Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3512 3513 [3514] 3515 3516 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978951 times)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52695 on: August 20, 2018, 03:26:08 pm »

Recently i just embarked  near the undead biome. I was afraid to let my dwarves to go to the river but... My cook killed a dead porcupine with his bare hands... I was really scared seeing this creature nearing my clueless dwaves but my cooker is a tough and brave dwarven woman.
My hunters easily defeat giant elephants and giant tigers, fight with bears and crocodiles. All is good.

Why do you fear the undead so much?..

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52696 on: August 20, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »

So my attempt at weaponizing undead failed miserably, there was great slaughter all around. But, luckily the hydra stepped into the airlock.

So, I’m now trying to weaponize this slightly wounded hydra.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52697 on: August 20, 2018, 05:03:05 pm »

So my attempt at weaponizing undead failed miserably, there was great slaughter all around. But, luckily the hydra stepped into the airlock.

So, I’m now trying to weaponize this slightly wounded hydra.
Hydras, for all their size & ferocity, actually aren't very tough.  Strong sure, but they go down easily enough.  I advise a modified pit trap; drop invaders into a room to wound them, and build your Hydra chamber next to that (so as to prevent a falling invader from squishing him).

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52698 on: August 21, 2018, 11:59:02 pm »

Just built a reservoir which is tapped into the aquifier... and hooked up the well but i may have a potential facepalm as the well is on the same floor as the aquifier block i cut... but as a 1st time attempt i took the precaution of putting it behind a forbidden door as well as the pierced aquifier... and i have room above to put another well...

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52699 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »

Hydras, for all their size & ferocity, actually aren't very tough.  Strong sure, but they go down easily enough.

They are not too bad in Dwarf Mode.  I have had my backside handed to me by a hydra more than once in Adventurer Mode, though.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52700 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:04 am »

Hooray the well worked, opened up a hospital opposite the well... right across the hall, opened the 1st cavern and resident monster slayer is now exploring... no fights just yet... set up a barracks just up from the caverns entrance which has a raised bridge and a bunch of cage traps raring to go...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52701 on: August 23, 2018, 05:57:57 am »

My fortress is currently sliding into a tantrum-spiral and my prisons are operating on full capacity. Constant attacks and mountains of bodies piling into front gate seem to take its toll, harder than in older versions.

Strangest thing of all, one of my (only) stressed dwarves (axedwarf) just butchered eight other dwarves with his axe, and it seems that doesnt trigger "crime" flag. I thought it would have been fist-fights would he have not carried a weapon, but previously one of my hammerdwarves battled with a guard (who was armed with a training spear) and it didn't count as a crime either.

I just keep finding more bodies wherever I look  :'(

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52702 on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:44 am »

Magma generation ex nihilo

||

||

||

Minecarts are ♥

Though I think there's still room for rate, cost and initial supply (24/7) improvement, and the whole thing has very limited usefulness. This is somewhere in the range of about 20-40 magma per day; faster than most single-cart lifts but not quite a deluge. 7 platinum carts and 2 rollers +power supply is also a substantial cost; greater in micromanagement than a track from magma sea for sure.

E: Yup, managed a ~39-52 per day magma generator with 3 platinum minecarts and rollers by applying bumps and pumps. Took 25 magma before it started generating, tho.

E: Further improvement to 374 in a week and compacting in generation area by 8 tiles, at the cost of 25 mechanisms. Might be possible to up to quadruple that, with propotional mechanism cost. (Used 6 plates in 121 to generate pulses, but obviously more is possible.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:53:18 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52703 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:00 am »

GCS killed a monster slayer and 1 of my stone crafters... so i sent my squad of 3 and got her good... which lead me to learning how to use burrows and now i will check my squad and hope i set up the hospital right.... (never really been able to play long enough to get a fort running properly and learn cage traps, burrows and squads etc properly before) will check combat reports soon...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52704 on: August 24, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »

Every stressed dwarf in my fortress is now dead, I guess that's one solution.

I was attacked by elves riding on mooses, and they drove 15 war giant grizzly bears ahead of them. I have only once seen mounted enemies before in older versions so that was exciting. Luckily I trust my forces nowadays, and they took no casualties (one ill-armoured recruit was wounded by a bear though). "The axe lord bites the war giant grizzly bear in the head, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!" That's the spirit lad. My older self would have closed the gates and let the enemies leave after a while.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52705 on: August 24, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »

Currently building a fort called Mutedposts, with temples for all the deities. This civ has some interesting deities, mostly in the form of female dwarves (my Civilisation is called The Fortress of Women, by the way).
* Ud: Goddess of Fortresses, War and Valour.
* As the Aquamarine: Cave Swallow God of Earth, Caverns, Mountains, Jewels, Wealth and Trade
* Bokbon: Goddess of Silence
* Kubelt the Insights of Strategy: Goddess of Scholarship
* Vash: Goddess of Death and Suicide.
* The Seed of Building: God of Rebirth.
* Vanel: Goddess of Writing.

Not long after I built my first temple, not dedicated to any deity, the fortress gets attacked by a Werebeast that bites another dwarf, which I forget to check for, that then turns and kills all but 2 of the other Dwarves. When he turns back, he soon 'nobly throws himself into the volcano' (e.g ordered to stand on the end of a long bridge whilst the expedition leader pulls a lever). So, whilst waiting for a migrant wave so I can start doing stuff again I check my units screen. Both Dwarves are 'Meditating on Suicide'...

Anyway, about 5 in-game years later and the fortress has a pop of about 60 and I've built some more temples. Everyone but Vash, The Seed of Building and Ud get their own temple built from obsidian on the surface with a statue of them in the centre.

Ud is getting something much grander yet-to-be-built, and Vash and The Seed of Building each have a memorial hall with a statue of them in the centre. And my Miner throws a tantrum, and topples a nearby statue. Of Vash. In the middle of the memorial hall. This is one of the two survivors, incidentally. The dwarf who got bit was my other starting miner.

So I now have a vampire dwarf in my fortress, locked in a glass room and acting as an immortal sentry at the drawbridge into the fort.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:59:35 pm by MorleyDev »

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52706 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:31 pm »

A one-eyed shelled poison-gas-spewing iguanadont decided to attack the fortress of Lungrazors. Biggest mistake it ever made.

I sent my hammer squad out to slay (or at least slow down) the beast, with a squad of speardwarves in reserve nearby. The speardwarves took up position quickly. The hammerdwarves... not so much. When militia captain (and legendary fish cleaner) Goden Oilflames came face to face with the monster, her squad had yet to catch up. She was alone. The foul thing swung at her.

It missed.

It unleashed its foul vapors and swung again.

She blocked it, and counterattacked. She missed as well.

Again it attacked, again it missed.

Goden laid her first blow on the beast. Another blast of poison.

It charged. She jumped out of the way. Goden swung her silver hammer and fratured the beast's skull. Then she bent one of its legs.

And then? Goden beat the everloving shit of that reptilian fuck.

By the time her squad caught up, she had fractured half of the beast's skeletal structure and left it shaken to the core. It couldn't even stand up anymore. It was running away. Goden had beaten the creature to the point of overexertion. The poison had started to take effect, rendering her feverish and half blind. But she didn't stop. After a brief rest, she crawled towards the beast and joined her comrades in the fray once more.

In the end, Goden was not the one who laid the killing blow. That honor goes to a certain As Tradehall. Nevertheless, her valiant performance has earned her a special place in dwarven history.

The beast's combat report was 18 pages long and consisted mostly of it getting beaten to death with hammers.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52707 on: August 25, 2018, 11:39:58 pm »

Well alright then.
Akur Akir Akam!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52708 on: August 26, 2018, 02:52:01 am »

Well alright then.

I think that might be caused by options used in world generation, one of the ones about unimportant historical figures. I guess their family ancestor wasn't important. Pretty funny though.

Like how your soldiers can show lists of kills where it has "X the goblin" as a notable kill, and "3 goblins" in the other kills section.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52709 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:41 am »

I think that might be caused by options used in world generation, one of the ones about unimportant historical figures. I guess their family ancestor wasn't important. Pretty funny though.

Like how your soldiers can show lists of kills where it has "X the goblin" as a notable kill, and "3 goblins" in the other kills section.

Ah, that makes sense. I think I did have that turned on.
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 ... 3512 3513 [3514] 3515 3516 ... 3839