Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3241 3242 [3243] 3244 3245 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122578 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48630 on: October 11, 2016, 08:35:49 am »

Veilclasps endures, having survived the attempted flooding by the fire imp (see above).  It has grown into a thriving metropolis, despite the omnipresent threat of the insidious murk and its hideous husked slaves.

The trade depot is constructed of gold, which glitters nicely in the smoothed black walls of the jet seam in which it is built... most visitors confess themselves more impressed by the elaborate temple across the entrance hall to Avgol, god of wealth and trade.  Apparently word of the fort's wealth has reached the goblins, as they have begun to send 'visitors' - I suspect spies among the goblin performance troupes which insist on coming to our taverns.  Amusingly enough, the first few invasions have been partially husked and ended up doing more damage to themselves than to my soldiers.  Since weapons-grade ores are something we do not have beneath the ice, I welcome the bronze and iron they carry, though the quality of their forged goods is utter rubbish.  Sarvesh the Armorsmith laughs each time he gets a load of so-called "armor" for the melt pile.

A terrifying giant tarantula appeared in the caverns, but managed to get itself killed by troglodytes.  Perhaps it should have stayed forgotten.  I had one of the masons carve a statue commemorating the event and set it up outside the walls of the fort... the troglodytes come and stare at it for hours.  Scholars have never been able to determine if they were truly thinking beings, but it certainly looks to me as though they remember something about it... or maybe they are just puzzled by carvings of themselves.  The gods alone know.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48631 on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

A mayor, a broker, a mechanic, a brewer, a cook, a farmer, and a doctor decide to build a house by the stream after spring break. 
A family Giant Crocodile can be seen on the far side of the river on the east, so they ignored these untamed wild animals. 
The mechanic spends time figuring out how to pierce an aquifer.
The kitchen is doing well, with an undergound farm and booze is being made as soon as barrels are made from logs.

A cloud drifts by in the northwest and left.  A cloud drifts by on the southwest and dissipates.  Another cloud forms on the southeast, and there is now one Giant Crocodile husk opposing life and proceeds to murder its family.

The settlers had little stone to work with, and so they start erecting wood pallisades around the wagon.

The farmer for some reason grabbed a bucket to fetch water by the stream and this attracted the husk. 

The farmer managed to run closer to the outpost, dodging most bites, but eventually stood his ground and punching.

The commotion is heard, and soon everyone jumps on the Giant Crocodile Husk.  Despite having copper picks and copper battle axes, they proceed to punch and kick and bite.

One by one, each becomes exhausted and falls unconscious as Giant Crocodile Husk ignores the fallen and focused on who is punching and kicking still. 

Eventually, every has fallen to the ground, but likewise, Giant Crocodile Husk too is badly damage. 

Fortunately, a flock of harpies enter from the south, and soon the husk start chasing these harpies to the east.  Eventually, they all left the map.

Unfortunately, the farmer has been found dead.

The mechanic first woke up and got himself a drink from a murky pool. 

The dorm have 6 beds waiting placements for beds, so this was turned into a hospital. 

The mechanic picked up each surviving settler and piled all of them in the corner dirt floor of the makeshift hospital, and he begins to dabble in doctor related professions.

The buckets became a tool of survival to provide drinks.  The kitchen food stores is bountiful for meals.

There are no threads, cloths, nor soap.  The mechanic scoured the tropical land and found cotton plants for picking.

Dabbling as a thresher provided thread.  Dabbling in weaving soon made cloths. 

A month passed switching between health care provider and jack of all trades manages having the remaining 5 up and about.

The mechanic continues to dabble.
Dabbling in masonry to make a quern.  Dabbling in wood crafting netted wooden jugs.
A superior presser is made.  Soon, a rock nut is made into paste and pressed into oil. 
A dabbling Wood Burner and Lye Maker and Carpenter soon made turns ash into a bucket of lye.
A rock nut oil soap is finally made by a Dabbling Soaper.

Such optimism was abound!  They expanded the quarry bush farm to gain more rock nuts.  They are thinking a palisade of soap would be a grand endeavor.

The flock of harpies arrives just when a drifting cloud turns all of them into flying husks.  The husk harpies paths onto the unprepared settlement and ate the recovering dwarfs.

The mechanic ends up drowning in the blood tainted aquifer.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48632 on: October 11, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »

The tavern I have set up is resulting in a mountain of long-term residents. Because I pretty much just accept the petitions as soon as they pop up, my population's shot up from 50 to almost 80 in just the past couple of in-game months. It's good for filling out my starving military ranks if nothing else, though I do think I'll end up having to be more selective in the future once the population cap approaches (because how many performers do I really need?).

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48633 on: October 11, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »

Finally getting around to harnessing the fiery might of the deep earth to put some lava in that moat...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48634 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:24 am »

I got attacked by a tundra titan made of amber, with webs! I locked everyone indoors and hastily rebuilt my cave-in trap, but it was not needed. The human merchants managed to kill it, with great loss of life to themselves, but no dwarfs died, which is what is important

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48635 on: October 12, 2016, 11:02:01 am »

I finally solved a string of mysteries around my fort. I had a bunch of random accidents and 2 years of the human caravan arriving, stopping at the depot then running off and leaving behind a destroyed wagon.

Turns out the dogs were overcrowding their pasture and it was causing the occasional fights that would result in people dodging into taking damage (or not dodging I guess?). Hence the injuries & deconstructed wagons :/.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48636 on: October 12, 2016, 11:07:17 am »

I finally solved a string of mysteries around my fort. I had a bunch of random accidents and 2 years of the human caravan arriving, stopping at the depot then running off and leaving behind a destroyed wagon.

Turns out the dogs were overcrowding their pasture and it was causing the occasional fights that would result in people dodging into taking damage (or not dodging I guess?). Hence the injuries & deconstructed wagons :/.

Dog meat stew, coming up!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48637 on: October 12, 2016, 02:54:33 pm »

I got attacked by a tundra titan made of amber, with webs! I locked everyone indoors and hastily rebuilt my cave-in trap, but it was not needed. The human merchants managed to kill it, with great loss of life to themselves, but no dwarfs died, which is what is important

It's not like any people died.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48638 on: October 13, 2016, 03:38:46 am »

One of my miners recently fell into depression, even though no-one else in my fortress is unhappy. And its not like he has and dead relatives or anything. But when i looked at his personality screen i found a possible reason. Turns out "He personally can't fathom why anyone would want to live in an orderly and harmonious society, and finds the ideas of independence and freedom somewhat foolish". Thats a rather big conflict there, and perhaps this mental conflict is driving him mad, funnily enough he also dreams of creating a great work of art.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48639 on: October 13, 2016, 03:52:24 pm »

He'd rather have disorderly... order... Like being constantly in conflict with his neighbors, or something. Maybe?

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48640 on: October 13, 2016, 07:26:57 pm »

I have a craftsdwarf, Aban Shecededem, who I'm near certain will die soon. She's thrown two tantrums, actually in the midst of one right now, and has multiple permanent, massive injuries. Lung damage, both knees, and left something else on the leg are STILL sutured after more than a year; no improvement, and she keeps becoming "Shaken" by major injuries. For most of that year, after suffering severe protracted beatings from several escaped goblin prisoners (unarmed, but the dang slow militia didn't help matters), she has been "Stressed". For four months now, I think, she's been "Drawn and haggard", after two or three bouts of Depression so far and the two tantrums.

How do I save this dwarf?
It's not too important, but it'd be nice to save her life. Even though her skills amount to very little useful. She likes shale; I've fitted her room with that stuff. That's ... about it for accomplishable likes. Although her ultimate goal was to raise a family, and she has had 5 kids at the fortress ... so ... that's still not saving her hide, though it did slow down (last time she had a child) the bouts of tantrums and depression by a month or so. This fortress is excessively rich in gold, has individual rooms plus 8 "stress rooms" going to nobles once I get more. She's in one, full of shale and gold. I'm probably going to assign her a tomb sometime soon ... xD. Massive dining room with an artifact ... chair I think, could be table, serving as anchor for the room. There's like 100 each chairs and tables in there. For a population of 178 or something.
And she's tantrumming, which is my problem with it. I need her to not do that, even if she just goes and dies in a corner, she needs to not damage useful members of the fortress...

Anyways, cleared out my three heavily armed goblin captives. It took about 30 bolts or more, but the marksdwarves killed one (bleeding while not under fire anymore) and subdued two. However, the first militiaman inside, despite ordering ALL of them, including raw recruit squads, was the Legendary Hammerdwarf Militia Commander ushrir Duraddoren, a multi-Legendary supersoldier megadwarf who laid both surviving goblins out with a couple blows to the head. So there was really no need to disable them first, he could've annihilated ALL of them on his own ... seriously. It would've been a slaughter the minute he stepped in the door, hammers flying and goblins crumbling.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48641 on: October 13, 2016, 08:23:37 pm »

::)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48642 on: October 13, 2016, 11:11:26 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48643 on: October 13, 2016, 11:18:30 pm »

::)

I'm... not sure how they managed that.
Looks like they were all getting up there with the 2 southern u/d stairs. The guy furthest south built a wall south of himself and blocked the staircase.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48644 on: October 14, 2016, 07:53:07 am »

In the early spring of 262, the magma pump was finally turned on,just over three years after construction began. The molten rock flowed hundreds of metres upwards, spreading out into the vast chamber built underneath the room which will become the center of all Midorok's fuel using industries. Never again will a lack of wood be a major issue, though the demand for potash will allow us to continue taunting the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 3241 3242 [3243] 3244 3245 ... 3842