Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3514 3515 [3516] 3517 3518 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972432 times)

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52725 on: September 02, 2018, 04:20:20 pm »

Year 253 Mid-Spring, Outpost Jadecloisters
We arrived at our destination in Granite of this year. Upon our survey of the land we noticed a few interesting features.
A river delta + waterfall:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Our site is at the top of a hill, where we will have a defensive advantage:

A few things draw my ire, the lord who demanded we colonize this distant land forbade us from appointing an expedition leader, or any administrators, in the name of "keeping control over distant lands".

The year is still young. No one has died.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52726 on: September 02, 2018, 08:09:41 pm »

I understand no nobles, but no manager/bookkeeper/broker is madness!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52727 on: September 02, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »

Because by default humans lack any of these positions, and what ones they do have are limited to what the variable position thing will spit out.

I'd also very strongly recommend turing rain off or settling in the rain shadow of a mountain range, because if you wanna live on the surface, rain is gonna drive your people insane.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52728 on: September 03, 2018, 03:35:10 am »

Hum.

For those who play adventure mode, does this actually modify what you can strike? (I would guess so, based on Rocs.)

(Of course, going for legs is classic Kisat Dur move and if they dodge off the high ground they can enjoy freefall, falling down to twist their ankle and getting attacked while stunned.)

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52729 on: September 03, 2018, 06:19:44 am »

I understand no nobles, but no manager/bookkeeper/broker is madness!
The thing which makes me most concerned is no militia commander. We will have to defend ourselves with machinery.
Because by default humans lack any of these positions, and what ones they do have are limited to what the variable position thing will spit out.

I'd also very strongly recommend turing rain off or settling in the rain shadow of a mountain range, because if you wanna live on the surface, rain is gonna drive your people insane.
We lack the divine ability to disable rain. We plan on enlisting the aid of scholars in determining the source of rain. I once heard a rumor that rain is the coalescing of evaporated water.

Hum.

For those who play adventure mode, does this actually modify what you can strike? (I would guess so, based on Rocs.)

(Of course, going for legs is classic Kisat Dur move and if they dodge off the high ground they can enjoy freefall, falling down to twist their ankle and getting attacked while stunned.)
The great Dwarven Warrior Urist McKenobi said it best.
"It's over bronze colossus, I have the fluffy wambler."
Fluffy wamblers are found on elevated terrain.*

*citation needed
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:26:55 am by 5crownik007 »
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52730 on: September 03, 2018, 06:50:15 am »

Year 253 Early Autumn, Outpost Jadecloisters
With the arrival of a migrant wave, I turn to a measure more detestable than purring maggots. Communism.
We will be constructing a large apartment building with tiny rooms to store all of our people. 2x1 rooms, it's terrible.

Of course, we lacked any hierarchy in the first place, but as our small outpost grows, I get the feeling that there will be slaughters in the name of the "greater good".
GENERATION 29:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52731 on: September 03, 2018, 06:59:16 am »

Or, y'know. You could just call a do-over and give them the positions needed to operate  like a proper playable civ.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52732 on: September 03, 2018, 07:28:31 am »

Or, y'know. You could just call a do-over and give them the positions needed to operate  like a proper playable civ.
Well that's a bit boring, isn't it?
EDIT:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:30:06 am by 5crownik007 »
GENERATION 29:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52733 on: September 03, 2018, 07:43:12 am »

Well that's a bit boring, isn't it?
EDIT:

I mean no offense when I say this, but that's honestly a stupid way to operate.

It's not boring when you need the basic functionality of a bookkeeper, broker, manager, CMD-equivalent, law enforcer, and militia. I mean granted, you can skate by without a militia if you have a whole lotta mechanics and people to spare for smithing trap parts that won't break after the second use or shut off invaders, but still, you need the others to access certain screens, automate work, trade with some idea of what the hell is worth what, and see what exactly needs to be done to fix injured dwarves (I've had the occasional instance of not knowing when a dwarf needed traction due to the lack of a CMD.)

I say this as someone who did the exact same thing (just slapping controllability on humans and expecting them to work fine,) and only learned after I couldn't form a militia to fight the many fortress defense races with or assign a broker or bookkeeper that I needed to add in the necessary positions. You need that basic function so the , so it's good that your humans probably just got butchered wholesale.

Apologies for sounding overly harsh, I actually play as humans pretty regularly and haven't been to bed, so I'm a bit snappy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52734 on: September 03, 2018, 07:53:10 am »

Do hunters still do the excellent back-and-forth skirmishing when encountering an enemy, or do they just run away these days?

Hunters used to be the go-to for having an armed, if completely disorganized, militia.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52735 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:29 am »

I mean no offense when I say this, but that's honestly a stupid way to operate.

It's not boring when you need the basic functionality of a bookkeeper, broker, manager, CMD-equivalent, law enforcer, and militia. I mean granted, you can skate by without a militia if you have a whole lotta mechanics and people to spare for smithing trap parts that won't break after the second use or shut off invaders, but still, you need the others to access certain screens, automate work, trade with some idea of what the hell is worth what, and see what exactly needs to be done to fix injured dwarves (I've had the occasional instance of not knowing when a dwarf needed traction due to the lack of a CMD.)

I say this as someone who did the exact same thing (just slapping controllability on humans and expecting them to work fine,) and only learned after I couldn't form a militia to fight the many fortress defense races with or assign a broker or bookkeeper that I needed to add in the necessary positions. You need that basic function so the , so it's good that your humans probably just got butchered wholesale.

Apologies for sounding overly harsh, I actually play as humans pretty regularly and haven't been to bed, so I'm a bit snappy.
Chill down muh dude.
I already knew humans would work like this, I've put [site_controllable] on them before.

The Werelizard attacked a rattlesnake and turned back to a human before he could do any serious damage.
Do hunters still do the excellent back-and-forth skirmishing when encountering an enemy, or do they just run away these days?

Hunters used to be the go-to for having an armed, if completely disorganized, militia.
Something to test, second amendment in Dwarf Fortress, have all Humans assigned to hunting and carry around their bows.
GENERATION 29:

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #52736 on: September 03, 2018, 08:10:28 am »

Do bows actually work for hunting though? Last I checked hunters only pick weapons that use the crossbow skill.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52737 on: September 03, 2018, 08:13:28 am »

Do bows actually work for hunting though? Last I checked hunters only pick weapons that use the crossbow skill.
More science is required. Though I think they will use bows because in the ammunition tab of the military window it automatically has 100 arrows assigned for hunters.
GENERATION 29:

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52738 on: September 03, 2018, 09:19:40 am »

Dropped a reacher into a pit with a couple of hungry head's and it got killed.

Dropped  a black mamba into a pit with 4 hungry heads that will killing another reacher and it killed everything and lived lol

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52739 on: September 03, 2018, 09:21:15 am »

I used to mess around with a semi-realistic feudal nobility system for humans exactly (it seems to be functioning for now, although, I've yet to test out this seemingly final version), and one time I've ended up in a situation where, due to a noble getting promoted, I've lost all my valuable positions, including any sort of organized military. However, I've managed to fight off a 40-something goblin invasion with a 80-something population of civilians (including children). Due to a shortage of ammunition, there were only 4 hunters, 3 miners (chosen for their skill) and the rest were "woodcutters". Here are some vague observations:
1) Hunters were very willing to engage the enemy and only ran away when the melee gobs got too close. The hunters would soon return to the skirmish again.
2) Invaders were always going for the closest target, which were usually not the hunters, as those were always keeping their distance. As a result, all four of the hunters survived the siege.
3) Miners and woodcutters were reluctant to engage the enemy regardless of their skill and sometimes they didn't even fight back when attacked, prefering to try and run away. However, they were very eager to pile up on the first goblin who got overexhausted - and they got suddenly willing to fight his conscious comrades too, but only for a short period of time.
4) Children were absolutely ferocious even without the weapons, removing armor from the enemies and/or strangling them to death.
5) Once the siege officially broke, invaders continued to fight until left alone. Some civilians who drifted outside the walls got killed by the "retreating" enemy. It seems like the invaders are being pulled off the map by an order rather than personal fear - they were very willing to continue fighting, if engaged.
6) Population fell from 80-something to 38, not including the wounded who didn't survive until next season due to me having no possible diagnostician.
7) Two children got most of the kills, probably due to the poor quality of the axes in stock (mostly copper). Hunters, however, were the most reliable, as they were the only ones willing to attack non-disabled gobs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:27:09 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 3514 3515 [3516] 3517 3518 ... 3839