Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3534 3535 [3536] 3537 3538 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972514 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53025 on: December 02, 2018, 04:08:53 pm »

Oh.
oh.

Well. Alright, I'll try to capture those badger people next time. I'm a bit afraid of chaining those guys, because, well, my people will kill them will they not?

Edit : Well, cages into tavern doesn't seem to work :( Not with trogs at least
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:18:46 pm by Cathar »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53026 on: December 02, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »

So that cook got sentenced to 126 days in prison after assaulting several more people. The dwarf that he hospitalized has finally been released, although only because i deleted the hospital zone. Hopefully that wont cause any problems. Ive got five squads of five dwarves each getting trained for raiding. Soon...

Caravan brought some new warbeasts, but they were fucking expensive so i just deconstructed the depot. I also got motivated to provide nest boxes to the egg layers so ill have more of those soon. And finally I designed a trap for the forgotten beast that showed up in the second caverns. Dont want to deal with him on fair terms because of the fire breathing. setting the cavern moss on fire would make the game unplayable.
Also, apparently some bugbats never figured out how to get off the map from their tree and now we have baby bugbats. Which means a potential bugbat'splosion. Which is terrifying.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53027 on: December 02, 2018, 08:08:04 pm »

My civ's civil war continues for the fourth straight year (of coooourse they had to capture an Elven site and THEN ATTACK IT AGAIN) so at this point my main steel imports are from a dwarven civ a quarter of the size of mine and across the map. Thankfully there are three human civs that gladly trade with me as well and tribute has gotten much larger. It used to be like a sock, five nuts, and a bucket. Now they're providing armor and anvils and useful cages and valuables, etc.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53028 on: December 03, 2018, 03:33:42 am »

When you say "imports, do you actually have a way of trading with the other dwarf civ? Or are we talking about the other kind of imports ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53029 on: December 03, 2018, 07:24:26 am »

When you say "imports, do you actually have a way of trading with the other dwarf civ? Or are we talking about the other kind of imports ;)

Raiding a civ establishes contact with them much in the same way the initial human-elven-goblin civs do with the player. If you later make peace with them and/or make them your tributary, they will remain on your civilizations screen and trade as normal.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53030 on: December 03, 2018, 07:49:41 am »

That is very interesting. So asking for ingoing tribute stops wars? Also, does this mean I can have more then 3 caravans a year? A month?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53031 on: December 03, 2018, 08:07:57 am »

So asking for ingoing tribute stops wars?

Not sure, but I recall if you only ever ask for tribute (instead of razing, pillaging or occupying) and do so successfully (e.g. without any combat), the war will not even start. So you'll have caravans bringing tribute and then normal caravans too.

Also, does this mean I can have more then 3 caravans a year? A month?

Yep, a month. For instance, you can have three human caravans each summer. I assume you can also attract a lot of additional snatchers and sieges, if you "contact" multiple goblin civs, as they're always chaotic evil.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:09:30 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53032 on: December 03, 2018, 08:28:48 am »

Presumably that causes issues if you're receiving caravans from two different civs who are at odds with each other...

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53033 on: December 03, 2018, 09:03:24 am »

A series of unfortunate events made me move on to a new fortress from my prosperous not-so-little 3x3 city.  We reached a peak population of 203 and were doing well...  until...

Something odd happened involving the undead.  I'm not sure exactly what--I think I accidentally slaughtered an undead peregrine falcon and the remains escaped into the fortress and started an outbreak.  However it happened, at one point I got an alert that one of my furniture movers got attacked by a peregrine falcon foul vapor husk (and there are no foul vapors in my territory) and within a few minutes, several dwarves were infected.  OF COURSE this happens while my best warriors (20 soldiers) were out raiding the elves again, thus leaving my only option to burrow until reinforcements came home.  Somehow they all got struck down; I'm not entirely sure how.  If it hadn't said "foul vapor husk" I would have thought a necromancer was hiding in the bushes somewhere and then died suddenly, killing all the zombies.

So, that was unfortunate, because now I had a biohazard to deal with, and among the infected were some high-skilled dwarves.  Meanwhile, I had about a dozen goblin prisoners I wanted to execute, so I built their cages down in a hollowed-out mine tunnel and wired them to a level across the room.  I had designated the cages' contents for dumping to strip the goblins of their equipment, and waited for a long time as all the mechanisms were hooked up.  When it was all done, I set up my archers about 20 feet away and pulled the lever to release the goblins.  However, the first arrow that was fired was going THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.  The goblins were still armed!  Now I had a dozen armed goblins running free in the mines!  There was a skirmish, and three of my archers died in the melee.  Meanwhile, some passing citizens saw all of this and FTFO, at which point the goblins started chasing them down and killed a few.  The military proper came home at this point, so I immediately ordered them into the mines to clean up the mess, but the populace was already very spooked.

Does designating cages sitting in stockpiles (I had actually done d-b-d before "building" the cages to wire them to the lever) not strip enemies of their equipment?  I see it marked as dump in the stocks screen, but no one ever comes to claim it. 

I could have taken the time to recover everything, but at that point I decided I wanted to move onto a new fort.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53034 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:42 am »

If a "foul vapor" unit attacks another unit and transfers the syndrome, they will continue to fight each other (they are in a conflict and until that conflict is ended by death or line-of-sight disruption, they will not stop.) So those "struck down" were struck down by other foul vapor husks.

Check your world map see what biome is to the northwest of your embark area. See this post as to why that matters... It might explain why a foul vapor husk arrived.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53035 on: December 03, 2018, 10:39:32 am »

Presumably that causes issues if you're receiving caravans from two different civs who are at odds with each other...

Yeah, but it is extremely rare for two civs of the same type (race) to be at war. I used to generate dozens of worlds just to read the legends, and I've only encountered it twice.
DF Combat Reworked

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53036 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:36 pm »

but can they occupie the same trade depot at the same time?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53037 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:08 pm »

Yep, without problem. After the caravans unload their goods and you press [t]rade, you'll be given a choice with which civ you want to trade now.
DF Combat Reworked

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53038 on: December 06, 2018, 01:56:29 am »

Got a flame-composed blob of a FB burning down the 2nd cavern layer and I'm fighting the attempt to release it upon the surface. Finally something will clear several sieges worth of corpses. Rivergates has now a siege per season and all the waste is freaking my dwarves out. I wonder will the FB be lethal to my spike traps though.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #53039 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:16 am »

Got a flame-composed blob of a FB burning down the 2nd cavern layer and I'm fighting the attempt to release it upon the surface. Finally something will clear several sieges worth of corpses. Rivergates has now a siege per season and all the waste is freaking my dwarves out.

What can possibly go wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 3534 3535 [3536] 3537 3538 ... 3839