Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958620 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52890 on: October 23, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »

"Clenchjaw the guarded Bridge" is growing to 60 dorfs, so it is time to think of a booze industry and other industries aswell.
the meeting hall is carved, smoothed and will be engraved later. one quarter each year. it has fortifications towards the waterfall, so i got a natural mist generator for my dorfs.
they began constructing the tower and many fails are going to happen until it is finished.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52891 on: October 24, 2018, 07:34:10 am »

The "Bait Shamed" squad lived up to their name... Goblins came back following year, bait was used as bait and the murderer Catten hid from the battle. Of four two died in glorious combat killing an advanced guard of trolls and break dogs that were sealed inside to prevent the enemy from reinforcing them. Another squad lost two (drafted the migrant wave) of seven and after being patched back up, redeployed. Catten was not allowed to hide this time, he was trapped (locked) in the depot with his officer (last surviving deserter) and used to bait a group of goblins into coming down to play. A single beak dog was all that came down at first... He saw it, screamed like a little girl, wet his pants and ran -through- the beakdog and out of the fortress. Little coward kept running and the goblin army chased his arse down and butchered him one piece at a time. Fitting end. His officer died honorably. Catten shall get a memorial slab in with the garbage dump. Meanwhile the other 6 took on goblins and chased off the siege, only casualty was the commander of the "bait shamed" squad. They almost all have something like ten-fifteen kills each now.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52892 on: October 25, 2018, 08:45:19 am »

The grand summer palace is finishing digging the main rampway after almost 3 years of existence. Now I'm spending hours on planning out the main fort.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52893 on: October 26, 2018, 05:19:07 am »

Inksacks is in its ninth year now, and is in the middle of this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Digging holes is fine, but there's nothing like a big damn castle carved from a single volcanic glass monolith.

I am so nervous about actually trying to design this thing. Getting this far is the easy part.

Also my dwarves are constantly ending up naked and I don't know how to fix it. I've got workflow set up to make new clothes when the stocks are low, but the stocks aren't low. I think it's counting worn-out clothes as existing, so it's not triggering jobs to make more. If I throw them in the magma, my clothier starts crying. It's vexing.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52894 on: October 26, 2018, 01:15:47 pm »

@doublestrafe
Is your magma dump process something that can be modified to accept only non-masterwork items? If yes, then redirect masterwork clothing using a non-binned stockpile that only accepts masterwork clothing and linking it to give to a refuse stockpile that only accepts from links and accepts Items. The refuse stockpile will take the XX---XX items from the masterwork clothing stockpile and rot them out in a few weeks.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52895 on: October 27, 2018, 09:45:49 am »

For some reason this fort has failed to attract any petitioning mercenaries for several years and when I finally got my first I was very exited.
The Elf Hammerman Anu Doftequil petitioned to join up "soldiering".

This is the most awsome useless mercenary ever!

First of all this competent "Hammerman" arrived wielding a named crossbow. As a hammer. He has no ammo nor any skill in actually shooting it. He is also wielding a book.

He is unquestionably weak. (1/99 in therapist) so I doubt he can even swing his so-called warhammer.

He dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world.

He is sometimes cruel and is disturbed by this.

If I can make him join permanently I shall make him my Hammerer.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52896 on: October 28, 2018, 04:33:43 am »

For some reason this fort has failed to attract any petitioning mercenaries for several years and when I finally got my first I was very exited.

This is the most awsome useless mercenary ever!

First of all this competent "Hammerman" arrived wielding a named crossbow. As a hammer. He has no ammo nor any skill in actually shooting it. He is also wielding a book.

He is unquestionably weak. (1/99 in therapist) so I doubt he can even swing his so-called warhammer.

He dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world.

He is sometimes cruel and is disturbed by this.

If I can make him join permanently I shall make him my Hammerer.
That's interesting. Hitting stuff with a crossbow is considered hammering, but I didn't know someone could arrive with a crossbow instead of a hammer.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52897 on: October 28, 2018, 06:03:06 am »

That's interesting. Hitting stuff with a crossbow is considered hammering, but I didn't know someone could arrive with a crossbow instead of a hammer.

First, I thought that maybe it's because Elfs don't normally have access to any hammer-type weapons.
But then I looked at the entity file, and Elfs don't have access to crossbows either.

So this elf dude, would he have come from a human or dwarf civilisation ?

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52898 on: October 28, 2018, 08:45:22 am »

The fortress of Owlcity which has no military yet is currently under siege by an undead army. A third of the attackers have been put to rest by an ettin that arrived in the middle of the siege. But the most noteworthy encounter during the siege so far is the ongoing fight between an elf bowman corpse and an echidna. I had a look at the game log; there are currently 15238 entries for the following:

The elf bowman corpse bashes the echidna in the upper body with his ({iron bow})

And the fight is not over yet. That's one tough echidna! Tough and currently passed out from exhaustion (for the 349th time).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52899 on: October 28, 2018, 10:07:19 am »

Cheering the echidna on!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52900 on: October 28, 2018, 11:43:12 am »

Cheering the echidna on!

Sorry to inform you, but after ten months and 24500 hits with this rotting elf's iron bow, the echidna finally passed away. It's a shame that I can't even give it its own memorial slab.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:05:12 pm by rostbot »

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52901 on: October 28, 2018, 05:28:41 pm »

So I started up a fortress since the previous one died of fps death, and everyone there was depressed. I got my second migrant wave, and boy, did things get crazy

So as the dwarves arrived on the map, I decided to check them out and see where they came from, if they had come from my old fortress or somewhere else. A pair of dwarves were generated by the game, but were said to have left "The Law of Shadow", which is a government I created as an adventurer, who took back a town overrun by goblins. Why these dwarves got involved, I don't know. One of the was said to be a hearthsperson.

So more dwarves show up, and some of them come from a fort I made before, called "Lancertrusted". One dwarf who emigrated from there was named Catten Maystakes. The first thing Catten did was throw a tantrum, head right for the temple, and topple the one statue that was there. Now, the temple wasn't dedicated to any deity in particular, but does this still mean Catten has been cursed? I don't know! Looks like I'll find out in the coming months. Catten then proceeded to beat one of the stray cats.

Zefon Booklauds was another dwarf from Lancertrusted. I remember him, as he's caused me trouble before. He too threw a tantrum on arrival, and began to try to fight everyone else in the migrant wave. Nobody was seriously hurt, though.

Then there was Ast Axebeast. Ast was a miner from Lancertrusted, and as soon as he arrived, he went berserk. The first dwarf he saw was the administrator of the fort, Rimtar Moistenedroom. He struck her with his pickaxe, and tore off her lower left arm. Rimtar got out of these as soon as she could, and sent Urdim Portalwhip, the only soldier in the fortress, to kill Ast, which she did. Chopped him up into five pieces.

What am I gonna do with these troublemakers? I don't have any hillocks linked to my fort, so I can't send them away, and I feel guilty just exiling them. They're probably just trying to get away from their old, stressful lifestyles.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #52902 on: October 28, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »

Started my first embark on a Terrifying glacier biome. Yetis killed 2 of my first 7, including 1 of my 2 miners. No reanimation fortunately. Luckily a migrant wave showed up shortly thereafter and I pressed one of them into mining. Between the deaths and raining blood my dwarves were often despairing.

First attempt at irrigation via dropping ice blocks failed miserably. Second attempt over-succeeded - the farming room was filled with 5/5 water so expansion was necessary. First attempt area was repurposed into a nice tall pit, which became the final resting place for the Yetis after the fortress entrance was spammed with cage traps.

A werelizard showed up and murdered 2 more dwarves before leaving. No infections fortunately. 2.5 years in and still working on the magma piston, although it is almost complete. No ores other than copper and candy.

There are 10,000 gobbos waiting in a Dark Fortress a day's march away and we have no defences save for some cage traps and a raising bridge. I've put every dwarf into squads set to inactive with one large barracks which does at least get them doing <individual combat drill> when there's no jobs going. Hopefully it'll help with raising a proper military when the time comes.

Not much exciting going on atm other than the routine pitting of caged pests, which I always enjoy. I suspect a siege is imminent. Currently trying to capture some crave crocodiles for a planned crocodile bomb.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52904 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:49 am »

Sounds like it was a maystake letting her in.
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 3838