Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3516 3517 [3518] 3519 3520 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969186 times)

Namlet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52755 on: September 06, 2018, 03:07:39 pm »

Just started up my first fort in a few years, and within a year a necromancer showed up with about 20 zombies and just left them outside my gates. Since then I've just been in turtle mode, walling off all entrances and exits while i train up a military. I also don't have access to any iron or steel, so my only option is to make full sets of adamantium equipment and hope they can fight off the zombies.

All in all, I see this as a pretty successful fort. We've only lost a fisherdwarf to the zombie apocalypse so far.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52756 on: September 06, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »

Embarked on a new fort to test out some new reactions/interactions code. In the process there was one werebeast attack, but i got everyone inside before it got to the door. But then there was that one idiot who tried to path through the then-locked door, bumped into it, turned around and got mushed into oblivion when the drawbridge closed as he was standing on it. It was inevitable. So thats death #1.

Besides that ive set up a mini fort to the south west where testing will take place. Ive discovered i need a secluded wizards tower to get anything done without civilian interference with the mod as it stands. Otherwise other dwarves will hijack the essences and shit i needed for testing. Which also prevents me from concentrating power into a handful of powerful sorcerors, instead of urist mcfarmer having access to a healing spell the doctors needed. Its become a nightmare of micromanagement in that way. The wizards have to live an entirely secluded life away from the workers, and i have to use bridges or garbage dumps to get items in and out.

Interestingly, not long after i embarked i got announcements about some dwarves becoming mayor, captain of the guard etc. From underground. I can only assume i embarked on top of a subterranean mountain hall, but thats impossible without that embark anywhere script for dfhack. So the only other explanation i can come up with is that the mountain hall was founded on the exact same spot i chose to embark on, after i chose to embark? Weird. Ive yet to dig down and actually see whats going on down there, though. One of them, captain of the guard i think, islisted as a relative of one of my second wave migrants, and i can zoom to him, which points me to a spot underground near where the announcements came from to begin with, so i can only assume theyre still there.

I wonder if theyll become one of my hillocks sites later when i qualify for land ownership? Hows that gonna work out...
you're lucky. there's always at least one dorf 5-10 dorfs outside not getting inside soon enough and getting killed or bitten. they either die starving in their locked hospitalrooms or once they turn and get caught in a cagetrap after killing another 5-10 dorfs and biting a few more *start of recursion*.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52757 on: September 06, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »

After some time away I have returned to the multi-species fortress of Minebrave where things are developing quite well. Our baroness elf  and her husband have both reached Legendary +5 in discipline and fighting, and the baroness was elevated to countess. Their squad has been expanded to include the countess' only friend, a goblin and two musical apprentices of her husband, the closest he has to friends.

This leaves me with exactly ten other goblins who have been placed in a squad together so now I have an Elite Goblin Death Squad of my very own, or at least the Adept Goblin Death Squad for now. I've set up an isolated pillbox on the beach which can be sealed or opened from inside itself. The goblins train here and can lock themselves in should a threat separate them from the fortress proper. Theoretically as goblins are biologically immortal and don't need food or drink they could be the only survivors of my fort locked away and training until they can release themselves and retake the fort.

The king himself has arrived, with his queen consort and outpost liasion, already very familiar with our legendary tavern, in tow. The fortress of Minebrave, home to 223 residents has become the capital of The Strong Wires. Now someone has to go tell the two best fighters in the fort they need to give up their room because it's closest to royal status.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52758 on: September 06, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »

@Eric Blank: Keep a backup of the save for later investigations, I'd say.

It might be that some of your migrants arrived underground and are subsisting off vermin and cave water, perhaps? Or maybe as visitors instead. Harder to tell what happened after they're killed by spider, ogre or FB though.

@Pirate: 10 dwarves? That's not luck, that's purposefully posting outside jobs that cannot be done before next full moon without any guards via placed temporary armorstands or even chained bait for defence.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52759 on: September 07, 2018, 09:02:46 pm »

Squarehelm was besieged by a couple necromancers and their horde - wonderful! Bodies to fill my cage traps for experiments.

A few days into the siege I discovered that my fortress had multiple wereelephants in it from an attack weeks ago I didn't think had inflicted any injuries thanks to my vigilant hunters.

One massacre later and my fortress was reduced to a pile of dismembered corpses, a necro army in cages, one wereelephant dwarf child and a completely mad adult dwarf. The adult is wandering around babbling while the child plays with a puzzlebox, waiting for the next full moon.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52760 on: September 07, 2018, 09:19:51 pm »

A season into embark with the usual set up, dorfs are all thirsty. Odd. Go drink the booze boys. Stocks say there's plenty. Disable hauling, go party!

Dorf Is Thirsty!

Hmm. OK. Where's the booze? Not in the booze pile yet. Ah so must be still in the wagon. Where's the wagon?
At the bottom of the previously frozen murkey pool...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52761 on: September 07, 2018, 11:30:44 pm »

Well, they can drink the pool water until it is shallow enough to retrieve the booze then XD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52762 on: September 08, 2018, 01:25:07 am »

Well, they can drink the pool water until it is shallow enough to retrieve the booze then XD
Lots of thoughts about drinking nasty water from the stagnant pools.  :)
Widened the pool until the water level dropped. Got my booze and didn't even drown anyone.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52763 on: September 08, 2018, 01:35:14 am »

Random ass question, but what causes the drink vomit thought? have dwarves learned to swallow the first few lurches from sun nauseation? I keep having idiots complaining about it and there's no vomit in any of my buckets or goblets, so it can't be that...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52764 on: September 08, 2018, 03:10:22 am »

Is there vomit in the actual water?

Failing that, maybe they just vomit when they're drinking but keep chugging anyway.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52765 on: September 08, 2018, 05:25:01 am »

So I got a forgotten beast, a giant tick with a spiralling shell and webs. No worries - in addition to having my two regular squads of weaponmasters, I've got my marksdwarf squad ready to go. There'll be forgotten beast tallow roasts for years to come!

Long story short - after having murdered 95 citizens in my fort, the beast was eventually slain by a visiting lord consort. The only surviving citizen is a lone dwarf child, who's already slipped into depression.

Ah well. The City of Rock will find a new colony somewhere else.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52766 on: September 08, 2018, 05:50:37 am »

So I got a forgotten beast, a giant tick with a spiralling shell and webs. No worries - in addition to having my two regular squads of weaponmasters, I've got my marksdwarf squad ready to go. There'll be forgotten beast tallow roasts for years to come!

Long story short - after having murdered 95 citizens in my fort, the beast was eventually slain by a visiting lord consort. The only surviving citizen is a lone dwarf child, who's already slipped into depression.

Ah well. The City of Rock will find a new colony somewhere else.
Always be careful when letting your marksdwarves run around outside during tick season.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52767 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:37 am »

Ambushed by a tribe of lion people (mod).
14 of them altogether, vicious lion-headed, spear wielding savages. Having no military at all yet, I pulled everyone back inside the fortress. No hope for the animal pasture though. Haven't got round to moving that inside yet.

The lion people close in roaring battle cries in their bestial language. Then they spot the turkey.

Suddenly blue exclamation marks start flashing as the proud tribesmen are overcome by terror and start fleeing the battlefield.

Ambush over. They'll be back, but I'll be investing in some more turkeys before then.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52768 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:49 am »

Ambushed by a tribe of lion people (mod).
14 of them altogether, vicious lion-headed, spear wielding savages. Having no military at all yet, I pulled everyone back inside the fortress. No hope for the animal pasture though. Haven't got round to moving that inside yet.

The lion people close in roaring battle cries in their bestial language. Then they spot the turkey.

Suddenly blue exclamation marks start flashing as the proud tribesmen are overcome by terror and start fleeing the battlefield.

Ambush over. They'll be back, but I'll be investing in some more turkeys before then.

That's hilarious, what mod are you using?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52769 on: September 08, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Dirlu Nocpurthrireg has come!

Oh crap

A great blob composed of snow.

wait what

It has a stubby tail and squirms and fidgets.

And no special attack.

It's a giant, probably adorable snowball with a little tail. It spawned in a part of the cavern that's totally cut off from my fortress. It's as harmless as a forgotten beast could be. 
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.
Pages: 1 ... 3516 3517 [3518] 3519 3520 ... 3839