Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973082 times)

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5130 on: August 21, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

My fort designed especially to keep the dwarves unhappy was mid tantrum spiral when... "Thikut Idenlar, Leatherworker looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!"

Finally one of the unusual moods!

I watch as he mills around for a bit, then chases after another dwarf, kills him, then tantrums, then goes insane!

Disappointed.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: August 21, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »

Monkeys.  Lots and lots of monkeys.

1st wave shows up in the 1st summer, steals 5 bronze bars.  My dogs did a very good job guarding the wagon, 5 tiles away.
2nd wave shows up next spring, along with a wave of 20+ migrants.  3 of the migrants are hunters, who drop their armor as soon as they step onto the map.  Monkeys raid the armor instead of using the trapped entrance to my fort.  I set a meeting area near the pile of armor and send out my 1 dorf military.  Result: 5 dead monkeys, 1 stolen steel cap.
3rd wave shows up in the fall, and walks into the traps the 2nd wave should have found.  Result: 5 caged monkeys, 2 dead.
4th wave shows up in the spring again, just after the ponds have thawed.  I find out when Urist McFarmer cancels "Plant Seeds".  I'm trying to figure out how the monkeys got inside, when I see one run down into a murky pool, through the water that is 5/7ths deep, and through the door into my farm area. *facepalm*  Fortunately, all of the monkeys tried to escape through the main entrance, past a dozen dogs, their 5 tamed friends, and the black bear I got from the hippies.  None of them made it as far as the *serrated, iron discs* on their way out.
Currently waiting for the 5th wave, and hoping I've properly sealed all other entrances to the fortress.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Durins Bane

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves dug too deep...not big surprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: August 21, 2010, 05:25:27 pm »

Lost a total of 5 dwarves yesterday in my fortress. Two kobold raiding parties appeared outside the fortress, right when my carpenter went out to cut wood. Thankfully he survived, but in my attempts to get him into safety, I let the kobolds into the fortress. Luckily the military was the first thing they saw: Militia commander with an axe, macedwarf with a...mace, and a war jaguar. All of their weapons/armor were copper, not particularly well made, but they absolutely destroyed the kobolds. The only injury/casualty at that point was the Jaguar, who got shanked by a kobold thief and died.

Then, despite all of them dead, I get messages of "Urist Mcfarmer cancels plant seeds: Interupted by kobold spearmen". I look down near the farm, and see 3 kobolds there, two of which are beating two farmers to death. I wondered how the fuck they got past the military, then realized that the channel I dug for the farm went dry, and I didn't lock the door to it. Military went down, murdered the kobold spearmen and swordsmen. Macedwarf got a cut to the chest and a few bruises, and therefore ran off to the hospital, while the militia commander fought the kobold thief. Couldn't hit the thief for his life, and all of its attacks were deflected by the commander's armor. Right at the end, the thief hacked off her right hand and darted back into the tunnel, fleeing the area with another thief that was still outside. Both dwarves made a full recovery, though.

A while later I finally dug a shaft all the way down to an adamantine vein. The shaft was small, but it spanned some 60 zlevels. When we breached the layer with the adamantine, we were on a pillar of rock in the middle of open space, the ground of which was two floors below. Stoneworkers got to work on a floor path to solid ground. After the one finished his work, however, he was ambushed by a Hungry Head, which threw him off the narrow path and down two levels, breaking an arm and a leg. The Hungry Head continued to maul him until the military arrived some time later, killing it and another one that arrived as they did. The stoneworker had innumerable injuries, with many bruises, cuts, and broken bones. Oh, and they also tore off both of his EARS. Somehow, he survived long enough to be brought to the hospital, and actually started to heal.

Then, while the stoneworkers were busy being walls to block off the adamantine from the hostile cavern, a Jabberer managed to sneak into the shaft, where a legendary mason crossed its path. He stood no chance. An armorer, trying to get an ogre corpse far into the cavern, ran into it next, fairing little better then the mason. Finally the macedwarf arrived to fight it, while the one-handed militia commander was sleeping. He put up a good fight, bruising its innards to the point that it was vomiting constantly, but alas was torn to pieces. Luckily, thanks to his efforts, the beast was slowed considerably, allowing all the lemmings that were rushing into the shaft to get their stuff to run back out without incident, and I locked the door to the shaft, containing it until the militia commander woke. By the time she did, it was gone.

The stoneworker who was mauled by the Hungry Heads actually helped build the walls that now hold off the horrors from below, but in his haste to return to the working force, he died of infection in the caverns, after most of his wounds had healed. Maybe his lack of ears had something to do with his inability to rest when the doctor told him. Regardless, the cavern is mostly secure, and we've begun making adamantine objects. The militia commander, who is indefatigable, extremely quick to heal, and very strong, is now outfitted with full adamantine armor and an adamantine short sword.

She is badass.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: August 21, 2010, 05:46:49 pm »

A forgotten beast appeared in the 3rd cavern layer today. I'm using that layer for fishing and harvesting, so I refused to wall it off. I figured it was time to put my military to use.  However, they took forever traveling down to the 3rd layer. During this time the beast managed to crush one of my wood cutters, and he also suffocated the first soldier to arrive. However the rest of the military actually proved to be effective. The slayer of the beast then bestowed a name upon his axe, translating to "The Painful Call". It seems appropriate.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: August 21, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »

...Right at the end, the thief hacked off her right hand and darted back into the tunnel, fleeing the area with another thief that was still outside. Both dwarves made a full recovery, though.

Full recovery? Is this some starfish/dwarf hybrid who just grew her hand back?
Or did dwarven medical science take a new turn in prosthetics?
(I'de like to see peg-leg dwarves and jedi dwarves with metal hands)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:37:36 pm by AngleWyrm »

Durins Bane

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves dug too deep...not big surprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: August 21, 2010, 06:48:34 pm »

...Right at the end, the thief hacked off her right hand and darted back into the tunnel, fleeing the area with another thief that was still outside. Both dwarves made a full recovery, though.

Full recovery? Is this some starfish/dwarf hybrid who just grew her hand back?
Or did dwarven medical science take a new turn in prosthetics?
(I'de like to see peg-leg dwarves and jedi dwarves with metal hands)

By full recovery I meant ignorant of her missing hand. She even describes it as a "minor injury".

Another reason why she is badass.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: August 21, 2010, 11:14:16 pm »

I'm playing Deon's Genesis mod and I've just been ambushed and I've decided to savescum. Not due to the ambush, but due the 1-0FPS speeds (YES IT REALLY SAID 0FPS AT ONE TIME!). I have no idea what's causing the extremely low FPS, since earlier it was above 50 FPS, but I have a feeling it might be the fire.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: August 22, 2010, 12:17:09 am »

Some scaffolding on the mug of my giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress needed to be removed. I have always found it disturbing that dwarven children are allowed to remove constructions.  Up to this point dwarves have always seemed to know enough not to stand on a construction while they remove it, or not finish removing it while someone is on it, but not today! Urist Jr. just fell over 50 z levels, through the digestive system of my megadorf whereupon he splattered into eleventy billion giblets in the middle of the main dining room. This has not been the first death in the creation of my megadorf, but by far the most troubling, you see people keep tracking his blood everywhere on their way to and from dinner, hardly ideal.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: August 22, 2010, 12:39:47 am »

I got the crazy idea to tame the trolls that the goblins brought with them last year when they sieged. This was not such a good idea - tamed trolls, at least ones from goblin sieges, are still hostile, even if they've never actually fought anyone. As soon as my guys went to tie two of them up at the front gate, they got attacked. One dude got strangled to death, and the other got his head caved in. By that time, my military - who I'd told to station themselves on the z-level *above* this, and shoot down at the trolls - were there, wrestling. One of the trolls dodged past them and tried to escape through my trap ring, and was caught ( :o I thought that didn't work on tamed critters? He's definitely in the cage, tho - that's the only troll on my map with a name), and the other one got knocked unconscious before I could really do anything about it, so I let the military keep doing their thing - it's good experience, even if it's experience with the wrong skill.

Just as they were finishing up with the second troll, a kobold thief wandered by... and then wandered just as quickly away. I imagine him coming onto this scene, and going "um... hi... don't mind me, just passing through...".  :D Of course, my guys chased after him, and knocked him unconscious so that he landed in a cage trap. Woo!
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: August 22, 2010, 12:41:56 am »

Some scaffolding on the mug of my giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress needed to be removed. I have always found it disturbing that dwarven children are allowed to remove constructions.  Up to this point dwarves have always seemed to know enough not to stand on a construction while they remove it, or not finish removing it while someone is on it, but not today! Urist Jr. just fell over 50 z levels, through the digestive system of my megadorf whereupon he splattered into eleventy billion giblets in the middle of the main dining room. This has not been the first death in the creation of my megadorf, but by far the most troubling, you see people keep tracking his blood everywhere on their way to and from dinner, hardly ideal.
Technically, your megadwarf should be full of blood anyway. Try splatting more things to speed up the process of painting its innards red.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: August 22, 2010, 01:51:35 am »

A kobold thief just shanked a puppy with an iron dagger.

I cried.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

mellonbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: August 22, 2010, 02:33:03 am »

I cried.

I just butchered all my extra animals in order to improve my FPS.

This is a stack of 5 puppy roasts.  The ingredients are roast puppy kidney, puppy tallow, and minced prepared puppy lung.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: August 22, 2010, 02:40:44 am »

I cried.

I just butchered all my extra animals in order to improve my FPS.

This is a stack of 5 puppy roasts.  The ingredients are roast puppy kidney, puppy tallow, and minced prepared puppy lung.
It was someone's pet...

Right afterwards it walked down to its owners room, sat down in a corner and passed out.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: August 22, 2010, 02:45:52 am »

Things were starting to get calm around Townbrush. The Goblins hadn't launched an ambush in over a year. The Ogres appeared to be wiped out. Even the undead hadn't showed up in a long time, excluding the creatures roaming in the caverns. The wildlife on the surface mostly consisted of Gazelles, which are harmless. So things were pretty easy, which caused me to lower my guard.

Then the damn Darners launched an ambush. They were a custom race I made a long time ago. I thought I had made them incorrectly, so their ambush function didn't work. Apparently it did. They can fly, so all of my defenses were rendered meaningless. The ambush was announced by a Spearman stabbing one of my Dwarves hanging out in the meeting hall, meaning they completley bypassed all of my traps. Then their archers just went crazy, launching arrows everywhere. A lot of Dwarves have been injured, but so far only 1 has died. That's a new record for Townbrush ambushes. Luckily the caravan was entering my fort at the time so they helped clean up the mess. Darners don't wear good armor so they were dispatched easily once they flew in range of the military. Still, the fort is going to be in chaos with all these incapacitated Dwarves for the next few weeks. I already have to many cripples in the hospital. I really don't need more of them, and might have to "euthanize" some of the Dwarves to free up space.

I also discovered something truly absurd. I had decided to try disposing of my prisoners by dumping them into the ocean. I was going to stop doing this since they somehow managed to terrify everyone whilst drowning, but then I realized that doing this is actually dangerous. Apparently, archers can somehow fire their crossbows whilst drowning at the bottom of the ocean. One of the goblins manged to take shots at the kitchen workers whilst briny water filled her lungs. You'd think that would be difficult to manage.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: August 22, 2010, 04:27:56 am »

I'm currently caging enormous numbers of animals in my dining hall, and trying to think of how best to get rid of them. A trip down the volcano sounds like it will improve my FPS.

Additionally, i finally have my massive hauling infastructure beginning to work. I have three stills running full-tilt to make a dent in my massive amount of plants, and to keep me well-stocked after a brief drought left my dwarves drinking bloody water.

Military exists, but I get the feeling they'll be wiped out instantly by the first goblin raid.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 3839