Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3526 3527 [3528] 3529 3530 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958625 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52905 on: October 29, 2018, 07:45:33 am »

Carving gothic arches into a solid chunk of obsidian from the top down is hard. Planning the scaffolding is just ridiculous.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #52906 on: October 29, 2018, 09:01:35 am »

Carving gothic arches into a solid chunk of obsidian from the top down is hard. Planning the scaffolding is just ridiculous.

Architectural projects are where it's fair to savescum imho.

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52907 on: October 29, 2018, 11:32:31 am »

@Pyoro: It should be obvious for Catten.
Ah, I see. As I've never had this happen before in fort mode, I wasn't aware that a message would pop up. Well, it doesn't matter anyways, Catten went bersek too

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52908 on: October 29, 2018, 12:47:26 pm »

my fort is going to be destroyed alongside its world as my OS refuses to boot, so i have to reinstall soonish and cannot migrate any files as i have very limited access to them :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52909 on: October 29, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »

Made a fort to build a bridge over a sea. After managing to survive the web slinging mountain titan (by... locking it up in the dining room), only had two adult left, 6 children. They turn depressed and of course it takes forever to get any bodies put out of the way. First migrant wave, the bodies actually get moved, but the migrants turn depressed too, because they're apparantly moving away their family members.

After half a year, 40 dwarves, of which 15 children. Not ideal, but things are looking up.

Then a 30 piece goblin invasion comes in. Whelp.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52910 on: October 30, 2018, 07:55:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that was that...

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52911 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »

And that was that...
That's the sort of RNG thing that makes me feel that turtling is an entirely valid strategy.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52912 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:17 pm »

I am pretty sure that werebeasts in the first year or so are hardcoded? I've never had a fort since world activation that didn't have a werebeast in the first year. I turtled for mine last time, it's just not worth the hassle regardless of whether my military could've handled the thing.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52913 on: October 30, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »

I always have turtling as an option. I don't use it unless I must, for instance if my entire military has failed to repel an invasion.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52914 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »

I am pretty sure that werebeasts in the first year or so are hardcoded?

Not really - I suppose they just have some very lax attack conditions. Honestly, they are one of the most powerful threats in the whole game, either ignoring or turning around (looking at you, infected militia) most types of defense, barring the exploity raising drawbridge and the (not so exploity) cave-in bait trap. Personally, I just set them to 0 in advanced worldgen, so that I'm not being forced to turtle.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52915 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »

my fort is going to be destroyed alongside its world as my OS refuses to boot, so i have to reinstall soonish and cannot migrate any files as i have very limited access to them :(
:) during OS install, i could select to import old user profile and files. i was even still able to boot the old OS install - my dorfs are still there!
*Celebrates by dancing and praying in the temple of Armok*
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52916 on: October 30, 2018, 03:31:17 pm »

I always have turtling as an option. I don't use it unless I must, for instance if my entire military has failed to repel an invasion.
i only use it if my traps fail and i never have a good military.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52917 on: October 30, 2018, 03:51:09 pm »

Managed to again get one of those worlds where dwarven civilizations are nearly dead and most of the living dwarves are assimilated into conquering goblin civilizations. As a result my "last dwarven hope" -themed glacial fort is getting migrant dwarves with goblin names and cultural values:

They also come in with histories of murder and even toddlers have combat skills. I'm predicting some ethnic tension in the future for this fortress...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:27:34 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52918 on: October 30, 2018, 04:01:58 pm »

Managed to again get one of those worlds where dwarven civilizations are nearly dead and most of living dwarves are assimilated into conquering goblin civilizations. As a result my "last dwarven hope" -themed glacial fort is getting migrant dwarves with goblin names and cultural values:

They also come in with histories of murder and even toddlers have combat skills. I'm predicting some ethnic tension in the future for this fortress...
"You shouldn'whittle your life away on working." :D very dorfy....

NOT :D

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52919 on: October 30, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »

Interesting. The first migrant wave consisted entirely of a goblinized mother and her six children (Yes. Sigh...). Most of the family has goblin values but one of them, five year old Ūsbu Malignsloth, values craftsdwarfship, hard work and other dwarven ideals and has no inclination for murdering at all.

Must be the black... er, white sheep of the family.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 3526 3527 [3528] 3529 3530 ... 3838