Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969658 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5100 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:22 am »

Forgotten beast composed of steam just arrived.

My wrestler armed with shortsword stabbeb it to its body and it was cut in half.

Thats it.

Btw, why I don't get messages about "struck down" anymore? Not even the combat report sayd anything about the FB been struck down. Dorfs cause those messages just fine but aren't megabeast supposed to cause those too? At least in combat reports?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:03 am »

Just had me Exped leader create an artifact donkey bone floodgate. And all it took was 72 bones....

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:10 am »

Well I have embarked in a new area, and so far am down to 3 Dwarves before the even the first Migrant wave.  I am desperately trying to avoid the mini tantrum spiral waiting for some fresh meat to arrive to continue with the project.

EDIT:  Well I have received 4 migrants, putting me back up to 7 Dwarves.  Things are looking better!  In other news, the 14x14x4 well (that killed 3 Dwarves due to cave ins while I was making it) is finished.  All my dwarves have engraved quarters (to avoid tantrums), and I have hundreds upon hundreds of fish.  I guess it it finally time to move everybody underground!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:44:23 am by Still Standing »
Diggy diggy hole.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: August 20, 2010, 10:30:26 am »

begining the pump stack oporations to get some all-year-round drinkable water to my trainwreck of a fort. This water also functions as my rivers, which have decided to run dry. Unfortunatly due to my mining operations being a  teensy bit too small, just so I don't get invaded by whatever lives in the cavern layers, I'm going to have to mine very carfully aroudnd my shafts and put a lot of thaught into it's planning. I'm thinking waterwheel power will be nice for most of the pumps.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »

I just had a horrifying thought. You know all those stone earrings and stuff dwarfs are always making as artifacts? What if they're NOT chiseling a huge rock down into a tiny earring? What if, instead, they are simply attaching a little hook to a huge dwarf-sized boulder and calling it an earring?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: August 20, 2010, 12:40:42 pm »

OH GOD SPIDERS.

For some inane insane dwarfly reason I modded the Giant Cave Spiders, but removed the Cave and made them much more common.  I also gave them the ability to breed.

I now live in perpetual fear of a male and female Giant Spider existing on my map at the same time, chilling for a few seasons, and then going KEKEKEKEKEK SPIDER RUSH on my poor dwarves' behinds.

But if we can survive the initial wave, Spidertown will be a wonder of the era.  All will bow before our glamorous silk clothing!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »

I just had a horrifying thought. You know all those stone earrings and stuff dwarfs are always making as artifacts? What if they're NOT chiseling a huge rock down into a tiny earring? What if, instead, they are simply attaching a little hook to a huge dwarf-sized boulder and calling it an earring?

genius. added to sig.
This is a blank sig.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: August 20, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »

The average rock weighs ~100-150 kg, the earring weighs <1 kg. Myth busted.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »

So where does the other 99-149 kg of stone go when a dwarf makes an earring? :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5109 on: August 20, 2010, 04:51:55 pm »

It's used to create "menace".

What you thought "menacing" just grows on trees?!
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: August 20, 2010, 05:04:49 pm »

It's used to create "menace".

What you thought "menacing" just grows on trees?!

Of course not! Only inferior Tree Menace grows on trees - he menace made from the rest of a LOG used to make earrings.
We are talking about Stone Menace here. Superior product.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: August 20, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »

Btw, why I don't get messages about "struck down" anymore? Not even the combat report sayd anything about the FB been struck down. Dorfs cause those messages just fine but aren't megabeast supposed to cause those too? At least in combat reports?

Either \data\init\announcements.txt has been changed so the message no longer appears, or, FAR more likely:  A bunch of announcements have been spammed at the same time, and DF being DF, the one it chose to display is something about someone canceling "clean self" instead of the purple one about the FB eating its way through your workshops.

This happens especially even if you do see the message about a death--odds are good a bunch of other dorfs bit it, but there was only room to display the one announcement.

You can change the amount of space used to display announcements, IIRC.

[ETA] Also, I don't think you have the option of discriminating between causes of death...  f'rex, you CAN make the game pause, pop up a box, and center on a pet death, and it makes a really good early warning system when that stray kitten falls victim to the FB or ambush, but it'll also do the same thing every time you slaughter a tame animal.

[ETA2] edited for fail
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:27:13 pm by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: August 20, 2010, 07:33:49 pm »

Embarking upon a new area to test something out with good old Goblins.  According to the Wiki removing the BABYSNATCHER tag from the Goblin entities will force them to send sieges instead of snatchers, meaning sieges in the first year.  So in my current fort I am digging meagre shelters and hastily constructing protective walls before I seal myself inside, at least until I have built myself my first real weapon!
Diggy diggy hole.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

Got the workshop level all cluttered with booze barrels around the still.  >:( Damn dorfs! Get that shit to the piles, plz.
Immigrants keep pouring in, and digging them all rooms is bringing my miners close to a nervous breakdown, while my butchers works hard at culling all the pets vermin they bring.

The brighter side of things: I just slayed my first FB:
Quote from: Dorf Fortress
"A great skinless sauropod. It has three stumpy tails and it is ravening.
Beware its webs!"

...and my militia got so excited they gave their captain a nickname. The captain in turn fell in love with his *Steel Battle Axe* and gave that a name as well.  :)
For the first time in 2010 I've actually got military that can both give and take some punishment without loosing limbs.

Meanwhile in the dungeons, ten caged goblin thieves are about to have it on with an ettin I captured a few years back. Any bets?

I might actually play this fort for a while, at least I haven't gotten bored or dreamt up a better general design yet.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: August 20, 2010, 08:16:29 pm »

Immigrants keep pouring in, and digging them all rooms is bringing my miners close to a nervous breakdown

All 99 citizens of my fort share a "dormitory" that consists of nineteen beds in a dirt hallway.  >_>

They will not get rooms until they prove themselves worthy, and when they do, Mayor Tigerwoman will get hers first.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 3839