Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969606 times)

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5085 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:40 am »

Somehow a bunch of dwarves and a dog managed to leave pools of blood lying around just from moving some stones out of a small pit. Maybe they were particularly sharp rocks or something.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 19, 2010, 05:09:15 am »

Dwarf Fortress blood is a sentient, self-replicating entity.  It's not restrained by the laws of physics and is capable of infinite growth.

My blood infestation isn't as bad as others, but it's still everywhere aboveground, including in my cistern ALONG WITH THE BLEEDING DWARF.

He has a traction bench waiting in a hospital zone, but nobody will move him.  A trapper keeps applying casts but none of them work; I'm thinking I'll just flood it anyway.  If he wants to live, he'll move.  :P

I'm loving Mayor Tigerwoman, though.  <3
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 19, 2010, 10:01:28 am »

that sounds.... creepy and wrong.
Nom nom nom

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 19, 2010, 10:04:09 am »

that sounds.... creepy and wrong.

He has a catgirl ruling the fortress. Deathworks would be proud.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:58 am »

I wanna name her Baroness.  =3

There's also a wild Tigerman female on my map right now, but she's not going for the cage traps...  I'll prolly never know if the gobbos will steal feral/wild tigercubs.

In other news: got a legendary blacksmith now via one of the lamest moods I've ever seen (a platinum splint?!), and I've finally got the cistern walled in (needs ceiling for cosmetics/paranoia) and my irrigation system going...

Year five is almost over, the population is 99 not counting the tigerpeople, and...  Aside from foraging and having a small strawberry plot for a little while at the beginning, I've never farmed in this fort.

I have 2550 units of booze and 1484 prepped meals.  >:\  Way too easy.  May embark on a desert/glacier when I get bored here.
7+7

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:13 am »

15 year "all mandates met" streak ended by new mayor who mandated "native silver" items. I didn't have any.

Random dwarf got 100 days in prison instead of death fortunately.

Tower is coming along nicely, if a bit slow. The lower half is constructed from green glass blocks as well as green and clear glass windows. The floors show up white in stonesense but green in-game. The tower so far has 8 floors, with an office and dining room per floor for each noble. Above that will be a big clear glass layer or two with public dining rooms. And on top will be more offices and a penthouse with another dining room. I'll probably go with clear glass for the rest of the floors, unless I find a vein of gold or platinum or something.

Spoiler: DwarfCorp Tower (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I have quite a few clear glass windows to make in order to finish the lower floors.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 19, 2010, 11:00:02 am »

There's also a wild Tigerman female on my map right now, but she's not going for the cage traps... 

Trying to build a harem? xD

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 19, 2010, 11:04:29 am »

So get this. I just opened up my long-lost copy of 40d and found a world already genned. I asked the finder for a site with flux, magma, an underground river, a chasm, and HFS, then moved it over a little to get more flux, soil, and trees.

Upon embark the underground river that travels across the whole map was exposed to the surface at one small point. SCORE.

And upon checking in Visual Fortress I discover that I have forfeited magma for more grassland. I guess the proper thing to do is to train an army and go for the magma in the HFS, fighting off the hordes of &s and their & leader.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5093 on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

I betrayed my promise not to cut more than 115 trees by about 120 trees... Then I ordered my military to surround the next elf merchant group and when everyone was in place a gave attack order.

Now my trade depot is covered with elf blood in honour of armok.

Hopefully the elfs siege me because it has been way too quiet lately and its getting boring. (Goblins died during worldgen  :-\ )
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:10 am »

Im being besieged by a bunch of goblins and whatnot.

One is on a cave swallow (a giant one of course). However, they dont seem to be doing anything. They are just sitting uncomfortably close to my entrance! I have two axelords encased in steel as my defense, and a catapult. Hahaha, oh dear.

Edit: Oh dear indeed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:03:23 pm by Mudcrab »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 19, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »

This year has been... odd.
Mandrills! Mandrills everywhere! My militia commander drowned when he jumped off the bridge to fight one, then decided to go for another. Since then I'm proud to announce the swimming program has cured this problem by making the majority of the fort (the entire military) water-safe swimmers.
However, said swimming program resulted in the death of a baby when she was washed up on top of a statue and completely unnoticed for months when I performed the opening of the doors incorrectly. Didn't even notice until i got the message that she'd died of thirst.

30-35 migrants came over the spring and summer, I despise the idea of letting my pop go above 50 so I locked them out, I still need to come up with a quicker way of killing them since I missed the caravan waiting for them to finally die, and I actually let the 2 remaining ones in, since they were able to survive on rodents and aren't yet insane.
The metal industry burned out already, I can't produce enough fuel at the moment to keep things going non-stop, so it'll have to be micro-managed even more.
All the walls are finished though, hurray! All that's left is to construct and link up the bridges, set up traps, and build the numerous guard towers.

And unfortunately I won't be able to get a foomen mayor or leader any time soon, so I guess I'll just have to deal with this blubbering idiot's demands for tables... So many tables...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »

This is my first report on my latest experimental Fortress: Furnace of Executioners.

Placed in a world covered in forests, where not even the copious amounts of Titans and forgotten beasts could keep the elf populations down. Humans have long gone extinct and goblins are on the brink; only the Dwarves, hold up a few great fortresses have survived the relentless Titans, harsh weather, and endless Elven Tree embargoes.
[Large image of the current world]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Having endured to the year 1200, various enterprising dwarven colonies have sought to rid the world of elves one town at a time, either through undermining them or through occult deals with the underworld with the hopes of sealing the results later. What few successes were had proved far more difficult to contain than killing the elves themselves.

It wasn't long until it was suggested that a mighty fortress should be built in the far mountains of the central lands of the elves. Rather than go from town to town, murdering the Elves and spending upwards of 8 years "liquidating residual problems," the elves would be drawn to a single location and systematically eliminated.

Thus, the concept of The Furnace Of Executioners (F.O.E.) was born.

The goal is to be a volcano-centered, lava-spewing, Elf murder machine. Granted, not the most original goal, I know. I doubt I can even actually influence the world elf populations from Fortress mode, but still. Anyways, things are progressing quite nicely. I'm up to a barony, and I've been experimenting with the volcano magma the fort is centered around.

Best of all, I've come up with the perfect mascot for the fortress! I have decided to capture and tame the fox populations. After all, what better choice that an animal with name that can serve as a second valid acronym for Furnace Of eXecutioners? So, I have captured 9 foxes (3 Vixens and 6 Dogs) in the hopes of breeding them. EDIT: Ah, the first litter was born, with 3 pups in it! :D EDIT2: Err, Litter#2 also with 3 pups! (6 pups + 9 adults; 3 adult Vixens 3 pup Vixens... this could get out of control fast!  ;D )

In addition, I have decided the lava flow from the volcano device shall flow from the mouth of a gigantic stone fox head; a megaproject built right onto the side of the rather steep mountains.

While the masons take their sweet time with that, I've employed dozens of miners to dig channels all the way from the top of the mountain to the ground floors and each of the farthest sides of the mountain, to separate it from the rest of the range and ensure invaders will have to attack us from the magma-vulnerable ground. The sheer amount of channeling required here is nearly a mega project in and of itself. This is going to be a long one...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:08:44 pm by DrGravitas »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »

There's also a wild Tigerman female on my map right now, but she's not going for the cage traps... 

Trying to build a harem? xD

Trying to ensure that no dwarf is ever elected again, ever.  >:3

In other news:  Still no functional metal industry because I can't get to the magma, and I had to savescum in deep disgrace after the Mother of All Sieges descended upon me.  (Two pages of axemen and a hammerlord.  All mounted.  All.  Rutherers and elk birds and about four voracious cave crawlers and bats and GCSs and...  it ended...  poorly.)

Time to frantically smelt iron and spam cage traps.
7+7

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 20, 2010, 06:43:53 am »

A single grimeling killed four of my starting dwarves and a dog.

Plus, I couldn't even get some weapons produced, because it kept interrupting the process. Wrestling needs to have a way to actually kill things, seriously.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 20, 2010, 07:00:14 am »

It's bigger than your dwarves, though. "Grimeling" would seem to indicate something like a gremlin, small and annoying, but this thing is more like the Swamp-thing than a gremlin.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 3839