Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3506 3507 [3508] 3509 3510 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119410 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52605 on: July 25, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »

It might be that exertion can cause a dwarf to go unconscious in some cases (if the dwarf is overweight or out of shape, which they can be), which might trigger the Recover Wounded job.

"Let go of me, you sock! What are you doing?"

"You need medical attention."

"What? No I don't!"

"Obesity is an illness."

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52606 on: July 25, 2018, 06:22:03 pm »

Is it weird that the funniest part of the above post to me was the use of "sock" as an insult? xD
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52607 on: July 26, 2018, 01:05:38 am »

Sock can't be an insult. Everyone knows socks are the most highly prized commodity in dwarven society. "Sock" should be, like, something dwarves whisper to each other in bed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52608 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:13 am »

Ive noticed dwarves occasionally getting hauled off to the hospital too. No idea why
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52609 on: July 26, 2018, 01:20:48 am »

I'm thinking cave spider syndrome is the most likely, I'm intentionally mining marble on the same z as caverns instead of elsewhere to have a safe and easy silk source. Not on the computer right now to inspect him for it,  but a few nets had appeared there already.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52610 on: July 26, 2018, 04:53:45 am »

I was bothered by the relative largeness of my previous microscale repeaters. Multiple z-levels, not taking advantage of relays, still something moving to the naked eye, and generally pretty heavy carts used. Can't I shrink them smaller and lighten the load?

▲▒
║    
╚═▲▒

I can (after some mishaps and discoveries). Four cart five tile(+walls for ramps) cycler.

Want a season change checker? From top to bottom, newest to oldest cart weights 33 (mangrove) - 86 (birch+glumprong log) - 18 (ginkgo) - 103 will do it (tested 100800, 747 westeastward, 100053 northward). Or possibly numerous other arrangements with searching tool around 100798, affected bit by build order. (Though it isn't 100% always accurate and not at all accurate if one tries to keep cart weights within ½ of each other.)

As the cart speeds top at less than half of min roller speed - and they only move on 8 ticks a year - it's pretty safe to plant whenever.

Now, on followed by off two thirds a day later is useful for things like brief targeted fire. But sometimes, I really want month-long toggles for bridges, grates, etc., for stuff like forcibly ejecting people from barracks or zones.
Code: [Select]
Track Ramps/Buildings
╔▒╔═╗ ▲▒╔═S
║╚═╔╝ ║▲═▲^
╚╝═▒  ╚╝▲▒
 ▒     ▒

S being medium friction track stop. Tested, 33600 total length (of which 29 are in the loop outside "L") with cart weights 19-88-30-79 top-to-bottom older to newer (for last cart, any weight from 76 to 80 should theoretically work).

The additional loop and stop are necessary to stop the cart by colliding it with the bottommost wall diagonally. Cart takes 10 steps total on central ramp - ew track - center-west ramp (for the purposes of priming, which can be exact with deconstruct-toggled bridges. In general, leaving 1 ramp tile undug before start is useful way to move carts to tile edges at start).

Estimating downsizing potential and extending it with principles in Larix's eternity clock, it should be possible to make lunar clock with just 6+n mechanisms, 5 minecarts and 1 hatch and 5(day)+26(days)+3(-1 day)+2(relay)+14(moon counter)=50 tiles of track (+walls); much smaller than itg's werebeast clock counting system.

Possibly less, if one gives up ability to target arbitrary days. (n being the number of mechanism one uses to trigger desired thing). But since titans are random and also something you want to bait, there's nothing terribly useful to link to werebeast cycler (bait can be protected from sieges with much smaller seasonal repeater earlier).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:19:30 am by Fleeting Frames »

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52611 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:59 pm »

Jean valjean (Name of dwarf I gave)has committed multiple murders as a vampire and has publicly been punished by javert (My hammerer, just to fit the les mis theme), and yet SOMEHOW is still being re-elected as mayor.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52612 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:43 pm »

Clearly nobody liked those guys he killed.

My fort had a human axeman monster slayer tantrum because he was stressed out. He attacked a couple people and ended up being beaten and later sentenced to 51 days in jail. His emotional state hasnt really improved.

This is a guy who is a complete coward and runs from every critter he encounters and is horrified by all the dead bodies. He is not stable to begin with. A couple of the other monster slayers are stressed out, as well as a couple dwarves, but nobody else has gone and started fist fights because of it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52613 on: July 27, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »

You guys are drowning in visitors and I haven't gotten a single one. I want mercenaries to send on dangerous raids!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52614 on: July 27, 2018, 06:22:41 pm »

I'm currently running a Molvokan settlement to test the current status of the mod and try out features that've been added since last time I was playing.  Had a giant drop by for a visit and pick the wrong random worker to beat up.  She's in the hospital with broken ribs and several mangled joints; the giant suffered severely fatal frostbite, and seems to have left no trace of a body.  I may need to tone down the chilling blood and breathe a bit.

Almost immediately after Ted the Giant Freezer settled into her hospital room, a band of gray langurs rushed into town.  My molvokans took them apart without destroying anything important or setting the forest on fire, and the bodies that aren't burning should be a nice addition to the food supply.  A few citizens got minor cuts and scratches to start their scar collections.  I'm currently constructing an emergency well, drawing on the cavern below the hospital.  It'll be decommissioned once the hospital's main cistern is cleaned out and filled, but that has to wait until the river thaws out.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52615 on: July 27, 2018, 08:37:32 pm »

A crafty Minotaur she was.

She was busy trying to kill one of my speardwarves that she caught alone but he had a good iron helm, so what to do ?
She just removed the helm obviously.

Now that the target of her rampage was unprotected, the Minotaur was going to strike with her powerful weapon ...
... a broken pig tail cap ?
Sure try that and despair when the speardwarf will shrug your cap and spear your face.

Excepted that it didn't went that way, it was horrible because that must have been a powerful broken pig tail cap !

Too bad for her after that feat, 2 military squads coming to the rescue a bit late utterly annihilated her.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52616 on: July 27, 2018, 09:39:12 pm »

[quote author=Fleeting Frames link=topic=15096.msg7816569#msg7816569 date=1532598825
But sometimes, I really want month-long toggles for bridges, grates, etc., for stuff like forcibly ejecting people from barracks or zones.
[/quote]

"Alexa, toss that slacker out of the barracks."
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52617 on: July 28, 2018, 05:38:23 am »

A crafty Minotaur she was.
I imagine this was more just wrapping the cloth around her knuckles and then grazing him with a haymaker.

Cow puns. Moo.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52618 on: July 28, 2018, 11:34:28 am »

I'm slaughtering about 200 animals. I don't want the meat, I just want them dead. It's all piling up faster than my dwarves can handle it and the butcher shop is completely ☼CLT☼. Also, I'm dealing with the aftermath of a goblin siege. Good thing I have a drop chute from surface level to magma, or else this would be much worse.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #52619 on: July 28, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »

Another giant intruded on Dreadsmear; this time, Warlord Shenik of house Ruthless reached the beast before it found any civilians.  The decisive factor in the fight wasn't Shenik's superior size and toughness, or her *steel great axe*.  Her poisonous breathe, less lethal than chilling fog, but swifter acting against a massive creature like a giant, settled the matter.  The intruder gave in to pain before landing a single blow, and Shenik finished it off with a few quick axe-blows to the head.

When the Thin Hex founded Dreadsmear in 300, there were a mere hundred Molvokans known to exist in the world, and most of them were part of a different entity.  But outcasts and lurkers hiding in forgotten corners have streamed into the settlement, and now, in 302, the population is above 80.  This includes a slime-dripping abomination who could kill dozens of other citizens without even noticing, so keeping Khar Menace content and contained, away from anything that might prompt her to spread her devastating poison, is now Dreadsmear's highest priority.

The hospital cistern is full, with three wells drawing from it, so winter's chill no longer threatens Dreadsmear's water supply.  The speaker's residence is almost complete; soon, construction can resume on the Iron Manor.  Sluzhug the Digger has located marble in the lower levels of the first cavern.  As soon as she reaches it, steel production can resume.  Dreadsmear recently had its first visit from an outpost liaison, so the state of the caravans should be improving.  Although our enemies are sure to come calling eventually, so far there's been no contact with any neighbors but the kobolds.  If they don't show up before Dreadsmear's basic defenses and infrastructure are completed, perhaps we shall send out a party to introduce ourselves.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 3506 3507 [3508] 3509 3510 ... 3842