Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3288 3289 [3290] 3291 3292 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108032 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49335 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:03 pm »

Just had the first casualty of Openbodies. A giant lion ripped apart my best hunter, only to be ripped apart by the regular tiger I have assigned to the hunter. The pride of giant lions was swiftly dealt with once they got angry and started going towards my fort faster than an angry badger, double shield spear dwarves poked them down from their glory. These guys are basically my animal control squad, and have gotten most of their experience jabbing at elves.

In other news, the kobold in my cellar finally starved to death. That took a long time, longer than I expected it to. Now I can claim the *iron dagger* on his body and put it in my mayor's museum of foreign weapons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49336 on: January 24, 2017, 03:31:11 am »

No no no, nothing bad happened, we are just relocating the grave yard, again.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49337 on: January 24, 2017, 04:00:15 am »

I play around with custom mods, and i made a race of fire spitting troglodytes... And settled them in the forest. Around spring-ish, a bunch of kea tried to steal my stuff, only for my troglodytes to take exception to that and spit fire at them. Soon after, it was chaos, involving a mushroom person caravan (Don't ask), and an elf seige both getting burned up as fire consumed the land. Then I modded the raws further and now my worlds won't gen so I have to get some help fixing the issues. fun.
That's very similar to what happened when I first made my Fire Imp Civilization mod.

Oh? How similar?

I'm guessing similar in temperature and destruction of nature.

Speaking of which, the taiga outside my fort keeps catching fire. It probably has something to do with the magma moat, but I haven't turned those pumps on in years, and yet every few months the entire countryside is suddenly a burning ruin for no apparent reason. One of my dwarves even decided to drop her baby in the fire and run away herself...

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49338 on: January 24, 2017, 06:34:02 am »

You made me laugh out loud at work so that my co-workers began asking what fun stuff I read. When I explained your relocating a graveyard they were puzzled, I had to explain them that in DF you may sometimes need to do this sort of stuff.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49339 on: January 24, 2017, 06:50:05 am »

You made me laugh out loud at work so that my co-workers began asking what fun stuff I read. When I explained your relocating a graveyard they were puzzled, I had to explain them that in DF you may sometimes need to do this sort of stuff.

Meanwhile I tell my friends about the horrors of dorf fort and they just look confused and horrified. I told my mom about Mermaid Farming and my best friend about Obok Meatgod... I don't think I have a mom or a best friend anymore. Okay yes I do my mom is a disturbing person and my best friend is just as disturbing as the average dorf fort player, if not more.

Anyways, relevantly, now I've made a cheaty fortress to test my mod; A colossal tower of Pine wood, with a large wall of Rubber wood around it. It was just a test to see how stable the mod is however, I intend to do an even more cheaty but still fun fort up next to make sure the mod works under all circumstances.

I play around with custom mods, and i made a race of fire spitting troglodytes... And settled them in the forest. Around spring-ish, a bunch of kea tried to steal my stuff, only for my troglodytes to take exception to that and spit fire at them. Soon after, it was chaos, involving a mushroom person caravan (Don't ask), and an elf seige both getting burned up as fire consumed the land. Then I modded the raws further and now my worlds won't gen so I have to get some help fixing the issues. fun.
That's very similar to what happened when I first made my Fire Imp Civilization mod.

Oh? How similar?

I'm guessing similar in temperature and destruction of nature.

Speaking of which, the taiga outside my fort keeps catching fire. It probably has something to do with the magma moat, but I haven't turned those pumps on in years, and yet every few months the entire countryside is suddenly a burning ruin for no apparent reason. One of my dwarves even decided to drop her baby in the fire and run away herself...

THIS IS WHY GOBLINS TAKE OUR BABIES! Bad mother, bad! Go sit in the fire and think about what youve done!
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49340 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:34 am »

Kyubee, your best friend is far more disturbed than the average dorf forter if he wasn't bothered by Meatgod.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49341 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:34 am »

@Random Dragon: Not even the dead can know peace from this pain?

That's, uh, an impressive atrocity. Many have sent their dwarves to hell, but I believe you're the first to reenact part of Divine Comedy on sandy beaches.

@Ispil: Given the dwarf-destroying scale, I'm surprised you're still in sedimentary layers for bedrooms :P

Though at 48 rooms, I suppose this is just the first z for them.

@above: Ah, that tale. I'm pretty sure that tale is not possible currently as otherwise there would be "populate whole civ with your relatives" adv-mode stupid dwarf trick.

Small comfort, though: that tale is no less real than anything that happens in DF.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49342 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:49 am »

A large number of my dwarves have accrued infections in various body parts over the last howevermany sieges, but whenever they feel sick enough to go to the hospital they stand up immediately after diagnosis and the infection remains--are they at any risk from these infections before they get serious? Is there any way to make my medical dwarves actually treat them?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49343 on: January 24, 2017, 10:07:59 am »

Once present, infections are untreatable expect by amputation* or werebeast syndrome. They periodically make the dwarf (usually eventually fatally) lose blood, so one of the attributes covering that - toughness, I think - might perhaps allow them to handle them better (not sure, hypothetical).

That said, one is often treated as inevitable death sentence, I think, which supports extreme treatment plans. 

Though a wound isn't guarantee of infection with proper cleaning - I had dwarf go for decades with mangled (red) toe and no infection.

*via, say, serrated disks, partial armor and cave-in.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49344 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:46 am »

A large number of my dwarves have accrued infections in various body parts over the last howevermany sieges, but whenever they feel sick enough to go to the hospital they stand up immediately after diagnosis and the infection remains--are they at any risk from these infections before they get serious? Is there any way to make my medical dwarves actually treat them?

Thats related to a bug.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49345 on: January 24, 2017, 11:36:04 am »

@Random Dragon: Not even the dead can know peace from this pain?

That's, uh, an impressive atrocity. Many have sent their dwarves to hell, but I believe you're the first to reenact part of Divine Comedy on sandy beaches.

I don't even know how the hell ghosts can end up insane. According the friend testing it the dwarf went stark raving mad, died, then their ghost came back stark raving mad too.

Admittedly this was a "fort" engineered to deliberately torture dwarves and see how long before they snap, so it seems like insanity just kinda bottles up and simmers until it explodes so hard even the dead feel it. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49346 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:36 pm »

A surprisingly feisty werekoala attacked, but my metalsmith punched all his teeth out in the first two actions so he could only scratch and not bite. Today is a good day.

Ansgar111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49347 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49348 on: January 24, 2017, 05:44:27 pm »

Me too, plus I clear cut part of a jungle, so I have all the charcoal I could ever want.

If only the elves could visit. It would be such a pleasure for them to count the number of trees I slaughtered improved.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49349 on: January 24, 2017, 05:49:45 pm »

A surprisingly feisty werekoala attacked, but my metalsmith punched all his teeth out in the first two actions so he could only scratch and not bite. Today is a good day.
How did you know he punched all of its teeth?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)
Pages: 1 ... 3288 3289 [3290] 3291 3292 ... 3842