Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972374 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52740 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:56 am »

Wow. We've been doing it wrong the whole time.

We've been locking children away in tiny trauma chambers to toughen up while they're "just useless children", when clearly they need to be on the front line!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52741 on: September 04, 2018, 08:07:02 am »

Currently, I accepted residency and even citizenship for a handful of mercenaries, that seem not to be able to join the military.
Going to have to find a use for some people with sharp things I can't really control.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52742 on: September 04, 2018, 08:29:02 am »

Currently, I accepted residency and even citizenship for a handful of mercenaries, that seem not to be able to join the military.
Going to have to find a use for some people with sharp things I can't really control.
If they were monster slayers, they weren't mercenaries. They've just asked for permission to hang out and die in your caverns and will do so independently.

If they were mercenaries (residence for the purposes of 'soldiering') , they can be assigned to military positions 2 and below (position 1 is for militia commander/captain who can't be a merc).

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52743 on: September 04, 2018, 09:08:06 am »

They are mercenaries, indeed. But I can't find them on the military screen at all, and they're redded out in TheRapist.
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52744 on: September 04, 2018, 09:15:37 am »

They are mercenaries, indeed. But I can't find them on the military screen at all, and they're redded out in TheRapist.
Very strange.
Try vanilla. If they still don't work, post a bug report I guess.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52745 on: September 04, 2018, 09:34:24 am »

If you press "l" you get a list of locations. First one is the whole fortress. On the right you get performers, scholars, mercs, monsterslayers, messengers and others, grouped. Make sure your mercs are mercenaries, not monster slayers. If they are listed as mercenaries, then they should be available for positions 2-10 for your squads.

Also, in current Dwarf Therapist, if you choose to group by "Military Status" (the same place you can choose to group by Migration Wave or Age), then mercs should be in their own group, "Mercenaries", and not in the "Cannot Activate" (which groups other non-citizens).

By the way, mercs do not apply for citizenship, as far as I know. Scholars and entertainers do apply, mercs and monster slayers do not.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52746 on: September 04, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »

Alright, got it figured out.
Had to check the visitors screen (I did not know about that newish feature, thanks!), assign and then remove a dwarf from the couple military slots that had... been vacated.
Guess it missed a check there somewhere.

First order: issue masterwork steel armor to the merc that kicked a werelizard in the stomach enough to break its spine. (And all its ribs.) My love for him is directly proportionate to my hatred for werecreatures.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:14:14 pm by Deus Machina »

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52747 on: September 04, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »

Or an update: Found the most tactically sound GCS I've ever seen. ambushed, webbed every merc and a further 15 military dwarves, and methodically poisoned or beheaded them despite a glut of metal helms.
It took a lucky hit for a hammerdwarf to shield-bash the thing's torso out from between the rest of it.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52748 on: September 05, 2018, 10:33:32 am »

The new industrialized mass grave is working perfectly, although consumer reviews leave much to be desired.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52749 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58:51 pm »

That consumer review is very detailed and subject oriented I find it to be quite impressive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52750 on: September 05, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »

Yea, but I wish people would stop bringing their religious views into it. Who cares if she worships Risen Cobaltsteel? Crying out loud, woman.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52751 on: September 05, 2018, 01:51:19 pm »

As long as she never talks about it to anyone it's ok.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52752 on: September 06, 2018, 08:18:15 am »

That consumer review makes me want to mark veins for digging.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52753 on: September 06, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »

It's become a dreary place. I had to retire it after the goblin holocaust and after the point where I had to dfhack the stress every 15 minutes or less. With yearly attacks outnumbering the fortress population by some margin, most dwarves were manipulating corpses or melting or salvaging loot most of the time, or doing something to support the salvage operation.

The fort served its purpose. At one point it was the only free settlement on an island with 3000-4000 goblins. In all other sites, the local populace had been exterminated. I was able to protect the nobility and keep my civ (the only civ besides the goblins) alive until the exiled dwarves were able to spread to other sites. Going through legends revealed each civ had a mix of both cultures and races, and that the goblin civ had been drafting all of their friendly dwarves and sending them on suicide attacks, until they eventually ran out second class citizens. Plausible deniability. On the other side of the wall, my own goblins have been integrated and now slightly outnumber the dwarves.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52754 on: September 06, 2018, 02:25:10 pm »

Embarked on a new fort to test out some new reactions/interactions code. In the process there was one werebeast attack, but i got everyone inside before it got to the door. But then there was that one idiot who tried to path through the then-locked door, bumped into it, turned around and got mushed into oblivion when the drawbridge closed as he was standing on it. It was inevitable. So thats death #1.

Besides that ive set up a mini fort to the south west where testing will take place. Ive discovered i need a secluded wizards tower to get anything done without civilian interference with the mod as it stands. Otherwise other dwarves will hijack the essences and shit i needed for testing. Which also prevents me from concentrating power into a handful of powerful sorcerors, instead of urist mcfarmer having access to a healing spell the doctors needed. Its become a nightmare of micromanagement in that way. The wizards have to live an entirely secluded life away from the workers, and i have to use bridges or garbage dumps to get items in and out.

Interestingly, not long after i embarked i got announcements about some dwarves becoming mayor, captain of the guard etc. From underground. I can only assume i embarked on top of a subterranean mountain hall, but thats impossible without that embark anywhere script for dfhack. So the only other explanation i can come up with is that the mountain hall was founded on the exact same spot i chose to embark on, after i chose to embark? Weird. Ive yet to dig down and actually see whats going on down there, though. One of them, captain of the guard i think, islisted as a relative of one of my second wave migrants, and i can zoom to him, which points me to a spot underground near where the announcements came from to begin with, so i can only assume theyre still there.

I wonder if theyll become one of my hillocks sites later when i qualify for land ownership? Hows that gonna work out...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:57:54 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 3839