Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3308 3309 [3310] 3311 3312 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106405 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49635 on: February 24, 2017, 12:26:47 am »

For reference, Anardon are basically t-rex.

And they'll appear in an expansion for my mod, Culture Shock!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49636 on: February 24, 2017, 01:03:25 am »

@MehMuffin: Your fears hold true. Give yourself a muffin :v

Fun thing: Floor can punch through a support-held floor without harming the support.

@da_nang: Checked that you did replace clothing for each and every dwarf? it's individual.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49637 on: February 24, 2017, 10:36:48 am »

Well, I started a fort in an evil biome.

By the end of the season everyone was dead, murdered by zombie storks.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49638 on: February 24, 2017, 11:07:12 am »

Well, I started a fort in an evil biome.

By the end of the season everyone was dead, murdered by zombie storks.

I wish I could have that kind of !!FUN!!, but I must finish project Endogeny.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49639 on: February 25, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »

So my dwarf has tried to breach aquifer and because of the poor skills of management (me) he got himself in a trouble as he got stuck in a flooded hole with no exit. Everything seems bad and I prepare to see him drown as his status flashes "DROWNING", until suddenly, the warning dissapears.

But the dwarf is still there "alive", so my first guess was that the dwarf really did drown but he is gone "missing" and the game lies to me that he still lives as because no dwarf discovered him dead yet. Then I send other dwarfs to build a ramp to retrieve the body and his possessions when much to my surprise the "dead" dwarf walks out of the hole fine and heads for the nearest booze stockpile.

O_o I check his thoughts and preferences screen and there it is, "He was satisfied to improve in swimming."
Right now he is TALENTED swimmer, and he wasnīt even novice.

Thatīs some survival yo.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49640 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56:19 pm »

So my dwarf has tried to breach aquifer and because of the poor skills of management (me) he got himself in a trouble as he got stuck in a flooded hole with no exit. Everything seems bad and I prepare to see him drown as his status flashes "DROWNING", until suddenly, the warning dissapears.

But the dwarf is still there "alive", so my first guess was that the dwarf really did drown but he is gone "missing" and the game lies to me that he still lives as because no dwarf discovered him dead yet. Then I send other dwarfs to build a ramp to retrieve the body and his possessions when much to my surprise the "dead" dwarf walks out of the hole fine and heads for the nearest booze stockpile.

O_o I check his thoughts and preferences screen and there it is, "He was satisfied to improve in swimming."
Right now he is TALENTED swimmer, and he wasnīt even novice.

Thatīs some survival yo.

I had a similar experience when a pump operator I had sent to try to reduce the water level in the canyon. She was washed into it and had no place to walk up too.

I assumed she drowned until I realized there was not body either.
I looked at her under U, and learned something about her.

Novice climber (rusty)

She had managed to climb out of the river and scaled the canyon walls until she reached the surface. After that I gave her customization and delegated her to study to learn her mechanics better.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49641 on: February 26, 2017, 09:04:34 am »

I had my first dwarf death.

Two dwarves (expedition leader and Urist McMiner) were sent to cHannel a pit. I designated all the layers at the same time.

Turns out that dwarves do not check mining stability. These two caused a piece of rock to fall in front of them.

While the Expedition Leader escaped with only a Smashed Open hand (and heavy bruising all over), Urist McMiner had her neck turned into an unrecognizable mess and was found dead by the dwarf carrying her to the hospital. The best part is that the pit is supposed to serve as reservoir of water for the hospital.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49642 on: February 28, 2017, 01:58:30 am »

My cats have evolved. They are now aquatic. They prefer hunting the river exit to defending my food stockpiles.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49643 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:11 am »

My cats have evolved. They are now aquatic. They prefer hunting the river exit to defending my food stockpiles.

The cats clearly want to catch the lungfish while they can.
Until the cats can fly, they must be forced to swim.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49644 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:55 am »

Well, after not getting a caravan, I checked legends mode and discovered that my home civilization had fallen. Which wasn't particularly good, especially since I had just lost two miners.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49645 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »

i just discovered I had a lava pit which is 100 z levels deep from top of lava pit to bottom. Oh, and it's in an underground cavern.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49646 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:55 pm »

I should rename "Cupsfull" to "Cribsfull". Fifteen bloody babies born in the space of less than three years!

My luck has been all strange in this fortress. I accidentally embarked without altering my gear or bringing any animals, but somehow was lucky enough that my draft animals were a matched pair of horses, who foaled before the year was out. I have plenty of iron, coke, gold, platinum, even a bit of tin, but the magma pipe is barely higher than the magma sea and the marble isn't any closer. I broke through the ceiling of the first cavern layer, far from any wall and in no danger of climbers, but I couldn't enter anyways because of a troupe of hostile serpent men. Now there's a webbing forgotten beast with a shell down there! Of my six strange moods, four were possessions that made junk items. Of the remaining two fey moods, one was a child and resulted in craftsdwarf garbage, and the other was a weaver. Made a toga depicting the founding of the fortress and became a legendary in his craft.

Oh, and my civ is at peace with some kobolds.

What a strange frigging fortress.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:45:37 pm by Scorch »
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49647 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:28 pm »

Had my ass handed to me by some kobolds... Their first tactical strike took my anvil and fish barrel... Then they took the replacement anvil and an artifact robe... Then they sent a squad and killed my military as they were training on a rhino, exhausted, stabbed em all in the lungs and moved onto civilians.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49648 on: February 28, 2017, 10:10:08 pm »

Got a fey mood. Am now designing a death-chamber featuring the following options:
* Death by drowning
* Death by magma
* Death by obsidian casting
* Death by smashing into ultraspeed minecarts
* Death by falling debris
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49649 on: February 28, 2017, 10:32:46 pm »

A member of one of my old forts came to vist.

He was a were-mouse. He somehow managed to escape his confinement on my volcanic island. the guy was sealed away and managed to escape. He also went and crossed the ocean to reach the mainland.
He then crossed the better part of the continent to reach my relatively isolated fort.

What happens when the were-mouse comes and attacks?

I order the gate to be shut, and luckily a hard and 2 cats managed to successfully distract the mouse long enough to shut him out.

When he turns back, he is still hostile. He then spent a while standing outside my wall. After a while he managed to climb over the wall into my fort.

Now, this guy's 9 year long mission of reaching my new fort finally came to a close.

When he was attacked by 3 untrained dogs, and the things ripped at him until his nervous tissue tore. He then bleed to death while unconscious.

His name was "Mouse" by the way.

Pages: 1 ... 3308 3309 [3310] 3311 3312 ... 3842