Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129908 times)

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5340 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »

Woah.... I just got an artifact worth more than 5 million...

Weaponsmith went secretive and grabbed adamantine, I hope for a sword or a spear but end up with a serrated disc. Not quite what I wanted, but its a HELL of alot nicer than a damn toy axe xD
Now gobbos will get a taste of epic disc!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:04 pm »

No new Foxes (a couple grew up) as my frame rate continues its swan dive.

Learned a very important lesson about the pump-stack design available on the wiki today. It's designed with digging in mind. I am building a pump stack as part of an elaborate suspended construction using walls and floors. Power does not want to transfer from one pump level to the other through the floor. Worse yet, I removed the construction (floor) tile beneath the appropriate side of the higher pumps and ensured it aligned with the proper part of the lower level pump. Still no power transfer (but I have a hanging pump now?)

Anyone build a pump stack using floors and walls instead of digging before that might be able to help me out? Am I just going to have to create some gear assemblage running 'round them? Do gear assemblies block intakes like stairs or anything?

Also, does anyone else crash when you save? Mine game crashes, although the save goes through just fine and loads up again fine. Been happening for a couple days now and it's starting to get bothersome.

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:50 pm »

No new Foxes (a couple grew up) as my frame rate continues its swan dive.

Learned a very important lesson about the pump-stack design available on the wiki today. It's designed with digging in mind. I am building a pump stack as part of an elaborate suspended construction using walls and floors. Power does not want to transfer from one pump level to the other through the floor. Worse yet, I removed the construction (floor) tile beneath the appropriate side of the higher pumps and ensured it aligned with the proper part of the lower level pump. Still no power transfer (but I have a hanging pump now?)

Anyone build a pump stack using floors and walls instead of digging before that might be able to help me out? Am I just going to have to create some gear assemblage running 'round them? Do gear assemblies block intakes like stairs or anything?

Also, does anyone else crash when you save? Mine game crashes, although the save goes through just fine and loads up again fine. Been happening for a couple days now and it's starting to get bothersome.

I use both digging and constructions in my pump stacks.
I base my design like that on the wiki, primarily being the alternation of open and closed tiles so as to allow power transfer. stairs are tacked on the side on an as-needed basis.

Ill attempt a bit of a diagram here....

Floor 1

O O O O O
O # O % O
O X # # O
O # O % O
O # 8 # O
O O O O O

Floor 2

O O O O O
O # 8 # O
O X O % O
O # # # O
O # O % O
O O O O O

O=Walls    #=floors
%= Open Space   8= Door
X= Stairs
In this example, floor one pumps to the south, and floor 2 pumps to the north. You alternate these however many floors you need

As to gears blocking pumps...
I know that they dont block water coming out.... Ive had a ton of cases where areas have flooded as a result of it.
I dont think they block intake either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:47:05 pm by MechaGodzilla »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:49 pm »

Nothing that interesting, other then my dining room is being smoothed and I just got a whopping 23 migrants(Not exact), raising my population from about 17 or so to 40.
One(a soap maker) came in a strange mood for some reason.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:57 pm »

Further construction on the radiating observation tower, construction of an underground "outdoors" farming space, a hell of a lot of traps and the royal death sleeping chambers.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: August 26, 2010, 11:52:09 pm »

I built an aboveground pump stack, though it was in the older version. I followed the guide on the wiki with regards to the flooring, and everything seemed to work fine. I had it powered by a single windmill on top, and used 2 pumps and no gears. It was apparently a windy map since I only get 10 power from windmills on my current map.

Good luck with the foxes. :D

The "Illustrated side view of a pump stack" shows a stack like the one I made.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Screw_pump
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:50:59 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:15 pm »

I love seasonal freezing.  When you use a stream/brook/whatever, having the ability to turn it completely off once a year comes in helpful.

Apparently my moat has a hole in it.  Right over the area my miners are farming stone.  Winter just ended so I have to wait most of a year, but I think we'll be okay.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: August 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am »

My "c" screen tells me there is an unnamed bat man civ beneath my feet. must go find them and thier mayor west
This is a blank sig.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: August 27, 2010, 01:25:49 am »

The fortress "workedwasp" has fallen to a human siege. Supplies were running low so I had to make a move. I positioned my troops just beyond the caged entrance corridor and lowered the drawbridge. The humans leisurely strolled through all my traps, killed my troops effortlessly, and then killed everyone else. I really wasn't expecting them all to get past the cage traps. I thought at most 3 or 4 would only get through. I'll have to remember that for next time.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:04 am »

Let's see i found a cavern layer (not sure which one) and had a forgotten beast wonder in to it at the same time a goblin siege arrived (they were the first goblins on the map and now they are boxing bags for my army) i am currently trying to find a safe way to breach the cavern layer and catch the forgotten beast.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:54 am »

Oh tragedy! Our beloved mayor has died! For some reason, he was standing on a microline bridge when it was order to be to deconstructed. He plummeted into the magma bellow, dying nearly instantly. The Fortress shall mourn his lose. We shall always remember his endless mandates for aluminum, despite never having produced an aluminum item.

In other news, Townbrush finally revived migrants. A rather large group to, boosting the Fortress population up to 84. I drafted a chunk of the new migrants as fortress guards. Most of them are unskilled, but since they are just on zombie clean up duty, they don't need to be. The real military will still handle threats from the caverns, ambushes, and Forgotten Beasts. I also appointed a new Captain of the Guard, who immediately proved his worth by getting himself killed by a zombie tuna. I'll have to replace him with another neophyte who will probably suffer the same fate. I miss my old Guard Captain. After receiving his crippling hand injury he died of infection. Maybe that's better than watching some idiot attempt to carry out your former and job and utterly fail at it.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: August 27, 2010, 03:02:18 am »

For the first time ever, I've lost a fort to save file corruption.  :[

Made a new fort in a random location.  It has a volcano, sand, a salt water aquifer, and the first thing I saw on embark was ten freaking vultures.  Eight down, two to go, and everyone's very unhappy.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Thiickshake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: August 27, 2010, 03:08:23 am »

Just got this forts first FB, and its not one of those crappy goat demons either its a flying pit viper that spits venomous fumes,
Three squads so far have fallen apart, literally 

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: August 27, 2010, 08:33:37 am »

I'm building the drain for my Moses gate.   Once that's done, I'll have no more excuses for delay.   I'm a little bit concerned, as I've never built one of these before, and the odd way I'm generating power means I'm not 100% sure the system's reliable...

(If you're curious, I tapped an aquifer from below, ran it through a canal, and drained it into the underground sea.   The reliability issue is that the water level in the canal sometimes dropped too low for the water wheels-adding more aquifer taps appears to have solved the problem, but I'm nervous.)

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: August 27, 2010, 09:07:10 am »

Going well so far, into my third year on this fort with 57 dwarves. 2 of which are laid up in hospital after I forgot to un-forbid my prisoners gear before dump designating it. One is my highest level swordsdwarf, who the rest are ignoring (Even my 3 doctors :() and the other has the equivalent of a sprained wrist but is getting teh best dwarven medical attention possible (i.e water, food and violent cracking of bones back into place while staving off the DF worlds equivalent of MRS) :p Currently under siege, but locked the gate and let the gobbo's get my cannon fodder migrants whilst I train up the remainder of my army and continue steel production. Gonna also have to deal with the hippie bastards elven friends locked in with me soon if they go berserk. Hooray! Terrible shame.
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 3842