Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3243 3244 [3245] 3246 3247 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122469 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48660 on: October 17, 2016, 05:05:08 pm »

I disabled fishing. It's just too much of a risk to leave dwarves outside when they could be dying by more reasonable means.

I can always import fish. Cheap labor is [EXPUNGED]

EDIT: Selected information expunged due to lack of dwarfiness, as seen in review. Post designer executed on treason, found guilty as threat to the forums.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:46:53 pm by Calidovi »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48661 on: October 18, 2016, 06:28:52 am »

My fortress is in the second year and 2 goblins showed up to snatch the children.
one ended in a cagetrap, most likely because i put them in a pattern so the invader can be scared by a dog and flee into the traps.
the other while panicking ran north and south along the eastern wall while the hunters stood on the drawbridge in the west blocking the only exit. he then ran downstairs and died there.
The mayor and the baron couple aren't happy with their rooms and i might need to dig out new rooms for both.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48662 on: October 18, 2016, 03:09:13 pm »

Just recently Created a new fort after my previous fort Got slaughtered by a werelizard. One of my long term objectives is to make my fort WEREPROOF. Currently, my fort is doing fine, We have a decent supply of beer, metal, and everything we need, and we have trade routes set up. Now for a drawbridge.

Some plans I have.

1.WEREPROOF
2.Using the miasma for a gassing chamber for Barons Tantrumspiral control Those Fucking kobolds Elves, elephants and werecreatures.
3.A TEMPLE FOR EVERY GOD? WELCOME TO FOCKIN CANADA!
4.Leaning how to engrave drawings properly.
5.Better butchering
6.Long term military/Official military
7.Dig as deep as possible
8.Have both types of fun.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48663 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Duke who demanded a crystal window was just dead. Oh, yeah.

By the way, 20 legendary dorfs fought 100-200 goblins and beasts. 5 dorfs were killed. For some reason, their war dogs didn't follow them and decided to use burrow instead(otherwise they would have 50 more meat shields).  :-X
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:19:17 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48664 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:03 am »

Yeah, war animals follow military alert restrictions. This can be good or bad, depending what you think.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48665 on: October 19, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »

Just found two migrants were all cheese makers and legendary marksdwarves. ???

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48666 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:44 am »

Sounds like The Littlest Cheesemaker took up a ranged weapon to honour Darkerdaffodil.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48667 on: October 20, 2016, 03:51:07 am »

I started a "surface only challenge", which will evolve into "secret library" and "Tavern research" projects.

It rains a LOT where i embarked, and it is apparently subtropical, because it does not freeze.
all the soil is loam.  despite there being a "volcano" the embark is completely pancake flat. the mouth of the volcano is more like a "magma tube" from prior versions.  the area is lush with vegetation and dense with temperate fruit and nut trees.

I did cheat a little on the challenge by channelling down one layer into the loam around the magma tube, to create the secured area of the fortress courtyard, and makes the retainer for the obsidian caster.  this gets rid of pebbles, boulders, and other obstacles to contiguous farm plot construction, but did not supply materials.

since there is no clay, and no sand, and this is a surface only challenge, a basic survival shell fort made of wood was hastily erected, and obsidian caster is slowly charging for business.  obsidian from the caster looks like it will be the only stone available, and will eventually be the main building material.

the plentiful fruit trees are more than satisfying my food and booze needs at the moment.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48668 on: October 20, 2016, 08:08:35 am »

The group of dwarves, known to the world as "The Naughty Volcano", continue work on an obsidian spire named "Devilpit" perched on the lip of a very naughty volcano indeed.  The frequent rains of human blood from the heavens keeps anyone from getting too comfortable, and the tower has a most satisfactory crimson sheen to it.  Talks have been ongoing in regards to starting a live-capture program for the many elephants who roam the volcano's slopes.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48669 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

The first migrants in 3 years arrived in the midsummer of the year 79, bringing the struggling population up to 41 as the plague of serpents shows no sign of letting up. I'm not sure what deity my expedition pissed off, but despite the placement of a trio of war dogs in the area and the digging of a protective trench we've still had 6 dwarves attacked since the summer of 78, leaving two permanently injured and one dead. We didn't have the manpower to exterminate the snakes before, but with these new migrants we can spare the men to go out and get the damn things. Maybe once we've killed a few dozen of them something other than poisonous snakes will drift in. Until then I've reduced the exposure of the population to the snakes by having only farmers bring in the harvest, bringing the livestock in to graze at the public park, and reducing logging efforts for the time being. It'll slow down construction considerably, and put a lot of stress on the farmers because of the increased workload, but the safety of the workers is more important than a construction project with no timetable.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48670 on: October 20, 2016, 12:39:40 pm »

but the safety of the workers is more important than a construction project with no timetable.
I'm afraid I must ask you to turn in your Dwarf license.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48671 on: October 20, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »

I chose a metalsmith as my character in this latest fortress.  It's my turn, so I'm the the overseer and get to work on the armor and weapons for the squads. 

Reading some background, she (my character) migrated with her husband four years ago, but 2 kids are missing, probably dead. 
2 years in, they have a kid, and 3rd year another kid who died at age 1. 

Fast forwards on the 4th year, she was possessed for a mood and claims a magma forge.  A quick forbid of all bars except iron (no steel in fort, no flux in map), and iron bar is the first item gathered. 

It took almost a month when nothing happens, "cloth ... thread" is probably listed twice in a row, so shearing and spinning sheep produced the last time. 

2 days later, she gave birth to a baby boy right on the magma-forge, in the middle of a possession mood.

Lucky, this did not interrupt the mood, and 2 days later, an iron shield artifact is created. 

I quickly military equip this for her.  Then she proceeds to seek infant who crawls away 4 days earlier.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48672 on: October 20, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

I want an explanation.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48673 on: October 20, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »

im working on my first DF story, ive stopped at the spring migration wave of the second year because im cataloging each individuals name, a quote, and some details about them when they arrive, and ive gotten over 20 migrants this wave. migration waves seem so much smaller when your not paying attention to the individuals.
so far ive lost a dwarf to a giant honey badger, he was 13 and married, his wife who is 16 was almost died to the badger as well, but she avenged him with a fatal blow to the badgers head, the force snapping its neck. she survived with a mangled left leg. shes a farmer and dosnt have to do much walking so shes able to do her work with crutches. her husband was given a large mausoleum as he was the forts first loss. i have their names written down but i cant be bothered to look through the text file im writing that catalogs the forts events.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48674 on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:25 pm »

I want an explanation.

Wow.  do kobolds have the CAN_LEARN token?

immortal, necromancer kobolds.... what will they think of next...
Pages: 1 ... 3243 3244 [3245] 3246 3247 ... 3842