Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3429 3430 [3431] 3432 3433 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096435 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51450 on: January 05, 2018, 03:58:00 am »

A poet hanging out in the tavern has an artifact steel crossbow. Not just a named weapon, but a proper dorvern artifact which the poet mooded himself.

We wants it precious...we need it... :P

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51451 on: January 06, 2018, 03:08:40 am »

A poet hanging out in the tavern has an artifact steel crossbow. Not just a named weapon, but a proper dorvern artifact which the poet mooded himself.

Yep, definitely a poet. Toootally not a soldier of some kind who's been sent to raid your fort for artifacts. Just a regular ol' poet, lugging around a big ol; steel crossbow. It's for sentimental reasons! He's totally not planning on using it.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51452 on: January 06, 2018, 06:21:03 am »

Yep, definitely a poet. Toootally not a soldier of some kind who's been sent to raid your fort for artifacts. Just a regular ol' poet, lugging around a big ol; steel crossbow. It's for sentimental reasons! He's totally not planning on using it.
He really is just a poet, I checked him out. Instrument in one hand and artifact steel crossbow he has no idea how to use in the other.

Don't worry fella, we'll look after that if...something should happen to you...Have you seen our open air temple? Spend some time there. You'll feel much better about yourself.

Hark, is that the sound of beak dogs I hear braying in the wind...?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51453 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:47 am »

After some false starts, I found one of those beautiful river valleys with a huge waterfall leading to a canyon in which the stream widens to a minor river. The view was breathtaking.

That sounds really nice, care to post the seed please?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51454 on: January 06, 2018, 11:15:47 am »

I got a visit from a fire breathing Tundra Titan.

As current DF 44.03 is affected by a bug in which forgotten beast/titans/demons/other bigthings... do not try to attack your fortress and only staying on the edges of your map (fixed in next version fortunately) , i wasn't much worried.

But as it would have just been boringly uneventful to let things stay like that, i mounted an expedition to destroy said beast.
After equipping all my troopers with shields to help against the fire breathing, and my marksdwarves squad staying at a distance, i rushed the beast.

It went badly, oh the beast died, but i only had 2 of my good warriors standing and half my marksdwarves had been burned to death too (i miscalculated "safe range" :D ) .
But more or less worried, the forest was in a raging fire obviously.

As my surviving military went back to my fortress i just remembered , as i had embarked in what was a heavy forest, i fell tons of tree and created lots of wood floors (as roads because from what i remember real roads will cause things moving on them to flicker visually badly) toward version areas of the map edges in order to avoid the "treespam" (as only cutting them is useless as new tree would regrow fast enough without floors preventing that) blocking incoming merchants wagons.

And worse : my whole fortress was built out of that wood too, in order to piss off the elves.

But after looking the raging fire progression something seemed odd, the fire stopped at my wooden floors ?

bug or "feature" ? for once if it's a bug it's one my dwarves can live with :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51455 on: January 06, 2018, 03:25:37 pm »

You can build magma canals out of constructed ice flooring, but natural ice would melt for example

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51456 on: January 06, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »

Got a big idea for a tavern, and implemented the boring part, which consists of a pillar running from the bottom of the canyon to the top. I intend to build the tavern on top of that pillar.

On a grim note, the militia commander was sparring with a swordsdwarf. The swordsdwarf charged, and barrelled over the commander with such force that they both fell through a wall to the other side...

...onto a 30 z level drop onto the frozen riverbed. Both bodies burst on impact.  :-\

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51457 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:07 pm »

Monster Slayer taking his job seriously went off to the edge of the caverns to slay the deadly dust spitting scorpion from hell that was hanging out there. Got his head bitten off.

Other monster slayers seem to be avoiding that area now and focussing on reducing the elk bird population instead...

Roll on patch. Life for monster slayers needs to be more Fun!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51458 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:20 pm »

and with 44.03 and the pedestal fix, it's time to get back into Dwarf Fortress. I can finally just set up pedestals without worrying about the artifacts only being able to be in that one location (and thus paralyzing me from putting anything on a pedestal).

.....which helps me out considerably because I kept selling artifacts, only to savescum and carefully screen what I sold to the convoy.....only to sell a freaking artifact AGAIN.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51459 on: January 07, 2018, 06:29:44 am »

For the second year in a row now, I got the "No outpost liaison? How curious.." message.
My civ isn't dead, and the civ list also still lists the same liaison as last year. He's not stuck up some tree on my map either.
I wonder what's up with that. It started in year 3 of the fort.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51460 on: January 07, 2018, 06:39:30 am »

For the second year in a row now, I got the "No outpost liaison? How curious.." message.
My civ isn't dead, and the civ list also still lists the same liaison as last year. He's not stuck up some tree on my map either.
I wonder what's up with that. It started in year 3 of the fort.
Have you...

• Raided another civ's site?
    Sent your dwarves after an artifact housed in one of your civ's site, thereby raiding it? (Bit of a bug, that.)
    Lost vast quantities of dwarves?
    Made very little of value?
    Traded little of value?

I'm not sure if any that is relevant, but that's all I've got.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51461 on: January 07, 2018, 07:21:27 am »

Nah, it's a brand new fort, I haven't engaged in things like raiding. I've lost one of my initial migrants to old age, no further losses. No combat either. Invasions are set to off.
I made plenty of value, although the second dwarf caravan didn't get as much stuff as could have, still, a few thousands traded and 3 or 4 thousand offered as donation.
Third caravan did leave with plenty of value though.

Really, no idea. Maybe he got turned into a night creature spouse or something, I have no clue.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51462 on: January 07, 2018, 10:39:05 am »

a 30 z level drop onto the frozen riverbed. Both bodies burst on impact.  :-\

Been thinking about this, and am wondering.

Did something change in how lethal falls are ?

In previous versions of Dwarf Fortress, I had as part of the fortress defences, what I called "faerie bridges", a 1-tile wide construction that was built as high up as the z-levels would allow, typically +15 from the ground. These structures also had weapon traps on them, and I included a bunch of training weapon traps, so that high dodge enemies would dodge the trap, into thin air, and plunge the 15 levels to the ground and die, usually splattering on impact.

But in my current game, I've seen some creatures fall 16 z-levels, and all that happened was breaking a bone or two. A werecreature was only stunned by such a fall.

So, are falls less lethal ?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51463 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:31 am »

Yay, the outpost liaison is back after 2 year absence. It's a new one though, I guess the old one took his time croaking.

Wahahahahaa! I can order purring maggot leather from the caravan. My group's name is "the God-Forsaken Maggots of Despair". Guess what I am going to make their clothes out of from now on?

EDIT: Haha this is funny as well. My map has had 5 giant tortoises on it since embark. They are hidden away in their shell. I had made a little trap fence to capture them, but for some reason they refused to get out from under their shield and move again for 4 years.

I just captured them by building a cage trap right underneath them. They just sat there under their shell while a dwarf installed the trap and cage. The moment the trap was finished, BAM!!!, captured.

EDIT: crap, they won't even emerge from their shields after taming. Not even to go sit on their nest box :(
Looks like tortoises are bugged, and can't get out from udner their shield once they hide.
Silly turtles.
Priceless giant tortoise egg roasts soon. I was already selling salt water crocodile egg roasts, they lay nice big batches of around 50 eggs. Not sure if butchering the turtles will yield craftable shells though.

EDIT: well, at least capturing them made room on the map for giant elephants to enter. A nice change of scenery. Been looking at 5 tortoises and a giant sponge for 4 years without any other wildlife entering the map..... wait.. what did I just ... GIANT ELEPHANTS  :D .. Are those war-trainable, or do giant animal versions lose that trait?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:01:49 pm by martinuzz »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51464 on: January 07, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »

a 30 z level drop onto the frozen riverbed. Both bodies burst on impact.  :-\

Been thinking about this, and am wondering.

Did something change in how lethal falls are ?

In previous versions of Dwarf Fortress, I had as part of the fortress defences, what I called "faerie bridges", a 1-tile wide construction that was built as high up as the z-levels would allow, typically +15 from the ground. These structures also had weapon traps on them, and I included a bunch of training weapon traps, so that high dodge enemies would dodge the trap, into thin air, and plunge the 15 levels to the
ground and die, usually splattering on impact.

But in my current game, I've seen some creatures fall 16 z-levels, and all that happened was breaking a bone or two. A werecreature was only stunned by such a fall.

So, are falls less lethal ?

Going by http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gravity and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon#Combat_formulae

What is the landing zone? Less dense floors apparently deal less damage.
I believe the damage calculation is done in such a way, that the landing tile is considered the weapon, moving with momentum of the falling creature.

EDIT: If not rock or metal aready, you may consider paving the floor with lead (or coper).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 3429 3430 [3431] 3432 3433 ... 3842