Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3302 3303 [3304] 3305 3306 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106733 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49545 on: February 11, 2017, 08:38:27 pm »

Wish I had gotten a screenshot... Was too busy laughing my ass off to get one. Just had a single naked dwarf arrive, announced like a megabeast or something... "The dwarf Bombul Melbilrinule has arrived! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry!" They immediately ran off the map after.

He is the representation of savagery among dwarves.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:43:21 pm by Asin »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49546 on: February 12, 2017, 02:01:06 am »

Wish I had gotten a screenshot... Was too busy laughing my ass off to get one. Just had a single naked dwarf arrive, announced like a megabeast or something... "The dwarf Bombul Melbilrinule has arrived! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry!" They immediately ran off the map after.

Well dwarves/humans etc. do go on rampages in worldgen. hahahah, you should have caught & kept him in a cage.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49547 on: February 12, 2017, 06:02:46 am »

The dead hang around outside tearing apart the occasional Elk stampede (trying to avenge the earlier wereelk, no doubt) and a visitor or two.

Inside, the dorfs are carrying on in typical zombie movie hero style. Just as everything seems to be going fine they've started killing each other. A fight's broken out in the workshops between two masons. Injuries are serious and it's starting to spread...

In other news a zombie snuck through the defenses during a wood run and got itself stuck in a cage. Yay. That's half a suit of armor each for the militia. They've been wrestling naked for the better part of a year.

-- Oh, and continuing with the zombie tropes, all that naked wrestling has produced results. The militia commander just gave birth to a baby boy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:37:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49548 on: February 12, 2017, 03:19:07 pm »

Combatshield feasts.

I ended up butchering that dead titan, so no dreadful undead monster battles. Its spare parts got dunked down the hole, so I now have a few titan bits crawling around down there.

I also got a small goblin siege, numbering only 10 with no support. My militia absolutely wrecked them, with barely any injuries on my side. The mace lord was especially potent: I checked and he slew 7 of the goblins. A few goblins reanimated, but they too were dispatched.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49549 on: February 13, 2017, 01:05:01 am »

Lancedbrains is my second fort of the Dwarven Civilization The Sculpted Lancers. I had several migrant waves bringing Dwarves from my former fortress Dragongranite which were bored with life and were looking for something exciting (Lancedbrains is on a haunted glacier). In the previous waves I have been checking every single dwarf: Whether I remember him, what are his skills, what weapons, armor, clothes he brings with him. During the last migrant wave I was distracted so I just let them flow in. Guess what. With them a dwarf arrived who had been walled in in Dragongranite because he was infected with lycanthropy. I haven't noticed until full moon when I saw some patients being brought to the hospital.

Reading through 15 pages of combat logs revealed that he managed to infect two other dwarves before the oupost liason lopped off his head with a ☼Steel Battle axe☼. He saved the fortress, the two newly infected dwarves were walled in and are going to take a magma bath later.

Later that month I read another combat report involving the outpost liason. He dodged the spit of another dwarf, a hunter. I was wondering what's going on, why would that hunter spit on the outpost liason. Turns out that the beheaded wereiguana was the hunter's brother. I love this game!

However, the big question is how did the wereiguana get out in the first place. Was he just randomly picked from the list of the dwarfves of Dragongranite and placed into the migrant wave or did the dwarves in the retired Dragongranite actually dig him out again. I guess I will see what happened once I visit Dragongranite with an adventurer. Another tell will be the amount of wereiguanas in the next migrant wave from Dragongranite.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:32:14 am by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49550 on: February 13, 2017, 04:06:14 am »

A giant elephant decided it had enough of the Hydra waltzing around outside my fort and kicked it... It's upper body exploded in gore after it was propelled by the blow. I pray none of my hunters are stupid enough to challenge one of these things...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49551 on: February 13, 2017, 04:40:59 am »

Tometower keeps on keeping on.

The caverns were opened and the fire breathing skunk challenged. One Axe Lord managed to get through the smoke to take a swing at it. After that one swing he was straight up incinerated. Meanwhile the fb wanders off and so do the rest of the militia. None of them want to fight each other at all.  :-\

Everything else is pretty slow. Slabbing the 20 or so ghosts after leaving them unmemorialized out of spite grew too troublesome. The new citizen only tavern "The Apple of Leaping" will hopefully keep the King and other important dwarves safe in the upper zones. The apartment buildings are slowly progressing. The warehouses are being expanded.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49552 on: February 13, 2017, 04:57:42 am »

However, the big question is how did the wereiguana get out in the first place. Was he just randomly picked from the list of the dwarfves of Dragongranite and placed into the migrant wave or did the dwarves in the retired Dragongranite actually dig him out again.
Both, kinda. On retirement the people can get scattered around on walkable space. Had a vampire visitor escape confinement like this.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49553 on: February 13, 2017, 07:58:29 am »

Decided to make it so I could play humans... Damn, trade's going to be hard, they don't have brokers or anything, so I just have to hope I'm not giving the traders way too much stuff.

They also cannot make step ladders, meaning I'll have to wait for the dwarves to get any, which will be in a looong time.

Also, human children can work from birth, yes they still do child things like make-believe. Just watched a two year old butcher a horse then immediately start make-believe, probably in shock over killing their horse. Have yet to test if you can draft children into the military.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:00:04 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49554 on: February 13, 2017, 10:20:35 am »

Me when I'm playing dwarves: Don't go near the caverns... They're a scarey place...

When I'm playing humans: Hey look, some big caves! Send the kids to scout it out and collect any plants you find.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49555 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:04 am »

Combatshield is still going strong.

There were some minor undead outbreaks today; apparently the goblin corpse haulers are crap at their jobs. A mob of 10+ dwarves is enough to kill most small undead without trouble, though. Corpses have been properly dumped and the haulers have been reprimanded.

I'm moving most of my lifestock from the disordered area I'd been keeping them in to separate enclosures, which is going pretty well. I also created a soap/booze/food production zone.

Finally, a stonecrafter went fey, grabbed stone, rough gems, cut gems, leather, more rough gems, bone, and more cut gems and created a ridiculously over-decorated... stone ring. At least it's got a cool name: 'the Furious Ruins'. Stonecrafter is now on permanent craft-duty, ring has been placed Armok-knows-where.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49556 on: February 13, 2017, 07:18:23 pm »

Me when I'm playing dwarves: Don't go near the caverns... They're a scarey place...

When I'm playing humans: Hey look, some big caves! Send the kids to scout it out and collect any plants you find.

That's it! That is a great way to slaughter the useless bards and poets with no useful skills improve efficiency of my computer while I build my secret project. But since I have yet to pierce the cavern layer, I am unsure about that.

Should I have the waking wastes of data slaughter the free loaders from the tavern artists convince the long term guest to leave politely.

Otherwise, I will just wait until I finish project "Endogeny".
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49557 on: February 14, 2017, 12:26:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even fucking know.

Somebody's been modding.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49558 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:49 am »

Making a human fort work is... Tiring. I have to use charcoal for my fuel, unable to make coal for some random reason, and upon bringing up some candy, I discovered they can't make wafers. Still, my clothiers are having a hayday pumping out the most expensive clothing this world has seen. I'm slowly importing enough steel to make a single suit of armour loaded to the max, along with a morning star, to go along with the steel longsword I made. These won't go to my militia commander, but to an adventurer, who'll be the most well armed human in this world. Not sure what his quest will be, but I'll be setting him up with two sets of masterwork bronze armour and weapons, for his two companions, who'll be axe and hammer soldiers respectively. He'll also be going to go claim a candy pike I produced at a former dwarven fortress, which isn't actually too far from my current human fort, on the other side of the lake.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49559 on: February 14, 2017, 07:25:12 am »

The dead continue to roam outside this goldmine that is to be our tomb. All we have is tin and a little silver for equipment. We're so rich in gold we could afford to order the best equipment from the human and dwarven caravans, but I don't think we'll get a chance this year. It looks like the dead aren't going anywhere for a while yet and it's already summer.

Put together some cheap dog leather armour for my one naked macedwarf after discovering that naked is not the best way to fend off a cave crocodile. Made him a gold crutch too. Military commander is happily clad in steel and bronze thanks to my caged zombie.

My only hope is for the human caravan to reduce zombies to a manageable number to deal with using cages.

A quick peek at legends shows that the living dwarf axeman with the zombies was specifically generated to lead this attack. He's not a necromancer or a necromancer's student. Doesn't belong to any entity but the dark tower. Hideously, he also has no beard...

--Oh wait, it's a female axedwarf. While some might still consider the lack of beard unnatural, I'm cool with it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:29:18 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3302 3303 [3304] 3305 3306 ... 3842