Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3463 3464 [3465] 3466 3467 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092188 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51960 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:05 pm »

And who is Adil Honortrumpets?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51961 on: March 29, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »

I'm about to retire the fort (I'm going to keep a copy of the fort around of course) and investigate Fortunepalace in adventure mode, and hopefully find Adil Honortrumpets. Heck, maybe I'll even try to steal the artifact myself.

I'm very proud of my fort as it is, but I think that it has reached full maturity and there is very little for me to do anymore. I've automated nearly the entire workflow of the fort, and I have almost every industry running. I wouldn't mind living in it, I could take everything for granted :P You know, I wouldn't mind it aside from the fact that I'd be living in DF.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:36:53 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51962 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:15 pm »

I finally got around to making some weapons and rudimentary armor for my militia. Just in time, too; about two in-game days later a web-spitting hill titan showed up.

Web-spitters are nasty. The damn thing wiped out over two-thirds of my entire military. But we managed to kill it, so BrightFuture survives... for now.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51963 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:10 pm »

Well things have certainly become interesting. Not only was my military nearly wiped out from the last siege, which was one of the largest I have ever faced, the goblins have already come back, It's only been like two seasons, not only that it's the largest invasion I have ever seen by far. There's over a thousand creatures in all, I have 30 mostly untrained soldiers, yeah. I think I'm going to lock the gates.

Oh now there is over 1200, ok now it's 1300

Ok 1400, and a few stragglers coming in now and again. I'm very spooked. I'm really regretting not turning the entrance into a drowning trap now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:33:37 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51964 on: March 30, 2018, 06:02:44 am »

On my fortified hamlet , as i use a 2x2 map i have still high fps despite having by now 100 dwarves.
While i was monitoring a quarry in the underground to get more stone to complete a building i had planned, suddenly the framerate was divided by 3 , leading to a very noticable slowdown obviously.

I was wondering what was going on as i was checking an no dwarf was stuck anywhere and there was no animal behind closed doors (as both are usual fps destroyer due to pathfinding going bad)

Then after a while

I already had one like this the year before, it was a squad of 5 or 6 elves.
But considering the very noticable slowdown, i thought it wasn't going to be 5 or 6 elves this time.

So after sending my military out, indeed there was an elven army , they came with some grizzly and some horses.

My dwarves atomised them

But probably half of that elven army and most animals ran away after half of their troops had been utterly destroyed, they finally understood that their super weak wood equipment was only going to get them all killed

My brave dwarves had saved my hamlet fps :D

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51965 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:13 am »

Following up on Adil Honortrumpets after finally retiring the fortress, he has been the mayor of The Gilded Helms for more than 50 years. The Gilded Helms is a child civ of my parent civ, so I guess you could say he had something to do with it.

But you know what? I looked at the artifact in Legends mode, and it turns out, that it was not made in my fort. It was made in Goldclasps, a hillocks controlled by The Relic of Speakers, another child civ of my parent civ, by Urvad Slingbear, who came to my fortress as a resident performer, and eventually applied for citizenship, after which he became a very skilled weaponsmith. But guess what - he is the son of Adil Honortrumpets! So, after all, it did belong to him! I'm going to see if I can accept a quest to deliver it to him in adventure mode. Hopefully the AI that's now in charge of my fortress shows less resistance than I did.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51966 on: March 30, 2018, 09:21:28 am »

Tobul Fortressfinder was the first Queen of my civilization. I did some research before I founded my fort - her eldest son became a Necromancer and still lives in his tower 400 years later. Although she had many other children, few lived long. She coped, it would appear, by competing in armwrestling against the legendary Catten, who had won everything he'd ever competed in. This formiddable dwarf lost only once - to Tobul - before dying of natural causes at the tender age of 80.

I founded my fortress near my civ's original mountain range. Three years in, a child of eleven immigrates called Nim. Meanwhile, the renowned Bed Beater - a dwarf who killed with an artifact emerald bed - was beaten bloody by a troll. The troll came off worse, for though the bed had slipped from Beater's mighty grip, he still managed to bite through the leathery skin of the troll's head, and thus end him. The skeleton lies where it fell to this day.

The fortress, then, needed a new champion. Bed Beater's weapon of choice was now being used as its owner's resting place, supporting his weight as he healed. A new weapon, then, was required as well.

Nim stepped forward. Took a hungryhead's corpse from the cavern floor, and forged it anew into a shortsword. He is only eleven, yet still prepared to fight. The sword is dedicated to his ancestor, Tobul Fortressfinder.

He "likes thrones."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51967 on: March 31, 2018, 01:04:56 pm »

Just had a Dwarf with a mood; a Metalcrafter at that!

Thing is; I haven't struck metal. My only metal reserves are things I melted from trading...

A... Zinc spear? How good is Zinc as a weapon? Apparently it's the 3rd lightest metal in the game... so it would have been useless as a blunt weapon. But this is a spear.

Also; in my Savage Savanna; I've actually been catching wildlife! I have some Ostriches and Giant Wild Boars breeding now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:07:21 pm by Raikaria »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #51968 on: March 31, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

At first glance Zinc has as much edge as iron. This might be a very, very good spear

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51969 on: March 31, 2018, 01:55:43 pm »

At first glance Zinc has as much edge as iron. This might be a very, very good spear
Shear values are what matter, and iron has zinc beaten out by a lot in that regard. MAXEDGE is just the maximum relative sharpness it can achieve, depending on the quality of the weapon - its the same for all metals iirc except adamantine.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51970 on: March 31, 2018, 04:07:15 pm »

Do you at least have a legendary weaponsmith now? If so, it's time to start buying steel anvils. Good steel weapons make a huge difference.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51971 on: March 31, 2018, 04:41:14 pm »

Do you at least have a legendary weaponsmith now? If so, it's time to start buying steel anvils. Good steel weapons make a huge difference.

Yep; got a Legendary Weaponsmith out of it. Shame a Zinc spear is apparently pretty useless. I mean, it's better than nothing.

Weird thing is my site claimed to have metals. Haven't found any metals at all yet. I've at least got a militia wearing Leather Armour and training Wrestling right now to get some basic training in. After I got some basic wrestling training I'll transition to training weapons.

Caravans are bringing very little usable metals; and I don't have that much wood to burn either. Still; the priority with what metals I have will be getting usable weaponry. Even if it's copper or bronze. I'll just ask for metals from the caravan when it shows up.

In other news; the Human caravan led a bunch of Giant Vultures in my cage traps. I have decided; since between Giant Boars; Ostriches and Geese, that I have enough animals for food purposes. So I am going to breed Giant Vultures as pets.

Because having a fort filled with Vultures cannot possibly go wrong. I can just imagine the Goblins showing up and they just see this swarm of vultures.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:43:31 pm by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51972 on: March 31, 2018, 04:55:05 pm »

Make'em war trainable and fearless. The boars too.

In the years to follow, elf and goblin alike developed a fear. A fear, surprisingly, of the skies. For when they saw dwarven banners of war approach, accompanied by the snorting of fell and terrible boars of monstrous size, the skies held circling above them the great vultures of the dwarves.

And they had not come to scavenge the dead. They had come to create them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51973 on: March 31, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »

I got my one true adventurer queen and a second dwarf as militia commander. Unfortunately i havent been getting any more migrants or caravans, its been over a year.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51974 on: April 01, 2018, 02:46:16 am »

that damn FB could climb (or fly?) and got to my probing staircase. needless to say, most dwarves died, before it got lost in my hospital. i locked the doors and walled it in. survivors: 12 of which 4 are children. but yay! migrantwave!
we're burying and finishing the defences.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3463 3464 [3465] 3466 3467 ... 3842