Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966062 times)

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5055 on: August 17, 2010, 11:15:10 am »

You have a living stray kitten?
I have 5! I think a few of them have only recently been born and they're all apparently uninterested in finding a pet Dwarf.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: August 17, 2010, 11:50:25 am »

You have a living stray kitten?

Why not? I prefer to let them grow into adults before I butcher them/drop them into the underworld.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »

ALL HAIL THE KING. NONE CAN BEST HIS DRINKING SKILL.
CERTAINLY HIS WORK ETHIC, BUT HE CAN DRINK YOU ALL UNDER THE FUCKING ☼MICROCLINE TABLE☼!

Also, translation of his name please? Ral Shoot<something>?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: August 17, 2010, 01:08:39 pm »

Ral Shootsmith it will be.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:23 pm »

FUCK YES.

Also the elven diplomat just got shanked by a kobold thief.

EDIT: Floodedlimbs, the artifact cow bone spear, now exists.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:43:04 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 17, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »

Started a fort in a most interesting location. I have a large flat area to the west (with very little water, incidentally, only 3 small ponds), a sand desert in the south, and a 50z level sheer cliff volcano on the eastern edge. I'm building a small supply depot fort in the cliffside, basically something to produce all the raw goods for my real project... Which I haven't fully planned out yet. I know I want the following:

*A magmaduct from the top of the volcano (50z above the plains) to some point over the top of my complex. The magma will be brought down through the fort via a large spiraling rampway (for forges, obsidian farms, and what I want to call the "Merchant Intimidation Corridor (of Possible Doom)" which is just a double-walled tube of clear glass filled with magma (the center is empty for the road) that serves as the entrance.) The possibilty for Fun is obvious.

*A large aboveground fortress made of gold, steel, and whatever other interesting metals I can find. All outer walls will be constructed of clear glass. I'd like to include a colliseum, balconies, turrets, and more. I have an essentially infinite supply of glass and gold (dfprospecter claims I have 27000+ in native gold.) as well as marble, chalk, and heaps and heaps of iron. Did I mention the embark rocked?

I'm still looking for more ideas... So throw some my way!
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: August 17, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

27000 gold is not infinite. I think it entirely possible that you will burn through your entire gold supply with a project that massive.

A also recommend black bronze rooms with rose gold furnishings.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 17, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

Just discovered that building 4 10x10 retractable bridges that drop sieges onto a 20x20 spike field is useless if the drop is only 1z :(

Ok I guess I'll make the spike chamber a magma chamber instead!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 17, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »

Hehe I found that out about that "falling on spikes works only from 2 or more z levels" bit the hard way myself.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 17, 2010, 04:45:42 pm »

Today I worked up the nerve to return to my fort, previously dulled down by 11 months(not including my escapades with the flooding event) by save corruption.

I immediately got to work on the walls, first bridge, and moat. The entire process went quite smoothly and I once again escaped killing anyone while working. There was, however, a cave-in resulting in a 3-week vacation for a miner, and some small training for the gem workers in their alternate career of healthcare, and a second mandrill invasion that claimed the life of a newborn shieldinfant, both parents are still ecstatic. The migrant wave brought me 25 migrants this time.
I think 'll end up moving the bridge again, it was supposed to be in the center...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:10 pm »

ok so flooding the underworld with water didnt work well since i couldnt get the water flowing fast enough i twould just evaporate

so....

that one body of water... the ocean

that is what shall flood the underworld.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:10 pm »

My mayor was in the middle of tree negotiations with the elf diplomat when he got a strange mood and walked out on him. He ended up making a lead battle axe. My only regret is that I won't be able to use it to chop down those feather caps those elves love so much. My mayor's typical mandates have also been making socks and banning the export of beds. What a dwarf!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:10 pm »

ok so flooding the underworld with water didnt work well since i couldnt get the water flowing fast enough i twould just evaporate

so....

that one body of water... the ocean

that is what shall flood the underworld.
If you ever empty the entire ocean and all of its damned aquatic inhabitants into the depths of hell, please record it and tell us all about it. That would be a ☼Mega Construction☼.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 18, 2010, 03:24:17 am »

Well, a save corrupt ended my last fort. So I decided to upgrade to .12 and try  to build my (mini) mega project again. Not a whole lot to say, 2 years in; the temporary fort on the upper levels is more or less done, defenses are nearly finished (I still dont trust the military in 2010.). I'll probably start digging out those 6 z-lvls here soon.

A couple odd things happened in this new fort, however... For starters I was allowed to bring giant bats, tigers and elephants with me, from embark! After some searching I found this has to do with the mod that gets rid of all pet_exotic and mount_exotic tags.  Saddly I cant request more from the caravans :(  In other news the elven liaison/representative/whatever showed up with the first elven caravan and told me not to cut down trees...twice, before leaving. The human one showed up (with the human caravan), told me I had a nice fort and left... Is this a common thing in .12 now?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 18, 2010, 04:13:25 am »

After restarting a few times, I finally have an actual fort going, and just encountered my first siege last night.

My militia commander (named after myself) went into a trance and pretty much slaughtered them all with his masterwork battleaxe. His friend killed a crocodile, while the third member decided to go to sleep instead.

Also managed to make a nice little underground pool 6 z-levels down from the river without flooding the fortress. Not as Fun, but nice to get it right first time. I just hope I don't get crocodles swimming inside my fort though. I should've stuck a bridge in there somewhere <_<
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 3838