Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3264 3265 [3266] 3267 3268 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120368 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48975 on: December 12, 2016, 12:04:03 pm »

The quiver is a rather cool one, with a lot of black bronze bands, spikes, and what not.  Of interest is an image of Rigoth Viperposts - this is the former king that died, accepting a duel with the goblins and finding himself outmatched by the goblin's human champion, a 10 year old boy.
That Queen has some angst. I think goblins grow fast. What's a 10 year old goblin in Dwarven years?

I look at it and it contains an image of her and some dwarfs.  The dwarfs are rejecting her and she looks confused.
Heh!

Stop showing off, everyone knows you're beekeeper.
Hahahaha.

As for myself? Trying to make my river subterranean so that it won't instantly freeze when I pump water into it. Also trying to get siege weaponry set up. But more importantly - there's an ettin, roc, goblin, gorlak, giant, troll, nanny goat, llama, and several dwarves & baby llamas that who hauling. And a cave crocodile decided to explode teeth all across the spot I was going to build my siege weaponry. Evacuated my hospital due to miasma. We have a backup hospital near the caverns but it needs more beds after we've finished mining out the new tombs. Ghosts are everywhere (#drowning) but at least I have soap! We've managed to seal off the staring eyeballs that grow outdoors, but there are still a lot of decapitated heads lying in the hallways. After all of this is dealt with, I'll try to find a layer of sedimentary rock, because I can't use the traders' blocks for plaster powder!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:18:34 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Ansgar111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48976 on: December 12, 2016, 06:35:27 pm »

I had my part of !!fun!! today. After my ,actually pretty well-trained, 7 dwarf military was dealing pretty decent with the fortress defense enemies, even defending an war elephant ambush clad in steel fullplate without casualitys, I didn't expect a puny goblin siege to wipe out 60% of my working population. I am playing without turtling and traps (just 4 cagetraps for some livetraining), so the staight on approach with greataxe, maul and warhammer is the only possible answer to the insult of stepping on my embark.
Well, it didn't quite work out this time because the difference in quantity sometimes overcomes the quality of shining steel and dense silver. The 10 trolls, 20 beakdogs and 4 squads of goblins including 5 lashers didn't have a good time either, but oh boy, the zergling approach after my military fell did hurt quite a bit. The poor little meatshields i sent out didnt even have time to grab a weapon or a shield. But the 30 peasants did slowly pulp the gobbos one after the other until apart from my precious legendarys only 7 peasants remained to bash on one leftover troll.
But I underestimated the enemy again! The regenerative abilities of a leatherclad troll are actually faster than the accumulated damage of 7 unarmed and untrained dwarves. after 3 month of bashing, passing out, bashing, passing out,etc from both parties one of my woodcutters had mercy and lopped the head off the troggo.
Usually my forts are pretty save, because I easily get attached to my little bearded maniacs, but this one will get elevated to glory again!

Here the unit and deaths, where only 2 deaths were before the siege. The enemies were already butchered or atom-smashed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48977 on: December 12, 2016, 06:40:32 pm »

Decided to try and build a long running generation fort for a change, so of course families and young dwarves of marriage age would be welcome as migrants. Instead what I'm getting in Roughcopper are truly geriatric migrants; more than half of my citizens are now seniors of well over 150 years of age. I may have to look into funeral arrangements of multiple dwarves before the first winter turns into spring.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48978 on: December 12, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »

We've completed the grand entrance hall (sans roof) and begun work on the nobles' chambers. I'm having fun making patterns on the floor with different-coloured stones.

Meanwhile we've put together a little setup involving a peahen and a lot of cage traps, in order to capture and train some cavern critters. My only interaction with the caverns so far has been reading the accounts of crundle genocide by the various forgotten beasts that wander through. My military killed one of them while protecting the miner who opened it up. Would be nice to catch some rare creatures before the FBs make them extinct. I've snagged a troll and a giant bat so far.

Speaking of my military, Toady must have upped the efficacy of training at some point, because the squad I hastily assembled not too long ago is now flush with Spear/Axe/Sword/Mace Lords. They've not had too much action yet, besides the FB mentioned above, and dispersing a small goblin siege (most of the work being done by one swordsdwarf who scored an impressive 10 kills!).

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48979 on: December 13, 2016, 11:24:26 am »

The quiver is a rather cool one, with a lot of black bronze bands, spikes, and what not.  Of interest is an image of Rigoth Viperposts - this is the former king that died, accepting a duel with the goblins and finding himself outmatched by the goblin's human champion, a 10 year old boy.
That Queen has some angst. I think goblins grow fast. What's a 10 year old goblin in Dwarven years?

Not sure, but in this case it was a human (according to Legends).  I imagine goblins kidnap kids as part of some "War Boy" program ala Mad Max.  The Queen btw has indeed made further demands for more quivers.  I've decided to place Ingtakfoker in a special stockpile next to the Leather shop where Boss can refer to it if needed.  :)   The Queen has some more serious angst to deal with though; her teenage daughter recently failed her basic training as a marksdwarf by reporting to a Station order at the base of the battlements as opposed to in the battlements with the rest of her squad.  The melee squads managed to heroically rescue her before a horde of White Tigermen ripped her to shreds, but she died of her numerous injuries a month later (I'm guessing from blood loss and an inexperienced Doc - she sprayed blood all over the place when he tried to set her compound fractures).  All were quite proud to find however that she notched a kill before she died.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48980 on: December 13, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »

As soon the last of the glumprong railings on the upper balcony and the guest room beds are installed the new surface tavern will be completed. Already we have guests arriving to enjoy the Matched Tummy and the views it offers of the horrifying goo covered desert.  ???
Tourists man.

We succeeded in trading with the dwarven caravan for booze and meat. I think our food/drink worries are nearly past. I never realized how much I depend on foraging/fishing.

Resuming construction on the main aboveground structure, but I may break off to create a separate barracks building.

Lots of new arrivals, engraver team is working non stop to smooth the place and the extra bedrooms are nearly done. CMD, Sheriff, and Militia Commander now have offices.

Sadly we're going to lose another moody dwarf. He wants yarn thread. There are no shearable animals in the whole fort and the idiot waited until immediately after the caravan had departed to announce this need. Oh yeah and the last failed mood guy finally died. He's interred in a servant's passage until I figure out where to put the mausoleum. Probably in a grandiose surface structure. Really enjoying the "conquer the evil desert" mission.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48981 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:29 pm »

As a fan of extreme biomes (beach, desert, etc.), I would very much like to see some pictures of your desert Fortress.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48982 on: December 14, 2016, 12:33:55 am »

I haven't abandoned Chamberknow, but it's on hold for a while... I started up a fort in a terrifying biome with an aquifer. Just a pick and an axe to keep my dwarves company.

They all died to giant peach-faced lovebird corpses within three days.

*sigh* haven't had this much !!fun!! in ages.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48983 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:50 am »

As a fan of extreme biomes (beach, desert, etc.), I would very much like to see some pictures of your desert Fortress.
It's not much to look at right now, we've just survived our second year, and after two failed attempts (One dehydrated melancholic and a berserk who went down to a 5 dwarf dogpile) we've just produced our first artifact! It's a glumprong ring. I wish I had enough wood to get any use at all out of a legendary woodcrafter but my own moral code won't allow him to conscripted as cannon fodder. Dude arrived as a papermaker so maybe I'll give him a job as a scholar.

Pictures at varying levels of zoom!
Surface level. I forget what we originally built the depot out of its been covered in goop so long. Probably glumprong. Lovely red cinnabar for the outer doors of the main fort and glumprong from the inner. Planning on turning the narrow entry halls into trapped chokepoints.

One level up the Matched Tummy sits above the trade depot, this way all traders and other guests don't have to enter the main fort to enjoy our hospitality. In the event of nastiness arriving they can lock the doors and hatches and hope that works. Will probably remodel this later. I'd like an ultra grand residents tavern above it.

Above this sits the guest rooms with railed balconies. Over in the main fort you can see the beginnings of the battlements. I'd like to also place noble's quarters up top.

Underground we have the original shelter dug when we first arrived, now a farm. Not sure what I'll do with the old dry moat, plans have changed since I dug it.

Next level down is livestock, with a servant's passage leading directly to the kitchens.

The main fort as it stands is in the first two stone layers. North of the main stairs are workshops with stockpiles next to and below them.
The dining hall is somewhat neglected at present, also housing a temporary barracks. Several hatches open into the food/drink stockpiles beneath, across the servants passage is the kitchens. Also in these narrow passages is our placeholder mausoleum. Eventually we will have a grand surface monument, but for now this keeps our dead out of sight.
Back up on the main level our hospital and adjoining waiting room in the south has just finished being dug out and smoothed. North of those are the future mayor's quarters and the broker, sheriff, cmd, militia commander's offices, and off to the east are bedrooms. A lot of this will eventually move aboveground probably.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48984 on: December 14, 2016, 04:48:25 am »

Blasting goblins off a cliff with a dust FB and then burning them with fire FBs was a terrible idea. Creatures, corpses, and even possibly **items** doused with dust will burn for months. Pouring water on the zombified flaming test subjects just made steam. Who knew this dust stuff was Greek fire in addition to being horribly toxic?

Fortunately the save got corrupted (ouch) and the last backup was just before I released the fire FBs from their cages. They've been replaced with magma taps, which should wash the flaming toxic dust off the armor. If I did it right it'll drain through the floor before it melts the valuable silver and copper. Another siege will be here soon enough.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48985 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:19 pm »

Blasting goblins off a cliff with a dust FB and then burning them with fire FBs was AN AWESOME idea. Creatures, corpses, and even possibly **items** doused with dust will burn for months. Pouring water on the zombified flaming test subjects just made steam. Who knew this dust stuff was Greek fire in addition to being horribly toxic?

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48986 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »

I think that's mostly the fault of the fire, really.

Not sure how fast silver and copper melts in magma. I expect magma mist would leave everything on fire again, though. When it happens to clothes again, paint a refuse stockpile under it? Won't work on the corpses, though.

@Pirate Santa:

Huh, that's unusual utilization of roads and floor with gemset. I wonder why some road squares are thin plusses?

Also, ewheh. I avoid genning worlds with evil rain - don't want the fps drain and ruining of landscapes, though occassionally it does lend itself to weaponizing very well.

Don't your fort citizens oft patch to the Matched Tummy anyway?

I don't think I've seen that graveyard design before.

PS: For me, I use 3-wide paths only for caravans, so the kitchen path misleads me.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48987 on: December 14, 2016, 03:45:14 pm »

Elderly migrants of Roughcopper have started birthing babies en masse after surviving the required nine months in the fortress. It must have been a shock for them to become parents at well over 150 years of age.

It pains me to think these babies have a very good chance of becoming orphans next spring...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48988 on: December 14, 2016, 06:27:45 pm »

Huh, that's unusual utilization of roads and floor with gemset. I wonder why some road squares are thin plusses?
No idea, might be something to do with the ground underneath the road? There are a bunch of boulders around. Anywhere that's floored is because I want to install doors/traps/statues. I used paved roads exclusively for outside when I want to mark out paths and keep the trees down in key areas.

Also, ewheh. I avoid genning worlds with evil rain - don't want the fps drain and ruining of landscapes, though occassionally it does lend itself to weaponizing very well.
Yeah it makes building outdoor areas difficult when everyone who uses them ends up despairing all the time.

Don't your fort citizens oft patch to the Matched Tummy anyway?
They do, though I would like to segregate it into a "common tavern" beneath where anyone can go, and above that have a much grander citizens only tavern. I'm just a tad bothered by random strangers wandering through the inner workings of my forts.

I don't think I've seen that graveyard design before.
Hahaha yeah :P Normally my stopgap is off to the side of a main corridor, but I'm toying with the aesthetic of having small service corridors running through the walls, and a small corridor no one ever visits seemed a good place to dump them until I build something permanent.

PS: For me, I use 3-wide paths only for caravans, so the kitchen path misleads me.
Yeah a two tile probably would have worked, but it will be fairly well trafficked between butchering, eggs, and hauling of plants and seeds to and from the stockpile next to the kitchen. I just need my second gosling to mature so they can start breeding.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48989 on: December 14, 2016, 08:15:36 pm »

I don't think the despairing does anything. More difficult is when your evil rain blinds or kills for life. Not sure if there's other particularly bad permanent effect the rain can have.

Mm. For me, part of the purpose of a fort is defending citizens behind array of nasty things. 'course, if a visitor turns hostile, I don't really have better non-military/war animal defence than "line floor with cage traps and hope people dodge into them", which isn't even possible for dance floor. 

If dwarves visit outdoor dwarves even with nice citizen-only tavern, burrows might work, but would be highly annoying. I'd love "exclude all expect those people" burrow setting.

Heh, yet to design a lavish graveyard myself. What I've had has been mostly secluded affairs, with carting corpses without coffins out of sight.
Pages: 1 ... 3264 3265 [3266] 3267 3268 ... 3842