Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966024 times)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5070 on: August 18, 2010, 07:08:53 am »

just started a new fort because the computer with the old one stopped working.

unfortunately I named my group Twinkle the Suicidal pick. About ten minutes in one of the miners decided to flush himself out of the farming area and take a 3 z-level plunge into the river where he drowns. Shortly after I start getting cancelled work messages as a warthog is running scared around in the fortress. I check the wiki and see that it usually flees from dwarfs, so I build a few cage traps to catch it on its way out. in the meantime the dwarfs are scaring it deeper and deeper into the corridors and it turns aggresive when its cornered just past my mason's workshop. after slaugthering one dwarf, the rest charges in to grab somethin, and before I know whats happening i got a named wartog occupying my only source of stone so far and 3 more dead dwarfs. luckily one of the two remaining dwarfs manages to trap the corridor without angering the warthog, so I abandond the lowest level, waiting for it to be caught.

Meanwhile, outside, the vultures are feasting on the stuff in my temporary-holds-everything stockpile just outside my entrance, so my dwarves have now hauled everything inside. Also got a bunch of Milkers and Cheese Makers, so I'm now back up at 7 dwarves, waiting for the warthog to get caught in my trap.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:36 am »

1200 DB one humped camel bone chain anyone?
This is a blank sig.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: August 18, 2010, 09:23:57 am »

I just started a fort with a brook and a volcano. The mountain the volcano is in is Terrifying, but the rest is ok. After I've set some things up, I'm watching over my metalworking industry when I see a terrible warning. "Urist McMilitia cancels eat: interrupted by Giant Desert Scorpion".
I zoom in on the announcement and see something curious. I don't see any scorpion, just a flashing cage.

The scorpion got caught in a cage trap. This is an excellent way to start off.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: August 18, 2010, 09:25:26 am »

Asshole Forgotten beast. It's just sitting in the caverns, right where the magma pool opens into it, causing my dwarves to eternally cancel eat: interrupted by forgotten beast. My military are all stationed in my "open-air" dining hall, and the beast isn't moving to attack, despite being able to fly straight down there.

EDIT: Dug a tunnel to it.

The soldier hacks The Forgotten Beast in the right wing with her *tower-cap training axe* and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The soldier slaps The Forgotten Beast with the flat of her *tower-cap training axe*, breaking away the tissue!

Training axe-equipped military > giant winged blob of snow.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:40:53 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31:31 am »

Training axe-equipped military > giant winged blob of snow.

Really. Adequate spearman killed a steam FB with only one stab. Got water laced with water out of the deal..

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »

Hilarious embark:  I find a really nice-looking intersection of two rivers with all kinds of neat stuff going on, and when I land and look around, I see gobs of carp and vultures and whatnot - and two alligators.  As quickly as possible I frantically dig a room under the sand to get the food inside (too slow, the vultures still got a lot of my food) and the alligator decides my lads look tasty and runs inside!  A very hasty squad is formed and Heroic Urist McMiner amputates the alligator's head in one magnificent pick shot, making up for the swiped shrooms!  "The expedition leader strikes The Alligator in the head with her (copper pick) and the severed part sails off in an arc!"  The crowd goes wild! 

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06:48 pm »

Hilarious embark:  I find a really nice-looking intersection of two rivers with all kinds of neat stuff going on, and when I land and look around, I see gobs of carp and vultures and whatnot - and two alligators.  As quickly as possible I frantically dig a room under the sand to get the food inside (too slow, the vultures still got a lot of my food) and the alligator decides my lads look tasty and runs inside!  A very hasty squad is formed and Heroic Urist McMiner amputates the alligator's head in one magnificent pick shot, making up for the swiped shrooms!  "The expedition leader strikes The Alligator in the head with her (copper pick) and the severed part sails off in an arc!"  The crowd goes wild! 

Going, Going GONE! IT'S GONE! Urist takes a victory lap around the Dining Room as he finishes out this *Dwarven Baseball Game*
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: August 18, 2010, 04:54:27 pm »

Going, Going GONE! IT'S GONE! Urist takes a victory lap around the Dining Room as he finishes out this *Dwarven Baseball Game*

Dwarven baseball sounds like something you'd find a very very disturbing definition for on urban dictionary. .... must resist urge to look that up. We so need to come up with official rules for dwarven baseball somewhere.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5078 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »

Dwarven baseball sounds like something you'd find a very very disturbing definition for on urban dictionary. .... must resist urge to look that up. We so need to come up with official rules for dwarven baseball somewhere.

You know you want to...
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: August 18, 2010, 05:01:53 pm »

I'm tempted to add my own definition. So, so badly.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: August 18, 2010, 05:08:21 pm »

My mayor was in the middle of tree negotiations with the elf diplomat when he got a strange mood and walked out on him. He ended up making a lead battle axe. My only regret is that I won't be able to use it to chop down those feather caps those elves love so much. My mayor's typical mandates have also been making socks and banning the export of beds. What a dwarf!

The single greatest mayor ever! He even came up with the perfect way to express his feelings toward the elves and their forests.

Anyway, my fort is going great. I just set up a pair of barracks to train my militia, and it's not even slaughtering my workforce. More kobold corpses!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: August 18, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »

Yep, "The Tigerman child has been stolen!"

I'm ambivalent.  On one hand, my miners keep breeding and tigermen are useful as an entrance defense/distraction, but on the other, everyone's "content" and not "ecstatic" and most of the kids belong to important people.

Hopefully the goblins will have water for it.  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:19:55 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

I wonder if the tigerman shall be raised by the goblins and sent against your fortress. Leading a squad.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:09 pm »

The single greatest mayor ever! He even came up with the perfect way to express his feelings toward the elves and their forests.

Nothing quite says "WELCOME ELVEN BROTHERS" like a full 30x30 lumber stockpile.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:41 am »

I wonder if the tigerman shall be raised by the goblins and sent against your fortress. Leading a squad.

It'd be interesting...  I don't know if anyone's ever even resolved that with dwarf kids, though.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 3838