Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515] 3516 3517 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978537 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52710 on: August 26, 2018, 12:10:01 pm »

I've got sieges for the first time in ages. Which is understandable, I'm in the middle of multiple Gobbo forts, most of which started as Elven retreats. It'd be great except certain squads insist on climbing down 3 z-levels of moat, up the other side (another three z-levels), and then engaging in hand-to-hand. They have crossbows and bolts.

So then they lose half their troops in ten seconds, and I have to send in the guys who have actually been training in hand-to-hand for years, who only lose one, and then I have epic cleanups of everyone's teeth...

Which are problematic because I have a freezing biome and a lot of murky ponds. At one point when they unfroze I had four guys drowning.

So now I'm building walls (so the X-Bow dwarves can't see the enemy to go kamikazee, and there's another z-level of climbing to path through), and I used d-o to tell the little idiots to not walk on ponds anymore.

On the positive side, it's truly amazing how many worn clothes you can foist on an Elven caravan if you don't care how much profit you're giving them.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52711 on: August 26, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »

This info might be outdated, but previously I heard and successfully used the advice that marksdwarves behave more sensibly if you designate the place you want defended as a burrow and assign them to it instead of using "Station".
Akur Akir Akam!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52712 on: August 26, 2018, 02:23:27 pm »

Saw the red C for combat report come up unexpectedly, was worried for a moment.

It was a wild opossum apparently falling out of a tree and dying when it hit the ground.

Previous false alarms for something going wrong, included a wild boar inexplicably falling when it entered the map edge, and losing a tusk doing so.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52713 on: August 27, 2018, 08:50:21 pm »

Got my first ever raw adamantine.

Now to make weapons!

Hairy Dude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52714 on: August 27, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »

(edit: clicked save by mistake instead of preview)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:34:49 pm by Hairy Dude »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52715 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:52 pm »

You need to include the .png links, Hairy.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52716 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:34 am »

yet another new fort and a poor girl had to die because i had no GCS-thread for her artifact :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52717 on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:46 am »

^You can take some silk thread/cloth as embark equipment and arguably should buy some wool and silk from the first caravan. I was burnt by this a few times during my first games, so tend to grab extra cloth and raw glass automatically during trades.

Worst i've done to a dwarf of late was send them on solo missions once they started tantrumming. Didn't return from the second mission, so problem solved...

When i looked through older-version dormant forts, i stumbled over a 1x6 or so embark that notably featured a 115 z high volcano. I think i'd intended to do supersonic minecart flight experiments there, but eventually did that somewhere else. So i just did what comes naturally and tapped the volcano near the surface for magmaflooding. Not too impressive because the 1x N/S width means it flows off the map pretty much instantly, but it looks like an option to drain a volcano with a fair bit of patience (5 pumps running full tilt for about half a year - sixteen levels of volcano emptied; projected 3-4 years to get it down to the surface). I didn't try pressurising the volcano this time, which might have accelerated matters. Lost one dwarf in the volcano breaching, because i forgot to forbid a door that was already next to magma; Law of Urist states if a dwarf has two options, they'll preferably pick the desastrous one.

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52718 on: August 29, 2018, 12:15:18 am »

Just finished a killing dome, trapped zigzag corridor, and washing pool in preparation to breach the circus... Still don't dare breach it though. I'm running at ~20FPS already.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52719 on: August 29, 2018, 03:27:02 am »

I still think fondly of that fucked-up succession game where I tried to find some way that mess of a fort could deal with its frog demon problem in the adamantine pocket (back before randomized demons and slade and all that fun stuff)... Eventually, I figured that the only way I could reasonably put a dent in it would be to do a lot of digging, and then drop a huge block of stone over the top of the column, collapsing every floor in turn and squishing the froggies in the resulting accordion.

Worked out quite well, and just in time to retire and let someone else do the cleaning up.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52720 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:48 am »

Had a particularily pesky Giant Cavespider that took its time to hunt down 4 Monsterslayers in the long run yet avoiding confrontation or traps. Got wounded, never killed.
At some point it decided to rest below the ceiling of a particularily high cavern area 20+ levels, and just sat there, staring meancingly at my Hoppleheads, freaking them out.

Once i realized that it probably aint gonna move anytime soon i decided to dig a tunnel towards it above it and channeled the piece of floor out it was hanging on, with accordingly hilarious results.
Giant cavespider sandwich anyone?

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52721 on: August 29, 2018, 07:56:20 pm »

Forgot that I saved during a siege. I loaded in and didn't activate any defense. Got maybe 60 human soldiers running all over the fort before I noticed it.

Thankfully everyone is on militia program and can defense themselves (and aways walks around in full steel armor and weapons). The fortress lost only 2 children.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52722 on: August 30, 2018, 02:01:22 am »

Surely your pop. must be small? I've always had issues fully armouring my military, nevermind the public.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52723 on: August 30, 2018, 02:53:17 am »

In these kinds of forts, the military is the public.

I guess it depends on your iron/flux resources, though. Magnetite clusters in flux or auto-melt/smith spiked balls on R = everyone in steel. Dead civ metalless embark without any humans or goblins? Only metal you have access to is in the picks you brought.

Assigning everyone to wear light masterwork steel set is pretty easy, just do it from v-p menu when you're looking over them (or in DT, if using that for military).

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52724 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:38 am »

The pop is 123. 30 regulars, the rest are militia which only train 3 months a year.

The fortress is 2X years old and I use Giant axe blade/legging smelting exploit.
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515] 3516 3517 ... 3839