Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962543 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5040 on: August 16, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »

I just discovered a great way to make use of my caged goblin armies. I drop them down a pit into the underworld to fight the clowns and other creatures down there. Over time they are weakened and hurt (and dozens of goblins and their mounts meet their deaths) and my own military can move in and finish them off.

Can't believe I didn't think of this before! Plus it's entertaining to see hordes of gobbos desperately trying to fight the things from the deeps, with predictable results.
I was always pretty sure that invaders and caravans can leave off the edges on the caverns, but maybe it's just caravans.
Nom nom nom

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: August 16, 2010, 06:12:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

here's the layout of the Top level of my central tower. It's been mostly excavated by now, but whatever. I still have 100-ish levels to dig, so for simplicity's sake I plan to separate each point into a smaller tower, possibly causing each m ini tower to spread out (and thus create sort of organic-ish curvy "stilts" of stone) before installing a  solid glass bubble at the base of the tower.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »

I just spent almost 700 copper ore training my Weaponsmith to legendary +1 and was not looking forward to doing the same with an Armoursmith, when on strolled a Legendary +5 one in a migrant wave... o.O
Diggy diggy hole.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:59 pm »

Townbrush has finally managed to get some power. The new military is armed with steel battle axes, which allowed them to cut down the Ogres that had taken residence inside the mausoleum with minimal injuries. Now I can resume construction on the tower, hopefully without any more major complications.

On a sadder note, it seems my own personal Dwarf has lost the ability to stand. I refuse to kill him though. Even if he wasn't me, there are only 3 original founders still alive. I don't want them to die.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: August 16, 2010, 07:45:48 pm »

I just discovered a great way to make use of my caged goblin armies. I drop them down a pit into the underworld to fight the clowns and other creatures down there. Over time they are weakened and hurt (and dozens of goblins and their mounts meet their deaths) and my own military can move in and finish them off.

Can't believe I didn't think of this before! Plus it's entertaining to see hordes of gobbos desperately trying to fight the things from the deeps, with predictable results.
I was always pretty sure that invaders and caravans can leave off the edges on the caverns, but maybe it's just caravans.

No they can and indeed once I drop them in the cave they immediately start running towards the closest open edge. It's a moot point though when there's four or five forgotten beasts in the way.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:49 am »

What was going on in my fort, "was" because after that it is a question of a time the fortress is devastated entirely.

Long time ago i formed my military, i forged several battle axes using all the copper i extracted from a vein when digging.
But as they were all recruits, i needed some training axes, and so  i cut down trees and got lots of wooden (mostly chesnut) training axes.
And to be sure my new troops would actually use them, i removed for each dwarf individually the "weapon of his choice" and replaced it by specific weapon : training axes.

So far so good, though they spent a year in training and progressed very very slowly. But most of them moved from recuit to become axedwarves.
I was happy of their progress.

Immigrations waves, i decided to build a second full squad, though these ones being rather new were always at recruit level, but they were training with even more training axes i manufactured.

One day the horrible unthinkable event started all :

Goblins proved this day they were indeed the worst of the creatures.
But they sent me the message that soon ambush parties will be roaming the country.
It was good i built a 2nd military squad, with enough troops and battle axes we should teach those goblins a lesson about blood and severed limbs.

And indeed ambush party attacked, a poor dwarf was assaulted and quickly killed, but it gave me time to get my 2 squads running to location.
Battle was fierce and ... dwarves were dying left and right ?

What in HFS is that !
Looking at a battle report i understood the horrible reason

Oops, i totally forgot to remodify each dwarf equipment individually.
indeed, we have a small problem

Hmm, not that small, it is more a massive problem :
And this was the first big battle that occured in this 1 year old fortress ... and the last.

Note for later : do not forget to check what the dwarves are individually using before sending them to battle, always remember they are a bunch of idiots unable to understand that training axes are only for training and the deadly copper axes are for axemurdering goblins !

The goblins have sure been laughing a lot when they saw dozen of dwarves rushing to them with mighty axes and noticing that those mighty axes were just harmless wooden toys.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:45:34 am by Robsoie »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: August 17, 2010, 08:34:16 am »

Copper axes are not very deadly.

New fort, 5x5 oceanfront rocky wasteland, Reveal'd and Prospector'd. Some highlights:

Flux
Sand
Serene ocean (hello merpeople)
Three magma pools (one ends in second cavern, other two go to first, one of the latter is in the very center embark tile)
SEVEN FUCKING ADAMANTINE DEPOSITS (10431 addy total)
137 underground z-levels
113843 native gold

Let the Fun and Games begin!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:10:21 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:04 am »

Copper axes are not very deadly.
actually with the new densities ect, the two most powerful metals for axes and hammers are silver followed by copper........ yet it changes with the type of enemy armored=silver/copper, unarmored=steel/bronze
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:13 am »

anyways In my current fort I forgot to check if there was any aquifers on the map, and upon digging out a 7z level 5x5 block of rock to drop into the carverns to make a staircase down, I clipped an aquifer.... all miners got out alive, and the center of my block is now full of water, however the water stopped a single level below the entrance to the rest of the fort, so I now have a neat self contained, refilling well tower.
Nom nom nom

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:57 am »

Goblin ambush took out every single human merchant except the diplomat.  :[

I now have a legendary gem setter and it's looking like I'll have a legendary gem cutter.  (To cut all...  ten of my gems?  Or maybe the glass I won't be making because all the wood's going towards the cistern...)

Oh, and I found out that child snatchers will take tigermen instead of dwarf kids.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:45 am »

Oh, and I found out that child snatchers will take tigermen instead of dwarf kids.

:o

Tigermen babies? or just any ol' tigerman?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:23 am »

:o

Tigermen babies? or just any ol' tigerman?

So goblins are as well as ?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 17, 2010, 10:55:41 am »

Yay, first Goblin Ambush!

My 3 weapon traps along my exterior moat badly injured all 6 of them which resulted in one dying. In return a dwarf had his leg slightly injured, another suffered the near loss of an ear, but most importantly a stray kitten got hurt.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:04 am »

You have a living stray kitten?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:51 am »

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 3838