Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3383 3384 [3385] 3386 3387 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100875 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50760 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:18 am »

And here I thought that remained untested.

Could be, I couldn't even find the post in question so I'm relying my shaky memory of the thing. Maybe the cause was only speculated?

Taste?

Oh, no. No no. Let's not go there.

"Hmmm... salty... saltier... PHUAARFF OH GOD ok back just a bit..."

God damn it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50761 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:20 am »

I'll have to check if caged dragons are available for purchase the next time the caravan shows up.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50762 on: October 09, 2017, 03:50:08 pm »

I'll have to check if caged dragons are available for purchase the next time the caravan shows up.
I wonder what would precisely be the best 'goods' to do this trick with?
And by that, I mean worst. And by that, I mean best.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50763 on: October 09, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »

Just started out a new fort after a long hiatus and no-one has died yet.

Then again I don't think it's even been a month yet (I didn't think to check the time), but all the same, no-one's dead yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #50764 on: October 09, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »

A Hungry Head was staggering around the third cavern with a silver crossbow bolt stuck into its head, probably left there from some confrontation with passing mercenaries. Mason Degėl Ringweight happened by and charged the hapless creature outright. In a shocking display of brutality Degėl ripped off the bolt from the Hungry Head's head and started stabbing the beast with it until it bled out from its wounds. Yes, it could have caused some danger at some point but that amount of violence was uncalled for... I'll probably have to look into some anger management courses for Degėl.
I saw that same thing happen in Bastiongate. Dwarves are hardcore in this version.

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50765 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:43 pm »

I just started a fort and I'm two years in now.
I generated a world from the World Gen Cookbook thread and I have an interesting setup.
Two migrant waves that have sent my way to total the number of dwarves to 19, but only two waves. Subsequent waves had yielded no migrants.
I also have not been attacked by any invaders and have not had the ability to trade at all yet.
I checked the civilization menu, and my dwarvan civ was the only one on the list, but the leader of my fort isn't a king/queen so I assume there is another dwarven fort out there the simply refuses to visit me (I haven't checked legends mode to confirm though).
I also, have not experienceed any strange moods from any of my dwarves I assume because I don't have a minimum population in my fort.

So this fort is a little boring, but it's eerie, quiet, and different than any other I've ever played, so I'm going to keep going and see where it takes me.
Another good thing about the fort is after two years I haven't dropped a single FPS point. A nice perk!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50766 on: October 10, 2017, 10:32:56 pm »

I just started a fort and I'm two years in now.
I generated a world from the World Gen Cookbook thread and I have an interesting setup.
Two migrant waves that have sent my way to total the number of dwarves to 19, but only two waves. Subsequent waves had yielded no migrants.
I also have not been attacked by any invaders and have not had the ability to trade at all yet.
I checked the civilization menu, and my dwarvan civ was the only one on the list, but the leader of my fort isn't a king/queen so I assume there is another dwarven fort out there the simply refuses to visit me (I haven't checked legends mode to confirm though).
I also, have not experienceed any strange moods from any of my dwarves I assume because I don't have a minimum population in my fort.

So this fort is a little boring, but it's eerie, quiet, and different than any other I've ever played, so I'm going to keep going and see where it takes me.
Another good thing about the fort is after two years I haven't dropped a single FPS point. A nice perk!
1) Goblin invaders siege trigger is population 80 (no wealth triggers). Can be adjusted mid-save if you need some excitement. Check the wiki (creature token).
That won't guarantee sieges of course, if all the goblins are dead they won't come and attack you.

2) Zombies might come anytime if you had a tower listed as one of your neighbors when you embarked. Did you?

3) Civilisation screen is meaningless. It only lists the civs this fortress has actually encountered.

"Subsequent waves had yielded no migrants": What does this mean? You had a wave of horses or something?

Best to check Legends mode if you're interested in where your immigrants are. If your population is low, there won't be any more, but they can get stuck due to bugs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:35:01 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50767 on: October 11, 2017, 12:14:26 pm »

Well there goes my streak of successful moods  :'( This dwarven child went into a mood at the worst possible time, during a surprise weremammoth attack. Yeah, weremammoth, you read that right, I wasn't screwing with that nonsense. So this poor dude is just sort of melancholy now. Tis sad.

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50768 on: October 11, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »

1) Goblin invaders siege trigger is population 80 (no wealth triggers). Can be adjusted mid-save if you need some excitement. Check the wiki (creature token).
That won't guarantee sieges of course, if all the goblins are dead they won't come and attack you.

2) Zombies might come anytime if you had a tower listed as one of your neighbors when you embarked. Did you?

3) Civilisation screen is meaningless. It only lists the civs this fortress has actually encountered.

"Subsequent waves had yielded no migrants": What does this mean? You had a wave of horses or something?

Best to check Legends mode if you're interested in where your immigrants are. If your population is low, there won't be any more, but they can get stuck due to bugs.
1) I didn't know there was a pop minimum for sieges as well. thanks!
2) I'm pretty sure I embarked far away from any other fort, tower, or town.
3) Didn't know this either! Thanks for the info.
4) What should be a migrant wave is listed in the announcements as: "The fortress attracted no migrants this season."

Also I opened Legends and please correct me if I'm wrong but:
-I forgot to tell you, two dwarves in my fort had a baby totaling the population to 20
-There is no current king of the Dwarven civ (bug or intended idk)
-There are no other Dwarves in the world to migrate to my fort
-There is a human civ with which to trade, but they're avoiding me for some reason.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50769 on: October 11, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »

lestmurphy: Sounds almost exactly like my current fort, except I also have elves. I'm pretty sure our civilizations are quite dead, we will never have more migrants. If nobody picked up the mantle of king/queenship right away then that'll probably never happen here. We won't get barons, etc., without a dwarven emissary to complete the paperwork. So hooray no lazy nobles?

In my fort the humans didn't trade until the third summer. I'd have to double check what the actual triggers are.

With patience you can use this quiet time to build that extravagant public "art" you've been secretly yearning for, eh? I almost envy 19/20 – with only thirteen I'm finding I have little dwarfpower to divert from quotidian tasks to interesting projects.

Edit:
Got it, the human trade trigger is 500 dwarfbucks of exported goods. Ooh, so if you don't have any other partners they'll never come. Now I'm not envious any more.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:33:08 pm by mightymushroom »

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50770 on: October 11, 2017, 08:01:32 pm »

Thank you for the information!
I love the community here. :)

govod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50771 on: October 12, 2017, 01:56:01 pm »

Would giving dragons to a caravan result them being freely available as trade goods after that? I seem to remember the game handling them a bit funnily, in the lines of "if the civ possesses even one of x, an infinite amount of x will be available through caravans." IIRC there was a case of caravans arriving with bags of magma after a minecart full of magma was sold to them.

The magma bag issue has at least been reported: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9267 Since I don't want to start any big projects before the next release, I've just been dorfing around and testing various things. (If anyone has some ideas for things I could try in the game, I'd be happy to conduct small or even tiny !science! experiments.) I wanted to see if I could also get fiery caravans by selling them iron minecarts full of magma but so far they haven't brought any back. I've also sold all sorts of plants, seeds and animals (both elf-bought and self-trained, surface and underground varities), but I can't say I see any correlation with the stuff the dwarf caravan brings the following years. It's a pity, but in a way I understand; it could make obtaining rare stuff too easy. I'd still like to see the mountainhome expand their crop variety with biome-suitable seeds when I send them some, same with animals. If/when the economy is brought back to the game, I'd want a system where trade routes would determine not only what you can get from caravans but also the price. Rare goods from the other side of the continent, having passed through several hands, would be worth a fortune, and so on.

As for the current fort, well, I couldn't pass up these two books on sale:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor author didn't have a very good day? I hope that flask solved his, ahem, sticky situation. It also made me think: what adhesives does vanilla DF even have? I guess plaster powder, sorta? (As I'm typing this, the author actually decided to visit my library, how nice.)

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50772 on: October 14, 2017, 05:16:58 pm »

Had some babies, and was up to 24 dwarves for a time being until Ingish became possessed and the fort didn't have any silk. Since he was my only melee dwarf with any military skill to speak of, the other citizens walled him in as a precaution. He went insane and died shortly there after. First death in the fort. Back down to 23 dwarves.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50773 on: October 14, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »

Well, I'm running some sort of ridiculously safe fortress in a crazy pocket world again cause I'm on a tiny laptop with too little power to run my usual world type. For some reason, 94 dwarves and a million wealth or so (goooooold), no attacks yet. This world is a Pocket world with over a thousand various evil creatures: vampires, secret types, night trolls, titans and megabeasts, semimegas ... yeah.
Civilization is destroyed. My civ was dying until this last year when we got a Liaison (queen is in the fort, rooms loaded with gold to make her happy), guess it's looking up? No contacts besides my civ. Nothing else EXISTS lol. However, NOTHING has come for me except a giant bird that mauled a dwarf. Broke his leg, I didn't even notice him getting treated lol but he's fine.

This fort has been threatened by nothing but overseer stupidity (oh .... the booze is gone again? Whoops... dehydrated dwarves all over the mines). Probably going to HFS cause the world is so peaceful, must've had some sort of megabeast Armageddon out there reducing their own numbers. ... no creatures, no invasions, a couple kobolds who run at the sight of the dogs atop the volcano. Did I mention the volcano? It has half of its rim a tile above the other half, and I've dug the fortress into that side of the mountain (who wouldn't?), to utilize magma smelters etc. Beneath this is an absolute PILE of gold to dig up. I feel like Erebor. Lots of gems too, no elves or humans though, megas got those guys In a Time Before Time. So ... piles of gold crap in the royal rooms and statue garden, etc. etc. Weapons grade metal came with me - running ridiculous embark points to speed up getting started for fun. So I've been taking iron and forging it into pig iron and steel, but I don't know that I'll need it xD. Creates LOOOTS of metalworker moods because of all the low-levels running around working on stuff to get it done. The latest one grabs a gold bar, logs ... and sits there til I run THE QUEEN to the caverns to get a piece of spider silk (silk cloth, NOT yarn cloth, oh no, that's not good enough - blasted picky dwarf). Most of the season later ... we've filled his requirements for TWO stacks of bones and we get ...

A Gold Splint. Decorated with spikes of sheep wool, an image of a cut gem of some sort in wood, bands of cassiterite, and loads of other crap.

Jerk.

Sorry for the bad writing it's almost 1am here and I've been up awhile lol.
Also text wall.
 :D

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50774 on: October 15, 2017, 12:17:45 am »

My militia captain was the choosen one to set a trap to capture the cave spider so I could set up a silk industry. The cave spider was too clever for my dwarf though and bypassed the trap and headed straight for my dwarf as he was aiming for the exit of the cavern. The cave spider intercepted my elite marksman who had no gear on him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3383 3384 [3385] 3386 3387 ... 3842