Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3268 3269 [3270] 3271 3272 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972587 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49035 on: December 20, 2016, 09:50:08 am »

My fishing industry and farming industry is taking off and we're making legendary roasts. Unfortunately, this skyrocketed our forts value. Now, we're being flooded with petitions for long-term guests.
We have something like 20 performers and 12 mercenaries wandering around.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49036 on: December 20, 2016, 05:57:26 pm »

Started training our captured cave crocodiles. I look forward to the reptilian horde that we will one day unleash against our foes.

A forgotten beast got into the cage trap setup. A huge blob made of water that shoots webs. Being made of water I assumed it would be easy for my Legendary-skilled squad to deal with - and it wasn't. A spearmaster and a swordmaster were crushed by its deadly pushes before an axe lord finally landed a blow, which killed it straight away. Then we just had to rescue three dwarves that had got themselves trapped in cages (fighting web-shooting monsters while standing on top of cage traps is a bad idea).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49037 on: December 20, 2016, 07:48:15 pm »

Horrible idea, yeah. Webber firing on weapon-traps can wipe entire militaries.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49038 on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:11 pm »

Decided to revive Human Hamlet, one of those minor mod things I made my own crack at long ago and left in the desktop that was bricked a week or two ago.

Symbol: "The Brave Works is an image of humans and a wagon. The humans are laboring. The wagon looks confused."
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #49039 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:32 pm »

I guess he's a scapeboar...
Hue hue hue hue! *hyperventilates*

Decided to revive Human Hamlet, one of those minor mod things I made my own crack at long ago and left in the desktop that was bricked a week or two ago.

Symbol: "The Brave Works is an image of humans and a wagon. The humans are laboring. The wagon looks confused."
That poor wagon. Mine got covered in slime for several years until a dorf had the good will to chop off the slimy parts and make it into a bed.

My fishing industry and farming industry is taking off and we're making legendary roasts. Unfortunately, this skyrocketed our forts value. Now, we're being flooded with petitions for long-term guests.
We have something like 20 performers and 12 mercenaries wandering around.
Make fishing great again. Beware of water.

I'm finally ready to drain my one cavern lake into the other third of my cave. We'll retrieve the multitudinous dwarf corpses that the troglodytes lured-into the depths and make the cave fish start feeding us instead of the other way 'round! Screw pumps are at the ready. Stairs everywhere. Like - EVERYWHERE, so hopefully, my miner dwarf who breaks through to the other side doesn't get instantly smashed-up against a wall by the gushing lakewater.

So far he's "ordered" us to construct beds, and mandated the construction of chains
Mine are being pretty chill. Last year he ordered three spears. My mayor lost the election and got caught in a snow storm. There's still a pile of corpses at my fort entrance but I'm thinking most of the dead have been cleared! My new mayor mandated the creation of two amulets. They should be done. He also needs a chair.

Started training our captured cave crocodiles.
I should do that. Can they break out of copper/lead cages? Cuz I just bought like 15.

Started giving loads of free stuff to the elves in case they decide to complain about woodcutting. When I retire the fort I want the Elves to be on good terms with the Furnace of Crevices.

Also - I got made into a duchy!!

Question: If I retire a fort, will my leaders die of old age?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49040 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:46 am »

Nah, crocs will stay in cages.

They should, if they're past their "good until" date.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49041 on: December 21, 2016, 02:07:50 am »

That poor wagon. Mine got covered in slime for several years until a dorf had the good will to chop off the slimy parts and make it into a bed.

Also? Random name for the hamlet that I went with: Shoveshark.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49042 on: December 21, 2016, 05:14:33 am »

I should do that. Can they break out of copper/lead cages? Cuz I just bought like 15.

Mine have been in wooden cages for ages and they're fine.

I think it's only flaming or fire-breathing enemies that can escape from cages, by setting fire to/melting them. And apart from dragons, they all either live in the magma sea or are trapavoid.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49043 on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:18 am »

Started a new Fortress, using the old world of "Toyland", and found a nice valley nestled among some mountains.  A valley with a small brook, some trees (olive and kumquat mostly).  We have turkeys and pigs (and our first migrants brought us a few baby animals that may prove useful if I can keep them alive).

The problem I had for the first few seasons was too much work to do and not enough labor.  For some reason nobody was harvesting the plump helmets.  They were planting them but not collecting the mushrooms unless one of them was hungry.  For a few weeks, there were no drinks and they were drinking out of the brook.  And because I had locked up the turkey pens to protect some of the eggs, so they could hatch, we were down on the food too.  They were eating olives and kumquats they collected from the trees outside and drinking water.  Vegan, sober, Dwarfs. They did butcher two Yaks, but nobody did anything with the meat and even some of the Yak biscuits went rotten.  We had a tavern but no booze!   :P

But there is now booze, enough for winter, and food.  And it turns out the brook has mussels.  Also working on a proper water tank under the hospital, with a proper flood gate and floor grate and making sure the tank will be smoothed out and clean before letting the water in.    The hospital also has proper bedrooms, so if somebody turns "were" I can lock the door. 

I picked the embark for the mountains and not because it was the most ideal spot.  Still, doing okay. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49044 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:22 am »

I caught some Giant Elk on my savage volcanic tundra island. I've been taming them to make a very nice farming stock.

Also, what can I do with all these Polar Bear people I have?
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49045 on: December 21, 2016, 08:38:22 am »

Had an Ettin wander into my fortress and start towel whipping everyone

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49046 on: December 21, 2016, 09:41:08 am »

The fort's entered an unfortunate cycle:

1. Urist enters strange mood.
2. Urist claims workshop, starts gathering materials. I see that all is well and move onto other things.
3. Urist can't find a material he wants and sulks. I don't notice.
4. Urist goes berserk.
5. Urist takes a steel mace to the face.

It's happened three times in a row...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49047 on: December 21, 2016, 11:09:20 am »

Also, what can I do with all these Polar Bear people I have?
° Live training
° Discipline training after live training (causes stress)
° Reanimate with necro; go to step 1

° Syndrome testers
° "Does that direction have map edge connection" testers.

° Werebeast targets
° Hard to train and corral werebeast army.

° Conversation? My last queen said she wasn't upset about getting into an argument with chained giant tortoise.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49048 on: December 21, 2016, 11:40:13 am »

° Conversation? My last queen said she wasn't upset about getting into an argument with chained giant tortoise.

She was probably happy something was willing to be candid with her, even if it WAS a giant tortoise.  Being surrounded by Yes-dwarves and sycophants all day has to get old.  :P
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49049 on: December 21, 2016, 01:35:34 pm »

I also have a couple of caged elk trapped in ice. They've been stuck in there for a while. My cage storage got flooded by an aquifer. While I was having Fun trying to stop the flooding, I ended up digging trenches in attempt. So when I figured out exposing the water to the surface froze it immediately, they got trapped in ice. I dug out a few of them, but 3 are still alive and frozen.

Is this a normal thing?
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"
Pages: 1 ... 3268 3269 [3270] 3271 3272 ... 3839