Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972964 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5115 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

I have to agree with that. It's been 5 years since I started this fort and the only two people with personal quarters are the bookkeeper/manager, and mayor, the former because I like having an accurate stockpile count and the latter because she whines a lot. Nobody ever sleeps in their assigned rooms anyway, so it doesn't really matter until toady fixes that.

Anyway, I got my first siege in this fort today, a single spearman squad led by a master lasher on a war tiger. Frightening for the poor dope immigrants I locked outside this spring, not even a single job cancellation from anyone inside the fort. I only have one bridge left to complete and link up when i finally get a break from the migrant/siege combos.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:39:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »

well I just got seriously surprised by the power of spiked wooden ball weapon traps. I set up a single line of 5 traps with no quality mechanisms and 10 low quality spiked balls each, and they just tore the crap out of 10 goblin ambushers, each trap hit one goblin once, and sliced through armor chattering skulls, peircing hearts, and servering limbs... all the goblins died,
Nom nom nom

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: August 20, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »

Just lost a fort to dwarven stupidity.  Several ambushes pop up.  I have traps and stuff to hold them off.  Well one dwarf decides to clean a trap.  AMBUSH!  So instead of running back INTO the fort he decides to run OUTSIDE.  So naturally he get's killed.  OMG!  KILLED DWARF!  WE MUST RECOVER ALL HIS BELONGINGS RIGHT NOW!  So yeah, all my dwarves dart out of my nice, cozy, SAFE fort into the loving arms of a couple dozen goblin archers.

There's probably some way to avoid this using burrows or something.  I suppose I could have forbidden everything on the surface.  But I really shouldn't have to.  This is dwarven idiocy at it's worst.  I really wish we still had the stay indoors option.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:35 pm »

The noble research project is ongoing...up to the duchess with the king on the way.  Nobody else has showed up yet, but they may be contingent upon the arrival of the king.

I'll also need to take care of some humans after their diplomat mysteriously died on my embark (and his replacement showed up, successfully met with the baron, and left...).  Other than that, just cranking out wealth and upgrading my troops with adamantine armor.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:31 pm »

well I just got seriously surprised by the power of spiked wooden ball weapon traps. I set up a single line of 5 traps with no quality mechanisms and 10 low quality spiked balls each, and they just tore the crap out of 10 goblin ambushers, each trap hit one goblin once, and sliced through armor chattering skulls, peircing hearts, and servering limbs... all the goblins died,

Yea serrated disks and spike balls can be devastating in large numbers.  Serrated disks and spiked balls each hit 3 times.  So theoretically with a trap that has 10 of them...that's 30 hits.  And considering that even a single serrated disk made of half decent materiel can cut through armor like butter and is easily capable of severing limbs...yea....

My fortress has a single high quality adamantine disk attached to a artifact mechanism in a weapon trap in front of the fortress.   The goblins usually don't live stepping on that tile until it jams up on bodies.  Fortunately for them it's only one tile of a 3 tile wide hallway.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:52:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:22 am »

Yea serrated disks and spike balls can be devastating in large numbers.  Serrated disks and spiked balls each hit 3 times.  So theoretically with a trap that has 10 of them...that's 30 hits.  And considering that even a single serrated disk made of half decent materiel can cut through armor like butter and is easily capable of severing limbs...yea....

My fortress has a single high quality adamantine disk attached to a artifact mechanism in a weapon trap in front of the fortress.   The goblins usually don't live stepping on that tile until it jams up on bodies.  Fortunately for them it's only one tile of a 3 tile wide hallway.

From what I've seen you shouldn't expect any goblins to get past that trap until it jams.  I've found a single 3x bronze disc trap is enough to cut any goblin to shreds.  So any more than a single adamantine disc in a trap is just a waste of resources.  What you need to worry about is the traps getting jammed and your dwarves deciding to clean them at the worst possible time. (see my earlier post)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:11 am »

OMG!  KILLED DWARF!  WE MUST RECOVER ALL HIS BELONGINGS RIGHT NOW!

Well...  valid in Boatmurdered's era, but now all you have to do is "o-F-i" as soon as you embark.  (The o menu is the first thing you should access, IMHO.  Insert dirty joke here.)

You can't blame them for it any more now; it's your fault for not overriding their obsessive/compulsive nature and pathological greed/need to stockpile.

And it's not like d-b-? is that hard, either.  (I mean, once you find the wiki and drag yourself up the learning Cliffs of Insanity by the stumps of your raw and bleeding fingers.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: August 21, 2010, 01:02:19 am »

I mean, once you find the wiki and drag yourself up the learning Cliffs of Insanity by the stumps of your raw and bleeding fingers.

I have never seen that phrased quite so well before. Yes, that sums it up perfectly.

EDIT: right. On Topic. My fort.
In my fort we have almost gotten the magma gargoyle fountain working. I hope to set it up connected to an automated obsidian-farm (automated in that it shuts itself off, and is reuseable after mining out.) Pretty.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:03:59 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: August 21, 2010, 04:27:16 am »

What's going on in my fortress? Pretty much nothing seeing as everyone just completely slaughtered in a Goblin ambush, because they bypassed my traps and I didn't do any military. So yeah, Lancerdangle was completely overrun and was just laughing my ass off because I suck so much at DF.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: August 21, 2010, 04:43:37 am »

No need for a military, just have a few cage traps behind your weapon traps (or in front of them, if you would rather capture the goblins than kill them).
Diggy diggy hole.

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: August 21, 2010, 05:04:31 am »

I did. But apparently I didn't have enough. I caught three of the Gobbo's, rest massacared my fort. But it was still a fun laugh, though.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: August 21, 2010, 06:22:56 am »

One of my marksdwarf (and expert gem cutter) moodied... I just noticed he's sitting in jail :D. I hope, that removing chain frees him AND nobody puts him in jail again, At least until he finishes his artifact.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: August 21, 2010, 02:03:39 pm »

There's probably some way to avoid this using burrows or something.  I suppose I could have forbidden everything on the surface.  But I really shouldn't have to.  This is dwarven idiocy at it's worst.  I really wish we still had the stay indoors option.
If ypu are too lazy to figure out burrows, this is your problem (and your steaming piles of dwarven corpses). Burrows are superior in every way to "stay indoors". Civilians can stay exactly where you want them, be it entire fort without entrance, or one emergency room deep inside, or anything in middle. No more entrance dance. Work only in one place, only with this stockpile. And I did not even mentioned non-civilian uses to burrows...

And about my fort... military in 31.x is goddamn hard to train and equip (not to mention retarded bugs with "cannot follow order" for no apparent reason, especially for marksdwarves that almost never shoots in archery). First ambush and half of them buthered. I know iron is not steel or even bronze, but still. -.-

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: August 21, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »

In the two years since I tamed the original 9 Foxes (3 Vixens, 6 Dogs) they have given birth to 12 kits. Not a single cub has grown up yet, but once they do I'll have 7 new Vixens and 5 Reynards (such fun interesting variations in the gender/age attribute naming schemes) for a total of 10 Vixens and 11 Dogs. The population will really take off then. The skulk is just...erm, skulking about the Meeting/Statue Garden/Zoo room. There's enough of them that they're starting to expand outside the doors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Foxes are out-reproducing the Cats!

Granted, I'm not slaughtering the Fox pups, but still: a casual evaluation of birthing trends indicates ~1 kitten born in a "litter" to the norm of 3 kits to a fox litter. Furthermore, I rarely see more than one kitten litter per year, despite having multiple females. A peek at the raws don't explain the disparity. As far as I can tell, Cats and Foxes should be reproducing at the same rates.

The raws themselves for Foxes and Cats are quite similar; the real notable differences affecting the game are that cats move around the fortress of their own volition, hunting vermin, while the foxes seem content to mill about the meeting room. Great news for my framerate, as the path-finding for the short distances a fox travels in milling about are much easier than the ranges the cats go. Furthermore, the foxes have higher pet values that the cats, although I have yet to see any dwarf adopt a fox while a number of them have snapped up a few kittens before I could even get around to slaughtering them. Very peculiar...

Perhaps I'll regear a portion of this Fortress to study Zoology in Dwarf Fortress...

I'm considering looking into the inheritance mechanics of birth. The relatively simple set of attributes displayed by the foxes is pretty easy to track and the volume of births is giving a nice sample size. Is the assignment of attributes to young entirely random or are attributes of children/pups in DF actually be influenced by the attributes of the parent? As I understand it, in animals, no actual coupling occurs so the attributes would only be assignable from one parent. I must think of some ways to test these things...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: August 21, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »

I just suffered an amazingly pitiful loss. My entire army, my entire fortress, was defeated by a bunch of loonies on war tigers and grizzly bears. The only three people left alive are an Erush, an insane farmer, my new mayor, Ushat, a farmer that was knocked off a bridge during the fight and swam to safety on the other side of the walls, and her eldest son, Ducim. None of them have access to the food stockpiles, but luckily none of the orcs' mounts are building destroyers. They might survive long enough for the orcs to leave so I can let them in/out/where the food is.
Our only kills for the fight were five war animals and the axe lord that couldn't swim...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:38:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 3839