching a herd of unicorns try as hard as they can to get across the bridge, and off of the (Almost) island they entered the region on. They keep getting scared by my hairy dwarf-monsters, and running away. Two made it off, but they came back for their friend, and now they're all stuck... If only I could hurry up those cage traps...

Unicorn cancels Frolic: Interrupted by ugliness.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: August 31, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »

Well Townbrush isn't completely hopeless. In a stroke of luck, it turns out the road to the Abyss is dug in a way that prevents the water from flooding into the abyss itself, or at least not a the moment. This means I might be able to save one of the cavern layers if I'm careful. Though any hope of saving the workers from the flood is gone. Most of them couldn't run fast enough and we're caught in the surge of water. There are only two known survivors.

The first is the digger KaveKa, who is one of the only named Dwarves left. I'm glad to see he is still alive since he's been a legendary digger for a long time. He barely survived the flood. He was digging out a new passage on the first cavern layer to allow quicker access for the military when the water began pouring in. I ordered him to construct a barricade to prevent the water from reaching him. It was completed just in time, has the water has just reached his location. Hopefully he can dig himself out of the cavern. The second is the legendary Engraver Rigoth. She used to be a soldier, in fact she was the one who struck down Epslo. She had to retire because of injuries she sustained. I've ordered her to construct a blockade around the flooded tunnels to be safe, but she has yet to do so. She continue to engrave the walls, despite having stone detailing turned off. The entire fate of the fort may rest on her right now, so I hope she comes to her senses.

If the Abyss isn't flooded, I can establish a farm down there. Then I can continue to harvest underground crops and trees. So things aren't as hopeless as I thought. Still, between the mass death and decreasing FPS, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

EDIT: Nevermind. There's no hope. Rigoth wasn't quick enough, and now the Abyss is flooding.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:31:38 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5489 on: August 31, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »

wow...
you should write a story about that... 2 lone survors, their home underwater, must now SURVIVE.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 3842