Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3420 3421 [3422] 3423 3424 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097097 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51315 on: December 20, 2017, 02:07:23 pm »

200 years is not much for getting good books. You'd think 1 generation would be enough but it isn't. 200 years will produce a few great works, and with some luck a few masterworks as well, but the vast majority of books on the dwarven and human caravans will be amateurish, or good but not quite good.
300 years of worldgen and upwards will see more and more great and masterwork books.

In other news: year 12, 26 dwarves, 43 pets and livestock, no guests (those spies that dripped in despite no visitor locations stopped coming after two atom smashings, possibly related to the elf civ declaring war on me).
FPS still at 72 out of 72. Amazing. Caverns not breached. (I have to admit, when the dwarven and human caravans are pathing to and fro my depot, my FPS drops to 68-69)

I suspect my constant clearcutting of the surface trees might be a big contributor, as well as not breaching the cavern with all it's trees.
Sometimes I wish there was a side branch to the DF releases that still had the old 2d trees, for those of us without supercomputers.

EDIT: ofcourse the fact that EVERYTHING in my fortress is neatly quantum dumped into carefully designed mine cart operated quantum stockpiles with take from link only orders, and I have no storage bins or barrels at all also helps a lot.

EDIT: oh one question there: Is it possible to quantum dump stockpiles with filled containers like dye bags, and honey jars?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:17:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51316 on: December 20, 2017, 05:29:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can quantum dump everything besides barrels (For whatever reason never got that to work out well).  I know for sure that you can do bags, as I like having neat dyeing and glassmaking areas.  I have no reason to think honey jars would react any differently.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51317 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »

I've not been able to dump bar/block bins, but I don't know if I did it wrong.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51318 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »

Yeah, Bins don't dump either, but the whole quantum method is basically to rid yourself bins away, since they can be the cause of major job cancellation spam.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51319 on: December 20, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »

Hmmm...

My civilisation is a modded one, it is a civilisation of drows, anyway...

One of my citizens made... "The Wails of Merging", a human bone bed.

On this... bed... is an image of the civilisation's current monarch ascending to the position of monarch.

I'm thinking that this artifact bed would be a most suitable bed for the monarch... heh

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51320 on: December 21, 2017, 12:00:05 am »

Alright, so after many shots of the ballistae, I've come up with: A ton of missed shots, a lot of bruises, two broken ribs, and two chests exploding in gore. This was fired into a room filled with captured dingoes.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51321 on: December 21, 2017, 12:17:41 am »

In the museum in my current Fortress, I selected a crown to put on display.  When it was finally placed on the pedestal it was...well, it had blood on it!

Spoiler: Blood?!?! (click to show/hide)

So I peeked at it....and understood just what had happened.

Spoiler: The Crown (click to show/hide)

You see, there are two Dwarven Civilizations.  Ours...and the others who WE raided and they sent a party to siege us.  Which was easily wiped out and looted.

Their name is "The Square Boots".  This CAME from one of their dead bodies.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51322 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:28 am »

An ambush! Curse them!
Hmm...let's check out who's ambushed us.
4 giant ravens
9 giant flies
19 beak dogs
18 giant gila monsters
And a horse.

Well that's new. I guess the horse is in charge.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51323 on: December 21, 2017, 09:53:21 am »

Noticed several corpses of Sightless popping up in the caverns, amongst massive pools of blood - decided to dig in and have my military investigate. Followed the trail of dead bodies, finding a boatload of crundles.

Then this popped up.

It's body is completely scarred - I can see why, since its been fighting damn near everything in the caverns. Hope this goes well.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51324 on: December 21, 2017, 11:37:08 am »

With my current fort, the latest development within the fort of Townname...  the elves gotten shunned the first time, confiscating all they brought to this fortress.  Apparently, I'm outta range of the goblins, so...  ye be the first enemy, elves.  (Sorry to all who admire elves, which is probably to say very few, but their hypocrisy of older versions has not left my mind.)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51325 on: December 21, 2017, 11:41:05 am »

Disaster struck in Undercity - the forgotten beast was slain, however several Demonbats flew into the caverns.

Their magma breath, along with the syndromes from the forgotten beasts vapors, dropped my population from 32 to 24. While damaged, they managed to leave the map - however, the third cavern layer is completely scorched.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51326 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:26 pm »

A dwarf scholar came by, wrote a book about levers in my library, then left.

???

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51327 on: December 21, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »

A citizen just made an artifact, named after herself. I bet she's real smug about it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51328 on: December 21, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »

I embarked onto an uninhabited kobold cave, so I made it my own.
Some keas went in the cave, and injured our miner.
But he was avenged, as our carpenter killed them all, strangling some of them.
One of the keas was just killed by one of the kobold traps. Going to put one in the entrance to the cave itself.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51329 on: December 21, 2017, 06:14:41 pm »

I just caught a dwarf sleeping in his lover's bed. They're not married yet, they're lovers, but when he went to bed he decided to use the bed in his lover's room instead of his own.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3420 3421 [3422] 3423 3424 ... 3842