Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3321 3322 [3323] 3324 3325 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105710 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49830 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:19 am »

Unless he was possessed, he should at least be a legendary woodcrafter. Just saying.

Yeah, but no one makes wooden crafts. Stone and bone all the way.
Legendary instrument parts.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49831 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:14 am »

Fiiine. Correction: No one uses woodcrafting unless a part absolutely can't be crafted using more valuable and in-lower-demand parts.

And even than proper dorf would rather search for the closest equivalent instrument that uses stone instead of wood, because wood is for elves. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49832 on: March 27, 2017, 04:49:25 am »

Fiiine. Correction: No one uses woodcrafting unless a part absolutely can't be crafted using more valuable and in-lower-demand parts.

And even than proper dorf would rather search for the closest equivalent instrument that uses stone instead of wood, because wood is for elves. 3:
I wouldn't agree, I make as many wooden crafts as possible in the first five years and then sell them to elves. Very dwarfy thing to do *prepears wooden spike traps*.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49833 on: March 27, 2017, 04:53:58 am »

But they don't buy my wooden crafts :P
at least it's useful as charcoal or potash.

i'm making the same mistakes again. digging a moat, so i got some green when needed out of reach for any intruders. but then my underground area for the entrance defences will be limited, so i have to do the moat first to be able to plan those defences.
month 3 and not even one tile underground as the buzzards harass my dorfs and steal my meat.
begin planning underground without moat and luckily even get the trade depot done befre the caravan arrives.
still have no real economy so far.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49834 on: March 27, 2017, 05:07:39 am »

Everything is completely underground, Magma discovered. about the month after I rebuild a new furnace area. The only reason to go to the surface is to get wood for Charcoal (and/or the Forbidden Emergency Wood stockpile, serviced by 3 Wheelbarrows, that will hold ~600 logs at its peak) at the moment. We are devising the best way to get Magma-powered Furnaces, Kilns, and Smelteries, and then we will go about it.

Right now we're planning on using Magma-safe pumps. Considering the fiasco I had in the last embark with trying to dig through the aquifer, messing it up, and eventually getting fed up--I predict a 3 casualty minimum before things are in place.

Already there are multiple glass grates, tubes, corkscrews, and more in preparation.

It also feels amazing to have Keas wander into cage traps, so we steal THEM, instead of them stealing from us.

Heh.

If only I could train Keas, then (once the next update goes out), send them out to steal stuff from other places. Kinda like Kobolds and exactly like wild Keas.

In any event, once we get our new Magma Workshops going, we will be slamming closed the doors, locking down the fortress, and diverting everyone to growing plants. And brewing. and cooking.

Then, after a year or so, when we have ~5,000 of both food and drink (and 1-4 spare sets of clothing for every Dorf in the place) for our 35 soft-cap population......we will throw a 1-4 year party.

All labors will be removed.

All Workshops will be temporarily abandoned.

Nobody will be allowed to do any work, and the most important part of our fortress' work will take place:

Popping out them babies.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:09:53 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49835 on: March 27, 2017, 06:28:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep, the picture in the spoiler is my current fortress' cavern layer/farm. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation.

So I was inspired by one of the stories in this forum to build a fort in a terrifying glacier. My initial plan was to dig down to the caverns and use that as my farming area. I'd genned the world to make it a single cavern layer to speed up the FPS rate, and when I found the caverns I saw there was a big patch of land that could be used. Pretty simple, right?

Except I'd put a Deep Ones mod in my raws that adds an extremely powerful, yet non-aggressive, madness-inducing Elder God into the deepest caverns. When one Elder God showed up, I decided to wall off a farm/well area for my fortress. Everything went according to plan... except for the undead crundle (and a few non-undead ones) that traipsed into the half-finished walled area, forcing me to send my militia to kill it. By the time the crundle situation had been settled, the Elder God had popped up right in the middle of my walled area. I sent in my militia of two dwarves.

Big mistake.

The Elder God smashed the hammerdwarf's head in, then chopped off the axedwarf's leg clean below the knee. (The axedwarf would later go stark raving mad from lack of sleep and die.) Then, it sauntered up the door, having gained the name "Anguishedplans", and headed for the entrance. The rest of my dwarves just watched Anguished go past them in the corridor ("Oh, 'sup Cthulhu. How's it hanging?") as it went out the entrance, up the glacier, and off the map.

I was shocked. In my hubris, I had unleashed an unholy thing from the darkness before time onto the world, probably dooming it. For a moment, I pondered save scumming.

Instead, I decided to play the thing through, which involved finishing the farm walls, clearing out the sudden influx of scuttling, octopoid body parts, and trying to ignore the fact that my dwarves were all gradually gaining the Innsmouth look. It went well... until the food ran out. In desperation I had my dwarves attempt to kill a troll that had wandered into my common area, in the hopes that it would give us meat. Instead, they punched and kicked at it until they got exhausted, passed out, and then went back to it, not giving a shit that they were starving.

And then the fort's cat ran out, got caught in one of the clouds of foul fog that occasionally roiled across the barren icy surface, and turned into a thrall. While I had created a pair of doors on the entrance of my fort and locked them (the "airlock" setup), keeping the thrall cat out wouldn't stop the dwarves inside from starving. Deciding that this was pretty Fun, I let the cat in. As expected, the cat began to maul my dwarves, killing several through massive blood loss.

Just as I had given up on the fort, however, a migrant wave appeared, and one of those dwarves killed the cat thrall with a blow to the head. It was, however, too late for all but one member of the original 13 that had resided in the fort, who had been killed by one of the dwarf corpses that rose up in the aftermath of the massacre.

But at least Ghoulbreaches lived another day.

I decided to make the most of this second chance, and built a fairly good fortress. Sure, there was a second Elder God in the deep, but my walls were complete, so it couldn't come inside, right?

Then it proved me wrong by showing up inside the walls.

I trapped it in the airlock to the farms and dug another one, then examined the area where I'd first seen it.

Turns out the fort's well was built over a slope. That must have been where it came.

I facepalmed, then built a floor over it and moved the well to somewhere without a climbable area. Then a Forgotten Beast with the fever-causing dust showed up and chased some crundles around. I didn't give a damn because it was outside my walls-- but when I spotted a crundle with a name on my units list, I checked it out.

Turns out this crundle had killed the Forgotten Beast by making it bleed out. Good on the crundle, bad for my fort, because now I have an undead, dust-spewing nightmare right outside my walls.

On the plus side, I have a last-ditch weapon to use in case a Forgotten Beast or something worse makes it into the fortress. Sure, it'd doom my dwarves to succumb to its dark will, but if it comes to that then the fort is pretty much doomed anyway.

-------

Bonus screenshots for the rest of the fortress:

"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49836 on: March 27, 2017, 09:10:56 am »

Zombie FBs don't use their interactions, so you're safe from the dust. However, they are still very powerful.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49837 on: March 27, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »

Praise Armok and Enur Garnishbuttered (goddess of hospitality)! Our Fortress's first child has been born!

Zon Healedlance will be the first of many, if we do not succumb to !!fun!!.

Our children grow quickly here in Craftbridge, coming to maturity ate age 6. However, with the birth of the first child, we have decided to institute a 6-year mandatory military term for all children, allowing them to toughen themselves up before settling down into a craft. However, Zon Healedlance has been preselected, from the moment of his birth, to become our next Armorsmith, to take over completely once our current Armorsmith, Kadel Quicknesssmiths, dies out in 80 years or so.

We have also discovered the Great Magma Sea--and, Praise the Miners!, we have discovered Adamantine. In fact, we may be able to access some of it without having to deal with magma shenanigans.

However, for the foreseeable future, we will be sticking with Steel weapons and armor, unless a mood happens to strike someone.

Speaking of moods, our High Master (13) Stonecrafter, Erib Longcrafts, has been struck by a Strange Mood.

Our military is now 3 Dorfs strong, but the new Peasant AxeDorf may have to wait to be fully equipped because we are preparing a Magma trough and Cistern for Metalsmiths, Thob Wheelsnets (our Glassmaker), and our eventual (probably) Kilnmaster.

A Bugbat and a Giant Rat made it through our walls before we realized we hadn't patched them completely, but our new military cut them down, and the walls have since been patched.

We are preparing, still, to Bring Down the House--a tradition we may continue every 10-20 years (while the holy FPS lasts)--shutting ourselves off completely, standing down from work and military, and doing nothing but, um........

propogating the Fort.

This will be followed by Raising the Roof 1-4 years later.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49838 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:27 pm »

Raystaves has largely recovered from the starvation of a year ago. The two who survived have since died as well; one in battle, the other in the well. Despite literally the entire first year's population being dead and buried, migrants came and the population is holding steady at around 50. Then a Forgotten Beast managed to, somehow, get inside the stairwell. It killed 4 dwarves and wounded several others before being killed by, not a military dwarf, but a miner, with assistance from an 11 year old. I'm still not sure how it got in, but I did have a possible route into the stairwell, where it was a up/down stair diagonal and above the caverns. I build a wall over it.

Once more, the fort has no Militia Commander. Four so far have been promoted and died. Despite no ambushes or sieges as of yet, or even thieves, being in the military has proven to be quite dangerous.

There is also a ghost wandering around, used to be a gemcutter. I'm assuming a failed mood, since I only recently build a jeweler's workshop, but I don't remember it.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49839 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:48 am »

Despite being blessed with ample iron, Flux, and gold deposits, I for some reason keep asking the Mountainhoe for bars and raw ore.

And it never gets put away.

I finally managed to finish storing it all, at least below ground.

......took me 6 months.

Granted, a lot of it was from charcoal efforts and my brilliant idea to smelt the ore up top as opposed to merely hauling the ore below ground with wheelbarrows.

>.<

After this next one--NO MORE BARS.

lots and lots of ore, preferably lots more platinum ore from mountainhome caravans.........

but no more bars.

after this next caravan.

EDIT:

OH MY ARMOK

I no longer feel bad about not naming my bad-ass (to me) Gemcutter to the Barony. The Weaponsmith Baron just Mooded and produced.......

A GOLDEN WARHAMMER.

And the image on the warhammer?

A dwarf striking down a Goblin.

Oh HFS YES.

Specific dwarf, specific goblin, during a specific conflict.

:D

This more than makes up for the dwarf that went insane because I had turned the bones into bolts......and I forgot about him.

Eh, screw him. I've already got a Legendary Stonecrafter.

At least he was buried in his favorite material: Silver.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:37:13 am by Maul_Junior »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49840 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »

Normal fortress routine was happening until I saw this:

How the heck did a hamster get into the caverns?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49841 on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:10 am »

......literal !!fun!! has been acquired.

A pair of unfortunate Channelings has resulted in the Magma Cistern being filled early, from an unplanned source. Despite the Overseer's best reality-warping efforts, the Fort's only Miners, both Legendary +5, were submerged in lava, teleported to safety where they burned for a few seconds, warped to the top of an ice-covered pool, flash-frozen in an attempt to extinguish the flames, Half-drowned in the Caverns, then teleported back to ?Safety? where they each took approximately ten steps before falling down, dead.

And just for good measure, I set the surface on fire.

EDIT:

I have a map that is split into three parts. There's a waterfall, and the river goes two ways after that. I love these maps. Anyway, it looked like the fire would be limited to one part of the surface. A part I'd never used much.

But no, there were TREES. One of them on either side caught fire, and the main portion of the surface, where I had 534 logs lying around waiting to be turned into Charcoal, caught fire.

I have watched the fire spread across the entire surface.

Then, just as the fire passed by a set of cage traps that had been loaded with wooden traps that burned horribly....I noticed the local Mechanic charging forward. with a wooden cage. the fire was like 5 tiles away from the closest cage trap at the time.

!!fun!! indeed.

EDIT:

STOP.

DROP THE DAMN METAL CAGE.

RUN!

GET BACK INSIDE THROUGH THE HIDEY HOLE YOU CAME OUT OF!

EDIT:

YOU AREN'T A MECHANIC ANYMORE!! RUN!

fine. [M]. You're removed from the job.

STORE ITEM IN STOCKPILE?

RUN YOU ASSHOLE! FIRE IS THREE TILES AWAY FROM YOU, LIKE FOUR FROM THE BOLT HOLE!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:28:58 am by Maul_Junior »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49842 on: March 29, 2017, 03:01:04 pm »

I am on the edge of my seat.

Did Urist McMechanic survive the terrible flames?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49843 on: March 29, 2017, 06:58:07 pm »

Yes, yes he did. With a couple of tiles between him and the fire to spare..

Then he had a year-long vacation before I remembered to turn Mechanics back on.

I had thought that maybe because the wood cages had burned, I needed to rebuild the trap.

Nope, just an Overseer forgetting to do stuff again.

In other news, the Elves arrived and sternly informed me that they were going to limit how many trees I could cut down. They told me I could ony cut down 100.

I agreed readily. Because I don't need Charcoal anymore.

Then they glared at me, called me a monster, and raised the cap to 113.

DEAL!

Now I'm trying to kick the habit of buying *all the food* from caravans in order to make prepared meals.

Food stocks have topped 10,400.
Drink stocks have just breached 3,400.

I have 35 dwarves living here.

plus I have about 30 animals in line to be butchered. Including 3 turkeys that are just about to keel over from old age (managed to sneak out a hatch of poults from them).

And a Wild Boar domestication project. Bought a sow from the human caravan. Then 3 more Wild Boar Sows and 3 Wild Boar (M)s charged into my cages.

And in the rest of the livestock, I have begun a breeding program, winnowing out the weak. Going for stats, now that I don't need to worry about food. Probably ever, unless Magma rains from the sky. Yay Green Glass Pots.

Playfortresses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49844 on: March 30, 2017, 05:30:23 am »

Ghost post

Pages: 1 ... 3321 3322 [3323] 3324 3325 ... 3842